Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
On current form, I reckon I would prefer to have Brown down back than Short.
Unfortunately Brown was poor in the VFL today had about 4 possessions playing mostly on the wing.

Reactions: 2 users

TheCan

Tiger Superstar
Jul 17, 2011
Trade bait for mine, not a midfielder rioli better at half back and i dont want him near f50

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Your kidding aren’t you

Nope.

Give us your best team inc. Dusty Billy.

Who can you justify on current ahead of Short for the last couple of spots.

He's a liability one on one defensively and a panic merchant in the midfield.

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Trade bait for mine, not a midfielder riloli betterat half back and i dont want him near f50
He won't be traded. I don't disagree with your rationale but he signed a five-year deal a few months ago, the coach and players love him, and his best is proven good enough in the hottest kitchen.

(Who would have thought I'd be the one defending Short!)

(I feel a bit dirty now :D )

His best is good enough but his worst is nowhere near acceptable, especially for a now senior player, on a big contract, in his eighth season. He'll be given the chance to work it out, but he needs to.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
He won't be traded. I don't disagree with your rationale but he signed a five-year deal a few months ago, the coach and players love him, and his best is proven good enough in the hottest kitchen.

(Who would have thought I'd be the one defending Short!)

(I feel a bit dirty now :D )

His best is good enough but his worst is nowhere near acceptable, especially for a now senior player, on a big contract, in his eighth season. He'll be given the chance to work it out, but he needs to.
Can we still delist him??

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
I am glad nobody on this forum works at the club . Short has played one bad game against Freo . And some say he isn’t in out best 22 , really
Time to give Punt Rd End a spell !

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Nope.

I don’t think he’s a panic merchant in midfield , deep defence he does use that Ellis style dump kick a bit too often , his work up the ground I dint have a problem with

richards42

making the crowd roar
Sep 15, 2005
Gold Coast
I’ve always thought wing would suit. He wouldn’t have to defend one on one and has the skill to set up the forwards .

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Against Port, 5 clearances, 5 tackles (19 from his last 3 games) and 539 metres gained, well and truely deserving of his place in the side.

Reactions: 5 users

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
Nope.

For every laser beam he has what feels like three times as many sky high punts or no look snaps or flat out missed targets.

I don't rate his one on one work or defensive abilities that highly either. Perfect trade target in my opinion if I was being completely honest.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Against Port, 5 clearances, 5 tackles (19 from his last 3 games) and 539 metres gained, well and truely deserving of his place in the side.
People need to remember that Short was moved from defence to the midfield not because of form, (that is where he earned his 5 year deal), but because we wanted to change the dynamic in the midfield and because we had options to cover him in defense, (not to mention that we have a new gun metres gained distributor down back in Rioli), but were light-on on-ball.
Position is new to him and he hadn't trained it so doing an admiral job in my book. I reckon a pre-season focusing on the intricacies of the role we will see marked improvement. If this transpires I will be much happier having given a 5 year deal to a newfound midfielder than a back pocket.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
People need to remember that Short was moved from defence to the midfield not because of form, (that is where he earned his 5 year deal), but because we wanted to change the dynamic in the midfield and because we had options to cover him in defense, (not to mention that we have a new gun metres gained distributor down back in Rioli), but were light-on on-ball.
Position is new to him and he hadn't trained it so doing an admiral job in my book. I reckon a pre-season focusing on the intricacies of the role we will see marked improvement. If this transpires I will be much happier having given a 5 year deal to a newfound midfielder than a back pocket.
that is true. I think the frustration is that Short's long term weaknesses are quite pronounced at present. A lot of his kicks are aimless, he can be fumbley under pressure-real or perceived, and his attack on the ball is not always great. A preseason with the midfield probably wont change that- though it help with positioning etc.
He wont be dropped, and or traded, but a lift in form would help a lot in September.

Reactions: 1 user

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
For every laser beam he has what feels like three times as many sky high punts or no look snaps or flat out missed targets.

I don't rate his one on one work or defensive abilities that highly either. Perfect trade target in my opinion if I was being completely honest.
Against Port we had a few players kicking very poorly like Baker and Prestia...not hitting targets, especially in the first half.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Jayden Short’s season stats so far.

AFL:

#1 for most kicks: 19.7 per match @ 70% efficiency.

#1 for metres gained: 600 metres per match.

Richmond:

#1 for disposals (465).
#1 for kick (374).
#3 for marks (104).
#1 for uncontested footy (305).
#5 for score involvements (92).
#5 for clearances (44).
#3 for tackles (59).
#1 for inside 50s (94).

Source: AFL Record.

Reactions: 5 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Unfortunately Brown was poor in the VFL today had about 4 possessions playing mostly on the wing.
Brown hasn't neem much chop in many games at all that he's played this year.

He look good in the pre season then just fell away after injury.

I must admit I've got some doubts on his desire to be at the RFC considering we took him right before the Cats were probably going to and his old man played for them.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Brown hasn't neem much chop in many games at all that he's played this year.

He look good in the pre season then just fell away after injury.

I must admit I've got some doubts on his desire to be at the RFC considering we took him right before the Cats were probably going to and his old man played for them.
Graig they set us up. If Brown was any good they wouldve stooged another club to get a better pick to bring him over.
We gave them pick 19 and they got a ready made running machine in Holmes.
I'm not convinced our development under Clarke & Morris is any good.