Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Still really disappointing for me. Just not dangerous any more - as ToO pointed out, 2 goals in 6 games - that's not good enough and I believe he is getting games on Name rather than performance. Our SFs have under-performed for a long time and it's cost us Stack who was thrown forward to fill the void far too early in his career; and now we've lost him.
Posters are backing DRioli in on hope or faith. Not me; I trust performance and haven't seen anywhere enough for a loooong time. I'd be prepared to throw in a fast, marking option who can still use the ball at ground level, just to see how it works. A Markov or even Callum Moore. Colonwood are succeeding with these types, a good mobile forward does not HAVE to be a midget. Or time for Aarts to have a go.
Or throw Baker back forward ... uh no, no can do, we no longer have Stack to go back. [Going to be fun to see who takes Cameron next week now].

Reactions: 1 user

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
For me, he has shown a few glimpses of returning to form, yet he does also appear indecisive on many occasions.
Seems to have lots his instinctive style of play.
However, can't see MC dropping him at this point because that would be season over in the seniors.
To drop him next week and then bring him back in the first or second week of finals doesn't seem a likely or workable solution.
Plus, who would replace him?
Really hoping that he can find that spark again against the Lions.

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
Rioli just needs to ensure he is chasing and tackling and putting the fwd pressure on. That’s his go. That’s what makes us a far better side. FWIW - in 2017 he had only managed 3 goals in the 5 games leading into the prelim where he played a blinder and kicked 4. It’s the other stuff he needs to be at the top of his game.... hopefully the goals will come.... hopefully in a big final - in truly Rioli style!

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Was pretty poor today, not playing on instinct. Clearly playing with no confidence at all. Either side of quarter time were a perfect example, slowed the game down and then high floaty kicks with no real direction.

Yep has lost his attacking instincts. George looked better with the ball in hand.

Another thing I would insist on and show him the footage of him always doing his hair. I would encourage him to shave it all off and go into footy beast mode.

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
I have no idea as its just observations, I wouldn't rule out living with fevola changing his personality/character.

I saw the Bob show interviewing Fevola and whilst he could play he is a massive tool that is so full of himself I struggled to finish it.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Seems confidence based? In the glory days of 2017 his first instinct when getting a ball was to take off. Yesterday it was very clear that 'stop and prop' was his thing. Has he lost his burst due to the ankle injury or is it affecting him psychologically?

I used to shuffle in my seat when I saw Rioli near the ball, knowing that something would happen. Now there's an expectation that he will hold it for a while before doing anything.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I think he got too heavy over the pre season hoping to secure that midfield role. Didn't eventuate. Bolton has taken that role. In 2017 (pre foot injury) he'd have no problem having 5 efforts in a row at full pace. When people thought of our forward pressure as our signature, Rioli was the poster boy for that. Now though he's just a moderately talented HFF who doesn't kick many goals or make many tackles but does some good team oriented things. Those types are a dime a dozen in the AFL. He's at the crossroads IMO.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Lets just take this boy to another Finals season. Give him the opportunity and he will do some Rioli stuff when it matters.

Reactions: 3 users

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
Just loved his game. Chased and created all day. Minor blemish in the last when he took too long with a set shot but love him in the side

Reactions: 1 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
More signs today, hes showing more, just had a few mis touches and mis timed efforts that wouldve made his game more exciting.

He is a Rioli and they play in September its what they do.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Let's hope so.
Needs to step up quite a bit.

It's coming .... at times he's nearly there and nearly happening
He's doing things and trying things and that final touch of class is eluding him but we need to hold tight
Reckon it'll happen in the next couple of games

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Lets just take this boy to another Finals season. Give him the opportunity and he will do some Rioli stuff when it matters.

So this. The work rate defensively is back to about 90%. The offensive game is rising for finals. Will absolutely have moments in finals. The banana today was just the beginning.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I have no doubt he will sieve his twitch fibres out of The Fevolas spa bath over the next fortnight,

and set the Gabba alight.

If he was a horse, you'de be betting more than you could afford to lose on him next start.

Last edited:

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
He only kicked 1 goal, but that’s what I wanted to see. Created, ran hard, played on instinct.

Next notch please, Daniel.