Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
written on his wrist tape friday night
Just play
Chase
Aerial

He should add 'be more specially aware than Justin kositchke'

I think Danny has lost a yard, which his game is built on, and his confidence is pretty shot.

the lost yard could be 1. new injury, 2. old injury or 3. extra bulk.

worrying

Reactions: 1 user

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria

I think Danny has lost a yard, which his game is built on, and his confidence is pretty shot.

worrying

Isea. Thoughts.

Maybe swap him with Baker Boy.

Give him a role on a small forward.
Give him some responsibility to gain his confidence. I know Bake Boy is a revelation and love his attack and smile but we need a spark forward.
Stacks been a disappointment this year both forward & back. Try him again? Try him on ball? Try him on a wing?
Maybe try Danny on ball with his mate Shai?
Something outside the box thinking.
We need to try something to spark the wing , on ball help & forward.
Castagna play permanently half back like his junior days. ???

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
A shame or a scandal he was and is on twice the money than we were playing Butler. I know who I would much prefer running around in a tiger jumper at the moment.

Butler was putrid in his last year at Tigerland. Played with hesitation and no confidence.
Watching him now reminds me that confidence is between the ears and the change of scenery has transformed him.
Daniel needs to freshen things up. A spell and pressure release might help him rediscover his desire and drive. Playing him into form is having no success and maybe elevating his stress.
Hasn’t lost his ability overnight

Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Isea. Thoughts.

Maybe swap him with Baker Boy.

Give him a role on a small forward.
Give him some responsibility to gain his confidence. I know Bake Boy is a revelation and love his attack and smile but we need a spark forward.
Stacks been a disappointment this year both forward & back. Try him again? Try him on ball? Try him on a wing?
Maybe try Danny on ball with his mate Shai?
Something outside the box thinking.
We need to try something to spark the wing , on ball help & forward.
Castagna play permanently half back like his junior days. ???

EZ.jr say Bakes is 'Pure Backman' and I tend to agree.

Stackman wont have forgotten how to play footy. maybe he didnt handle ISO as well as some, but he'll be right.

Danny's form slump is baffling and disturbing, but ill back the coaches and him to work through it.

4 goals in a prelim again would be nice.

Reactions: 1 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
EZ.jr say Bakes is 'Pure Backman' and I tend to agree.

Stackman wont have forgotten how to play footy. maybe he didnt handle ISO as well as some, but he'll be right.

Danny's form slump is baffling and disturbing, but ill back the coaches and him to work through it.

4 goals in a prelim again would be nice.
Watched that prelim the other night - Danny was a completely different player.

He should be made to watch that game over and over again.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Watched that prelim the other night - Danny was a completely different player.

He should be made to watch that game over and over again.

Danny was incredible that day.

But dare i say it, so was mason cox the prelim after.

I really hope dannys pace and uncanny spatial awareness returns soon.

nswtiger

tiger army tiger army!! thank you very much
Feb 14, 2005
Nrth NSW
he has to play with some freedom again .he seems/or it looks like to me ..................he is too worried about making a mistake instead of just doing it!

is he over coached? ...........who is our forward line coach?....................sticking to the forward line/team structure instead of playing what is in front of him ....might be doing his head in!

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Does he look slower or is it just me?
He has lost his partner in crime.
The 3 amigios are no longer.
Castagna Bulter & Rioli.
Did Hardwick make a mistake allowing Bulter to walk?
He had genuine speed.
We will never know

houstontiger

Tiger Rookie
May 26, 2014

worrying
yes, the key to our small forwards is speed to be able to get to the opposition with the ball and put on effective pressure or even tackle. Over the last 3 years we have used a combination of Butler, Castagna, Rioli and Bolton mainly to play this role. Kick long, Reiwoldt and Lynch bring the ball to ground and the smalls attack. It’s worked for 3 years. Now Shai is up in the midfield and Rioli looks slower than previous years so opposition defenders have an extra bit of time to move it out. Higgins and Lambert are good players and Aarts could be ok but they are all too slow for this game plan.

so we either stop kicking it long or we bring in the 3 fastest guys we have on the list and tackle like crazy. If RIoli has lost a yard which I agree he has either get him a sprint coach or get him fit/un-injured or simply tell him to pull his finger out and start trying. What ever the reason it’s not acceptable at the moment.

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
Does he look slower or is it just me?
He has lost his partner in crime.
The 3 amigios are no longer.
Castagna Bulter & Rioli.
Did Hardwick make a mistake allowing Bulter to walk?
He had genuine speed.
We will never know

Butler looks ten times the player Rioli is at the moment. Pace, defensive pressure, goal kicking... that injury he had looks like it really took a toll in 2018/19... looks back his 2017 best .. hindsight is always great - but at this stage i think its been a decent mistake letting him go.

Reactions: 5 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Butler looks ten times the player Rioli is at the moment. Pace, defensive pressure, goal kicking... that injury he had looks like it really took a toll in 2018/19... looks back his 2017 best .. hindsight is always great - but at this stage i think its been a decent mistake letting him go.

Its funny what a bit of offensive play gives you.

The defensive stats of both players over the last 3 rounds is below. Tackles and PA's.

ButlerRioli
TacklesPATacklesPA
RD 8
6​
17​
6​
17​
Rd 7
4​
24​
3​
24​
Rd 6
1​
12​
0​
13​

The problem for Rioli is that he is delivering very little in offence compared to Butler so people are assuming his whole game is off.

I think it looks massively like a confidence issue, we don't see everything on the TV, its one of the things I miss the most with the lockdown, being able to watch the game from the stands where you get a completely different view of the game and can see all the work being done off the ball.

• Love

The Lurker

In Victory We Thrive, Eat Em Alive
Nov 24, 2003
Melbourne
The shot at goal was out of character, generally lock those in from Danny, missed by alot. Confidence is an amazing thing, hope he gets it back this week.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
The shot at goal was out of character, generally lock those in from Danny, missed by alot. Confidence is an amazing thing, hope he gets it back this week.

He should get some confidence this week playing against Labrador 2nds.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I wonder if we might try Rioli in a tagging role on Caleb Daniel this week. He is quick enough to keep up with him, and a lot of the rebound they get comes from him. Whilst they also have Johanison and Crozier, Daniel is bar far and away the more damaging.

Score involvements and rebound 50's for them are below.

Daniel - SI - 4.25 - R50 - 4.38
Johanison - SI - 3.12 - R50 - 2.12
Crozier - SI - 1.86 - R50 - 2.86

Riolis confidence is shot so maybe lets use his defensive traits to our advantage and focus on shutting Daniel down rather than looking for Riolis offence as the primary part of his role on Wednesday.

Reactions: 3 users

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
I've been focusing on Rioli more the last couple of games. What I am seeing is that he is getting to the right spots and seems around the mark, but then looks devoid of confidence with ball in hand. Its almost like he doesnt want to get it for fear of making a mistake. I dont think he will get dropped as his pressure game is there (sort of), but offensively he provides us nothing ay the moment.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Love Dan but this season should be when he really steps up. He is now due to step up.
Time to stamp himself on the comp.
Has the tools but seems to witness too many contests.
Did absolutely nothing for three qr and then decided maybe he owed supporters a little more and his last qr was good.
Absolutely should be dropped.