Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

thegdog

Tiger Champion
Sep 28, 2009
Love the bloke at his defensive best but has been ordinary for so long. His cousin takes his spot and only a streak of good performances in 2s gets him back in

Punt n Brunton

Tiger Purist
Sep 17, 2003
When I watch his highlights, I see flashes of brilliance and spontaneous footy. I just don't see that anymore. I see a player who is slow of mind and decision. He never plays on instinct anymore, and just goes back over his mark and bombs it long to no advantage. Where are the crumbing goals? Roving the pack at speed? It's all gone from his game. And the defensive pressure seems to come and go as he pleases. Just not reliable enough anymore.

Reactions: 5 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
He's averaging 1.5 goals a game this year and kicked 0.4 against the Hawks. He's on track for 30 goals. Castagna is doing even better. Good signs.
1.2 goals a game now. On track for 24 goals. Next week it might be 1 goal a game. Kicking or not kicking goals isn't really what concerns me. It's how he continually fumbles or mis judges the ball and his extremely slow reactions that sees him continually get caught. It costs us big time. He needs to spend some time with Baker who virtually never fumbles. Sadly I think M Rioli is competing for his spot and I wouldnt be surprised if by end of year, the M is in the side in place of the D Rioli.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
When I watch his highlights, I see flashes of brilliance and spontaneous footy. I just don't see that anymore. I see a player who is slow of mind and decision. He never plays on instinct anymore, and just goes back over his mark and bombs it long to no advantage. Where are the crumbing goals? Roving the pack at speed? It's all gone from his game. And the defensive pressure seems to come and go as he pleases. Just not reliable enough anymore.
Yep perfect example tonight last quarter. Had a mark forward of wing. Wrnt back, waited 15 seconds then bombed it straight into Gawn's arms. The 2017 Rioli would have taken the game on.

smokin joe

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 11, 2004
Yep perfect example tonight last quarter. Had a mark forward of wing. Wrnt back, waited 15 seconds then bombed it straight into Gawn's arms. The 2017 Rioli would have taken the game on.
In fairness to Rioli no one moved for him at all stagnation every where kicked it to Gawn and Jack down the line
melbourne players flooded back everywhere
Not defending his poor game though

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Not just Rioli, our whole forward line is too stagnant.

Let him off the leash, he needs some sort of circuit breaker as Rioli is just not adding much to the side at the moment.

I would give him the chance to redeem himself, but I think his role must change as he isn't doing it so well, and the way teams are now moving the ball along the boundary with short passes and handballs is negating his role.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
In fairness to Rioli no one moved for him at all stagnation every where kicked it to Gawn and Jack down the line
melbourne players flooded back everywhere
Not defending his poor game though
Maybe players have decided not to move for him anymore as he does this almost everytime he marks the ball. There's no typical Rioli flare I suspect because he thinks he'll get caught. Needs a stint somewhere not AFL level to get it back.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Not just Rioli, our whole forward line is too stagnant.

Let him off the leash, he needs some sort of circuit breaker as Rioli is just not adding much to the side at the moment.

I would give him the chance to redeem himself, but I think his role must change as he isn't doing it so well, and the way teams are now moving the ball along the boundary with short passes and handballs is negating his role.

DS
Agree , I’m not convinced he is a good enough footballer to be a wingman/ midfield type, obviously he has played his role to an outstanding level, however just continues to make to many little mistakes I.e fumbly, missed tackles . Certainly not writing him off however with so many mids out , I think it maybe worth having a look at Dan up the ground and Maurice deep

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
He does seem to turn away from goal a lot when he gets the footy recently, it wrong foots everyone else. He's lost the instinctive stuff he did in 2017.

Reactions: 2 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Maybe the lad has lost the hunger and passion or quite simply his enjoyment of playing the game.

If that is a possibility I was hoping Mojo's arrival would reignite his fire, but it doesnt seem to have done so.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Maybe the lad has lost the hunger and passion or quite simply his enjoyment of playing the game.

If that is a possibility I was hoping Mojo's arrival would reignite his fire, but it doesnt seem to have done so.
This is the worry of winning 3 out of 4 flags at a young age. Thought the same with Bolts. I really think it's something to do with his personal life and/or just follows his orders to play forward more. Who really knows.