Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

Very quiet thread this one.

Think Daniel's had a poor pre-season. Game wise anyway.

Does he look a bit heavy? and not running on top of the ground yet like he can.

Has plenty of credits and will hopefully flick a switch once the real stuff starts.

As one of the few that can really put the opposition on the back foot with pace and skill he's in the top handful of important players in our squad.

Ita crucial he's at his best.
I criticised his game last week and was torn down.

Last night I saw no different.

He has not had a great pre-season and its not just based on the last 2 games.

Time to bite the bullet here.
Rioli and Short are too similar, playing the same role, lack strength in the air and defensively, also can be loose.

Baker needs to go back.
Can play one of Short or Rioli down back - I think Short stays back and Rioli goes back to his 3 Premiership job as a tackling forward who can finish.

Set him up next to MJ and Shai, throw in Cumbo and we have some spark.

Shai and Dan can pinch hit in middle

May help fix Bakes up as well, and out horrible ground ball competitiveness down back

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Seems to have escaped scrutiny from yesterday’s game.

There were patches of his blistering run through the middle but not enough for me.

15 possessions for a half back is not good especially one we rely to drive us forward.

Daniel has had a poor preseason.

Seems to have escaped scrutiny from yesterday’s game.

There were patches of his blistering run through the middle but not enough for me.

15 possessions for a half back is not good especially one we rely to drive us forward.

Daniel has had a poor preseason.
Seems like he only got going when our midfield did in the 3rd - makes me wonder, was a he a baromiter in the sense that him lifting helped lift the team? Or in the sense that when the team was good, it was easy for him to do his job & that made him look good?

Truth is probably somewhere in the middlem I think at his best he's good enough that it should be the 1st option, but something makes me suspect it learnt more towards the 2nd option, which is a letdown for a player as talented as him

Time to bite the bullet here.
Rioli and Short are too similar, playing the same role, lack strength in the air and defensively, also can be loose.

Baker needs to go back.
Can play one of Short or Rioli down back - I think Short stays back and Rioli goes back to his 3 Premiership job as a tackling forward who can finish.

Set him up next to MJ and Shai, throw in Cumbo and we have some spark.

Shai and Dan can pinch hit in middle

May help fix Bakes up as well, and out horrible ground ball competitiveness down back
Yep. We need more pace and spark in thr fwd line and I'd be looking at players like Daniel, Seth, Cumbo, MJ and Coulthard to provide that. For mine Bolton and Dusty should play mid/resting fwd. Bakes back to the backline with Short while blooding the likes of Trezise and Brown.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
These Thursday Round 1 games are now 9-1- 6 In our favour.
5th biggest crowd of the 16.
in no year have both teams finished the season in the 8. (Aberration of 2013 doesn’t count)

The first two games have been a huge regression. Senior player now needs to step up.

Had an ankle issue last year for the back half but has no excuses now.

Time to bring him home to where he creates havoc for defenders??

I just want to see a dangerous Richmond small forward again.

He's my favourite player to watch.

Reactions: 1 users
Was worried his poor pre-season form would continue into the season and unfortunately it has occurred.

Too important for us to have him having so little influence.

Reactions: 3 users
I keep banging on about it but pace in the forward line is crucial. DRioli, Coulthard, Cumberland, Clarke, Seth at the feet of Lynch and Balta would create havoc. not just pace for chasing and applying pressure, but the ability to sustain hard running up high and then doubling back to provide options in our open fowd line on the counter. As good as Dusty and Shai are in the fwd line they don't have the running ability to provide this and make us a bit static up fwd.

Reactions: 4 users
He got a boot to the head in the 3rd qtr and I was surprised they didn't Concussion him off the ground.
He took ages to get up. He looked hurt
he has a bit of the cumberlands about him in that he exaggerates some of the knocks and hits.