Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett!

checkside

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2005
Australia
We have 27 fit players right now and need to list a squad of 26 every week, so at this point there is only 1 player not being genuinely considered each week.

Given Banks will come in for Short, I’ll give you the COMPLETE selection of our available fit players that you think should replace Marlion:

Samson
Naismith
Cumberland
Coulthard
Green

Which one of these will contribute more in your genius opinion?
There is also Smith. But he should not be rushed considering his previous injury as well.

But genuinely agree with your point, slim pickings at the moment to replace Marlion even if we wanted to.

Reactions: 1 user

checkside

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2005
Australia
Like some other posters, I was a huge advocate of getting him to 100.
But he has served up some stinkers this year.

We have 17 Games left in the season.
He needs to play 16 of them to get there.

On form he must really close to getting dropped.
If he misses 2 games he would have to play next year to get to 100.

Getting harder and harder to make a case for him.
The easiest way to make a case is look at the available replacements.
Also with the way we are going it would be doubtful he could even get through the year with no injuries.

His next court case is on the 8/05 as well. Sure plenty of time to get back for our game on the 11th but missing from training for the main session that week you would think.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Love Marlion but he can do the dumbest things. Started the rot with awful decisions and disposals.

Imagine it would be very difficult to stay positive and play with the court case hanging over you.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Only Nank, Daniel, Graham and Bakes had more contested possessions for us. Put him in the guts and Dow in the bin.

The time has come to be looking to the future and I think this is closer to it than what we are running with at the moment. Put Marlion into the middle essentially as a defensive tagger on their best mid. We should have done this yesterday to Yeo, he threw Dow around like he was a rag doll.

Give Banks or Hugo a long run on the wing, possibly Coulthard too, they deserve a run of games like anyone. We've tried it with Dow, 6 games in a row. Only once has he potentially looked AFL quality (against the Swans). Take that game out and he has won 1 centre clearance from 77 attended and its not even just not winning the clearance, its that his direct opponent is then monstering us out of the clearance.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I just saw Pickett's youngest son kick a footy on a video. Better than his dad but still not very good.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
One component of why we love footy is romance. I love the romance of this sub plot to our season. In terms of his form, he's a polarising player, always has been. He can play 5 great games, then if he puts in a poor one the haters are baying for blood, quicker than they are for more conventional players, thats footy. I think his form this year will be fine, he'll have an OK year at worst, and for the medium term at least the cupboard is bare. The almost zero margin for error injury or suspension-wise is more likely to kill the fairytale.

Reactions: 1 user

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Not sure why Pickett wasn't put in the middle seeing we were being smashed in clearances and were relying on kids like dow and macauliffe.

Reactions: 4 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Led the team for ground ball gets (we were smashed in ground ball), fifth for contested possessions. According to the official AFL ratings points (they used to recognise how good Shedda was when few others did), he had a better game than Dusty, Dow, McAuliffe, Sonsie, Nank, Kosi, Young, KMac, Brown, Campbell, Short, MoJu and Hugo. That puts him in our top-10, on an off-day, with seven fit players outside the team. Do the maths.

Reactions: 9 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Really want him in the middle. Somehow whenever he goes in there (even as a ruck) we seem to do pretty well. Need a senior body in there at the moment.

Reactions: 1 users