Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett!

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Cornehead called him this morning
'A one game wonder'
What an absolute Fkknuckle of a bloke.
Top 3 in a GF mind you knucklehead.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Wondering if all these black lives protests and the focus on aboriginal disadvantage has had an unsettling effect on Marlion and Daniel, effecting their form?
Nah, I think the global pandemic and not training for a few months might be the problem. They're just not fit.

Reactions: 3 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Wondering if all these black lives protests and the focus on aboriginal disadvantage has had an unsettling effect on Marlion and Daniel, effecting their form?

I think for Marlion it is more about how am I going to pay my rent and feed and clothe my 4 kids on about 40k and no future contract inked.

Reactions: 8 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Alright, alright you told us ;)
Covid-19 has caused Marlion to have a bigger interruption than most. When the season got put on hold he shifted the family back to Wa, and then had a couple of house moves during that time.
He has also had well documented financial struggles due to his contractual status. Thats not an excuse but a possible reason for his average form.
He's a fighter, I'll back him in to take it on the chin and come back better.

You and Hutstar have described the huge challenges he's had to deal with well. It's been tough - even more than usual - for Marlion and family. I also back him to adjust his game and make it back as a very useful player.

But all the media attention and public acclaim after one excellent game, which just happened to be a winning GF, could go to anybody's head. It would be easy to be fooled into believing you've made it, a star, when it takes years of perseverance and consistent performance at a high level to ever reach that. He must learn when to dispose of the ball quickly and when there is some space to be used and exploited. Even Dusty has adjusted to this by handballing more as teams have put more study into combatting his Don'tArgues and tackle pressure in numbers on him.

At RFC, it's all about team play.

Reactions: 3 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I'd back him to get back into the team and make a solid contribution.

3 games in and possibly the strangest start to an AFL career possible, add to this concerns about his family and supporting them and a dip in form, which is more normal than not for a player new to the highest level, is not a big surprise.

He has the talent and plenty of motivation to get back, I really hope he does.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Not quite the case, the players are back on full base money. For those with match payments, the basic has reduced by 50% ($4000 per game to $2000) but after taking 50% cuts for April and May they were back to full payment for June. So on an annual basis they have taken about an 8% cut.
Sure, but he was on the poverty line at 100% of his salary. Any disruption would have massively ramped up the pressure. I’m not convinced with Marlin but a mature player with 4 kids needs at least 100k. I hope they give him a new contract for decent mney, even if it’s just a 1 year extension. Only fair.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Cornehead called him this morning
'A one game wonder'
What an absolute Fkknuckle of a bloke.
Top 3 in a GF mind you knucklehead.

Some many things going on in and around Marlion it would be impossible to pinpoint one reason for his form. For me he seemed to be playing confused and as a result would lay a bump rather than tackle and try and take on 3 blokes rather than use Cotchy.
Give him a few easy runs in the 2nds to clear his head and just play footy.

Reactions: 4 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
On reflection, I think Marlion has been brutalised.

throwing a 4th gamer, at 183 into the ruck, and then dropping him?

only for him to standout BOG in the guts in the 2's?

Grigg was 190 and had played a few hundred times.

FFS. way too cute.

end the M.Pickett farce. He's a sublime footballer. he's not a *smile* ruckman.

play him. let him dance the weird Covid dance.

Reactions: 6 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
On reflection, I think Marlion has been brutalised.

throwing a 4th gamer, at 183 into the ruck, and then dropping him?

only for him to standout BOG in the guts in the 2's?

Grigg was 190 and had played a few hundred times.

FFS. way too cute.

end the M.Pickett farce. He's a sublime footballer. he's not a *smile* ruckman.

play him. let him dance the weird Covid dance.

A criticism of our coaching staff of late has been how we've thrown many around all over the place positionally.
Things have been unsettled enough without over thinking it.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Unless someone at the club puts a rocket up his ar*e he will go down as a one game wonder. No heart, no effort and no interest

I would rather we were getting games into Ross (as a midfielder), Dow or RCD than watching Picketts efforts again.

RaoulJuke

Tiger Rookie
Sep 17, 2016
In the fart-bubble which was that *smile* poor match, i thought he was fine. His possession is better than most. Was the least of our problems today

Reactions: 4 users

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
Burns first options which is a bit of a worry... gets good position and possession, looks like he’s going to do the team thing and first option, but then retains and does some odd things.

Reactions: 2 users