Welcome to the Tigers Oleg Markov | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Oleg Markov

Oleg was really good against the Suns. And passable against the Dogs.

Only a few years ago one of the coaches said Oleg was the quickest learner at the club. Of what, particle physics? Oleg's 2016 form deteriorated over the next few years where he seemed to lose any semblance of small game.

At VFL level Oleg's form was at that level and never prolific. A bit better than fringe VFL. If he was a threat it was in the air and then rarely. Couldn't mop at half back. Couldn't get it. Cameos as a marking forward.

Oleg got the ball at ground level against the Suns. I haven't seen that for four years. And then broke a line. Like a small.

Those who've seen him get the odd kick at VFL level would probably have a pretty dim view of his prospects. I have done.

But despite Oleg's wasting four years on quantum quasi tall he has finally regained his AFL form of 2016 and looked like a footballer. Funny that. Delisting looked absolutely certain last year but for a generous contract extension based on rumours of Nobel prizes. And must have been on the cards at season's end.

Maybe Oleg has learned. That it's urgent.

Reactions: 8 users
If people think he goes out just because Houli comes back have rocks in their heads.
Markov did everything he was required to do on Monday night.
I had him 2nd best behind Cotchin.
Put him on the wing or half forward.
If people think he goes out just because Houli comes back have rocks in their heads.
Markov did everything he was required to do on Monday night.
I had him 2nd best behind Cotchin.
Put him on the wing or half forward.

Im a big fan...i dont think ive seen a player so balanced at such speed with the ball ...he can decide on options as late as possible..tom & jack will love him.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm disappointed that we didn't have that on the cards. Grimes promoted to tall. Bungling a little bit. But totally at the level of AFL tall defender in a reigning premier. Broad never at that esteemed place, despite our respect for all that he does.

Back in the VFL days, young Broad was sent to the HBF to play what we recruited him for, running HBF. He was ok but for the whole can't kick thing. And should have been gone.

But stuff happened behind the scenes. He got coached. Everybody faced facts. Broad became the most fearless VFL defensive aerialist I've ever seen. And athletic. He would jump clean over three contestants as a matter of routine. And be smashed and get up.

He was promoted on the back of that endeavour. Early Fly days. And Nathan Broad would not be beaten at AFL level in the air. And he would play smart to get a stoppage.

And then a premiership. Much like 2017 for two years. And then another premiership.

Skip to 2020. Down to Love out, long-term. And Grimes is chosen the be the tall. Broad left to play the role he was recruited for all those years ago. Running back. He was ok, wasn't he?

Broad is not a running back. Oleg keeps his spot. Bachar in. Is it treachery or the meritocracy? Broad out. And, rumour has it, on the market.

All this going on and Oleg keeps his spot. This is serious, mum.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
He has everything but...good vision and decision making. Thats what is holding him back. Don't think it will come. Just coughs it up and bombs the ball. Not AFL standard use. ..sadly. does everything else right.

Reactions: 1 user
If he is to survive at the RFC and become a 22 incumbent its not going to be in defence for mine.

Wing or Half Forward where we are lacking pace is his go.

As a forward he can be the chase and tackle man with his pace its his biggest asset.

Reactions: 1 users
give him Georges place and get Broad back, but i like what he's doing anyway

Reactions: 1 users
Definitely best 22.

I disagree.

He's not a best 22 player as a defender, maybe he's better suited up the ground and I think he is..

A good game against the Suns who are sheizenhausen doesn't frank a best 22 AFL player.

But I'd give him next week up the ground to be a pressure forward with his pace.

Broad comes back to combat the West Coast big forwards.

Markov goes to wing / half forward possibly at the expense of George or Stackie who are going like busteds.

Reactions: 1 user