Welcome to the Tiggers - Daniel Butler | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tiggers - Daniel Butler

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
I reckon we need to get harder and smarter when it comes to valuing so-called peripheral players.

Lloyd, Ellis, Miles and Stengle left last year for collectively bugger all. While Stengle struggled for games and Ellis had his injury issues, all of these players made a contribution at AFL level for their new clubs. This is how they should be valued. Not on the basis of their diminished worth to Richmond.

In the case of Lloyd, he's the leading goal kicker at one of the most feared clubs in the top 8 going into this year's finals series. For what? Pick 64!!! I'm still scratching my head over that one.

Butler is either (A) on the outside at Richmond or (B) a very valuable acquisition for a club that desperately needs forward line pressure, elite goal craft and a winner's mentality.

For mine, pick 39 does not even get the conversation started.

Reactions: 1 users

Tygrys

Tiger Superstar
Apr 25, 2004
Pick 39 seems the most likely (Carlton don’t have 34, we do):

However, given that we already have several decent picks this year (and the blues only have three inside the first 65), I reckon we might go for a future pick. Last year’s Stocker trade showed the blues are prepared to back themselves to improve, so maybe a trade of 2020 second rounders?

We really need someone else to be interested to ensure they can’t use the threat of the PSD.

Firstly, I would prefer to lose Butler for nothing to another club than allow him to walk to Carlton for a rubbish pick we don't intend to use. I would inquire as to whether Gold Coast would be interested in him in PSD. If they are I'd get back to Carlton and tell them that they have to trade fairly (a near impossibility for them I know) or we'll let him go to Gold Coast via the PSD. Also, there is the bonus of maintaining our very good relationship with Gold Coast.

Even if they get their house in order there will still be a reasonably continuous trickle of talented Victorian kids wanting to come home. Of all the clubs that I want to be in a good trade relationship with, Gold Coast would be number one.

Last edited:

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
They must have had a chat.
He wouldn't go to visit another club unless he has been told his opportunities moving forward are limited.
You get feeling he won't feature this season.
I always laugh when I see that Drinkwise ad with Dimma talking about Dan's banana goal from the boundary in the granny.
He remembers that just doesn't remember Dan's magnet on the whiteboard every Thursday at selection.
Thanks for your efforts Butts.
Forever an Rfc Premiership drought breaking player!

Reactions: 4 users

Batchelor Party

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2011
USA
It's the end of the year once again for Carlton, they're all packing up to go on holidays. Dan had to get in there before the place was deserted. We used to take vacations in September as well but we got out of that habit.

Reactions: 2 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
respectfully disagree

Sorry, trying to figure out why Pick 34 wouldn't be fair. I'd say that would be a good deal for us and for Carlton. I am expecting a 3rd so would be happy with Pick 34. I'd also be happy with their 2nd next year and I'd give them our 3rd this year so an upgrade of picks of about 20 picks in the draft.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Sorry, trying to figure out why Pick 34 wouldn't be fair. I'd say that would be a good deal for us and for Carlton. I am expecting a 3rd so would be happy with Pick 34. I'd also be happy with their 2nd next year and I'd give them our 3rd this year so an upgrade of picks of about 20 picks in the draft.

I said on the other thread he's worth pick 20-25. he'll be in the starting 22 of most sides (definitely Carlton). he'll get a pay rise there I'm sure and being a premiership player also adds currency. plus Carlton owe us from the Yarran saga.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
It's the end of the year once again for Carlton, they're all packing up to go on holidays. Dan had to get in there before the place was deserted. We used to take vacations in September as well but we got out of that habit.
:mhihi Cartoon are still sponsored by the caravan industry.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Not sure he is worth 20-25 when he can't even crack the senior team?

Would have thought early to mid 30's would be fair.

smokin joe

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 11, 2004
Poor visiting another club when your teams in finals if your getting a game or not

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014

Yep a pick 34 could get us another Ross. Would do that sort of deal every day of the week.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I said on the other thread he's worth pick 20-25. he'll be in the starting 22 of most sides (definitely Carlton). he'll get a pay rise there I'm sure and being a premiership player also adds currency. plus Carlton owe us from the Yarran saga.

I think you are overstating his ability purely because he is a premiership player. No way we get anything that high.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I think you are overstating his ability purely because he is a premiership player. No way we get anything that high.

Additionally, unless Gold Coast or Melbourne are interested in him, apparently not, Carlton could just get him in the PSD so why would they give up their 2nd draft pick?

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
I like Dan Butler. He can be electrifying quick when he's at his best. He'd be so much better of he built his core up allowing him to run through some tackles.

Bolton is a classic example, although still slight, he has an arse on him and regularly shakes tracks off.

I can't remember Butler getting through a tackle where an opponent gets reasonable purchase on him.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I like Dan Butler. He can be electrifying quick when he's at his best. He'd be so much better of he built his core up allowing him to run through some tackles.

Bolton is a classic example, although still slight, he has an arse on him and regularly shakes tracks off.

I can't remember Butler getting through a tackle where an opponent gets reasonable purchase on him.
When he runs in a straight line he has no side step. That’s where he is inferior to Bolton. He is a better tackler that Shai but that gap is closing . Bolton is superior over head as well.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
I reckon we need to get harder and smarter when it comes to valuing so-called peripheral players.

Lloyd, Ellis, Miles and Stengle left last year for collectively bugger all. While Stengle struggled for games and Ellis had his injury issues, all of these players made a contribution at AFL level for their new clubs. This is how they should be valued. Not on the basis of their diminished worth to Richmond.

In the case of Lloyd, he's the leading goal kicker at one of the most feared clubs in the top 8 going into this year's finals series. For what? Pick 64!!! I'm still scratching my head over that one.

Butler is either (A) on the outside at Richmond or (B) a very valuable acquisition for a club that desperately needs forward line pressure, elite goal craft and a winner's mentality.

For mine, pick 39 does not even get the conversation started.
Problem is with trading is that draft picks are very difficult commodities to deal with.

We need to rate butler and attach a required pick to him. Say we rate him Pick 25.

North have that pick and if north don’t want him then Carlton have to aquire that pick from north.

If Carlton can’t get that pick from north then they have to try to get pick 20 out of melbourne.