Welcome to Tiger land Riley Collier’Dawkins | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tiger land Riley Collier’Dawkins

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
V frangers

Riley Collier-Dawkins (29 disposals, five inside-50s, four clearances, three marks)

"He's in a really good patch of form. He's been really solid in-and-around contents and bursting from stoppage the way we know he can. He continues to find the ball and used it well on the weekend."

If he could only do that v Geelong

His age and size would be very helpful if he clicked at AFL level

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Agree, he was good yesterday and those numbers in isolation look impressive.

However, he’s a 22yo AFL listed player in his 4th season. He really should putting in performances like yesterday every single week but he hasn’t.

I still think it’s time for both parties to move on. Riley’s had 4 years and hasn’t established himself in the best 22-26 players on our list yet. The Club has put a lot of development into him but it hasn’t paid off like both parties have probably hoped for. Time give others an opportunity.
Miller is in his 5th season

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
We did draft him as a project player.

And we should expect a higher number of late bloomers than usual following the complex challenges of covid.

Reactions: 4 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
For mine a *smile* moral to be on our list next season and likely in the ones. A year older than Dow who may be a fraction ahead at the same age.

He's not Trent Cotchin. He never will be.

COVID hurt these youngsters. RCD trends up every month. In the VFA he is a monster. Slow? Yeah, nah. The big white sticks beckon. The big ones, Riley.

If RCD gets the arse it's about compliance. We can get him to comply.

Reactions: 9 users

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
I don’t recon we should ever be saying someone is a development/project player openly. Surely it can effect their sense of urgency to deliver NOW. I think another year is probably on the cards as there are a few less likely to come on ahead of him for the chop.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
For mine a *smile* moral to be on our list next season and likely in the ones. A year older than Dow who may be a fraction ahead at the same age.

He's not Trent Cotchin. He never will be.

COVID hurt these youngsters. RCD trends up every month. In the VFA he is a monster. Slow? Yeah, nah. The big white sticks beckon. The big ones, Riley.

If RCD gets the arse it's about compliance. We can get him to comply.
Not sure Jack on this one.

For a guy trending up he has been overlooked for selection when our midfield stocks were at their lowest. He was overlooked by an unfit Sonsie (I say that with all due respect to the Sonz as he had no preseason).

Reactions: 2 users

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
Agree, he was good yesterday and those numbers in isolation look impressive.

However, he’s a 22yo AFL listed player in his 4th season. He really should putting in performances like yesterday every single week but he hasn’t.

I still think it’s time for both parties to move on. Riley’s had 4 years and hasn’t established himself in the best 22-26 players on our list yet. The Club has put a lot of development into him but it hasn’t paid off like both parties have probably hoped for. Time give others an opportunity.
He is a slow developer and playing well at VFL level shown by his stats but it's hardly fair to say he's had 4 years with us when he didn't play matches for 2 years due to Covid. Same goes for all our VFL squad, look at how Miller has improved.

Reactions: 1 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
We did draft him as a project player.

And we should expect a higher number of late bloomers than usual following the complex challenges of covid.

Someone on PRE said, (was emphatic about it actually), that Riley got low possession numbers in Juniors and that is all he will ever get playing against men.
Ok Riley has been out of favor with selectors and many on PRE of course but the one thing that has improved are his numbers, he averaged 21.35 possessions over the VFL season and finished the season strongly averaging 27.5 possessions for the last 5 games.

I think he will probably make his own decision to look elsewhere and should have no trouble finding a suitor.

*I would prefer him to stay another year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
Someone on PRE said, (was emphatic about it actually), that Riley got low possession numbers in Juniors and that is all he will ever get playing against men.
Ok Riley has been out favor with selectors and many on PRE of course but the one thing that has improved are his numbers, he averaged 21.35 possessions over the VFL season and finished the season strongly averaging 27.5 possessions for the last 5 games.

I think he will probably make his own decision to look elsewhere and should have no trouble finding a suitor.

I remember reading we had Butler on the delist pile with 4 weeks to go in 2016 VFL season, but in the final matches of the year he punched up his disposals and goals almost out of nowhere, which was enough to win another contract and played in 23 AFL games and a flag 12 months later.

Think RCD's game sense & field positioning is his biggest issue, and a very hard to correct but a 5 game 27.5 disposal average indicates hes still a chance

Reactions: 7 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Ok Riley has been out favor with selectors and many on PRE of course but the one thing that has improved are his numbers, he averaged 21.35 possessions over the VFL season and finished the season strongly averaging 27.5 possessions for the last 5 games.

4 of his final 5 games were against bush league teams. he had 20 against the Lions in that time.

i dont have a view on whether he should stay or not, but posters bumping up his late season form are ignoring the quality of the opposition.

Reactions: 4 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
If Taranto comes in Riley slips one further back in the pecking order and I doubt "Yeah, but you'll get a game when Cotch and Dion retire" will be enough to hold him if another team comes bearing opportunity.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
4 of his final 5 games were against bush league teams. he had 20 against the Lions in that time.

i dont have a view on whether he should stay or not, but posters bumping up his late season form are ignoring the quality of the opposition.

I'm ignoring nothing & have been to many of those games, were purely adding content to 123 cups project/late bloomers post and presenting hope that Riley is capable of and is improving his numbers regardless of the opposition, as for improving his other shortfalls I think one more pre-season will give us the answer.
Many here have already made up their mind and that's fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I'm ignoring nothing & have been to many of those games, were purely adding content to 123 cups project/late bloomers post and presenting hope that Riley is capable of and is improving his numbers regardless of the opposition, as for improving his other shortfalls I think one more pre-season will give us the answer.
Many here have already made up their mind and that's fine.
my post wasnt directed at you, just in general.
The club will decide whether or not to keep RCD based on factors that we cant judge, and I am happy with that. I just dont think a few high possession games against weak opposition at the end of this season will have much impact on that decision.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Even if Cotchin plays again next year and we get Taranto, I'd be inclined to give RCD another year. His high possession numbers this year in the VFL would indicate that he has improved in areas that he needed to.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
It's a difficult decision. He has been slow to develop, but he has also lacked opportunity with COVID disrupting everything.

Clearly RCD is not quite AFL level at the moment, he is closer but not there yet.

If he stays it is maybe a 50/50 chance if he can improve enough to make it. If he leaves it might be a new lease of life at another club and we will have no idea whether he would have made it at Richmond.

Really depends on whether we have space in the list numbers and salary cap although he wouldn't be commanding a big salary.

I would tend to go for 1 more year. Has enough size to be a mid but has been unconvincing.

DS

Reactions: 5 users