Welcome to Tiger land Riley Collier’Dawkins | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tiger land Riley Collier’Dawkins

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I happened upon a stat. I was actually looking at Xavier O'Halloran, taken two picks after Riley, after I saw him do a couple of nice things against Geelong. He's equal-10th, with Caleb Graham and Luke Jackson, amongst Rising Star-eligible players (under 21 at Jan 1, fewer than 10 games played prior to this year) for centre clearances per game, at a whopping 0.50 per game.

Only four of these kids are averaging more than 1 centre clearance per game. Crashin Chad Warner (1.08), Tom "The Prodigal Grandson" Green (1.18), Matt "How Long Will It Take Them To Realise He Ain't All That" Rowell (1.20).

And Riley "Collier" Dawkins, at 1.88. 50% more than the next bloke, who's the Second Coming of midfielders.

Get a running coach, Riley.
It's his defensive running that is the problem. He's looked really poor when the opposition has it.

Rowell will have his injuries as an excuse for 5 years.

Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I happened upon a stat. I was actually looking at Xavier O'Halloran, taken two picks after Riley, after I saw him do a couple of nice things against Geelong. He's equal-10th, with Caleb Graham and Luke Jackson, amongst Rising Star-eligible players (under 21 at Jan 1, fewer than 10 games played prior to this year) for centre clearances per game, at a whopping 0.50 per game.

Only four of these kids are averaging more than 1 centre clearance per game. Crashin Chad Warner (1.08), Tom "The Prodigal Grandson" Green (1.18), Matt "How Long Will It Take Them To Realise He Ain't All That" Rowell (1.20).

And Riley "Collier" Dawkins, at 1.88. 50% more than the next bloke, who's the Second Coming of midfielders.

Well we certainly could have used some centre clearance help on Saturday, that's for sure.

RUNVS

Tiger Superstar
Aug 10, 2008
It's his defensive running that is the problem. He's looked really poor when the opposition has it.

He is not a two way runner like The Meatball, who is sooooooo good at getting back to help the defense.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003

Are we too obsessed with defensive running?

I don't recall Dusty running defensively ever in his early games. or even now

Paddy Cripps wouldn't do too much defensive running.

Can we just harness RCD's strengths and see how he goes? His tank may improve with time and experience and confidence.

I get the feeling that we overplay this aspect of our players development. I get the well rounded game and all that but....

Rioli has shown what he can do when he doesn't have to chase arse and cover grass

Ross looks confused and buggered running up and down the wing

get runners to run and ball players to get the ball.

dunno - could be wrong.

Reactions: 14 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

I am not even sure a running coach will fix this issue.
Maybe he just cant run or ever have that aerobic capacity to be that transitional midfielder?

I see more upside in Martyn than RCD in being that transitional midfielder we need.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

Can we just harness RCD's strengths and see how he goes? His tank may improve with time and experience and confidence.

I get the feeling that we overplay this aspect of our players development. I get the well rounded game and all that but....

Rioli has shown what he can do when he doesn't have to chase arse and cover grass

dunno - could be wrong.
All fair points but I suspect the club and coach want the defensive aspects to be improved.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014

Wait. What?
Are you saying we should be comparing RCD to players his age and not our stars like Lambo and Dion?
Are you sure?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Elite in a narrow range of areas.

Not a hybrid midfielder who can run both ways.

The way he connects with the group should determine how much we persist with him IMO... same as Jack Higgins.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014

dunno - could be wrong.

Tend to agree. I think RCD needs to improve defensively, but given his ability in the clinches to extract the ball I'd hope there's no requirement for it to get to Graham levels.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne

dunno - could be wrong.
The trouble is you can't make exceptions for all but a select few otherwise no one does any defensive running.

I am not even sure a running coach will fix this issue.
Maybe he just cant run or ever have that aerobic capacity to be that transitional midfielder?

I see more upside in Martyn than RCD in being that transitional midfielder we need.
That is quite possible, SA.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
I hate seeing playing in the reserves. No coincidence that a few kids had their best games against the 18th team on the ladder.

Would like to see him play the last two games.

Reactions: 4 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Running is his issue - needs to run all day, both ways. Can find ball and use it. Just needs to get to contest after contest.
I think is problem is finding the ball, it was his achilles heel as a junior. When you're predominantly in the middle you're alway going to get a clearance or two. Don't think he has a problem using it, particularly his quick hands.

I'm just mildly concerned that an inside midfielder in his 3rd year when most of our midfield was injured, that he only managed 8 games at 14 disposals and 6 contested a game.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
I think is problem is finding the ball, it was his achilles heel as a junior. When you're predominantly in the middle you're alway going to get a clearance or two. Don't think he has a problem using it, particularly his quick hands.

I'm just mildly concerned that an inside midfielder in his 3rd year when most of our midfield was injured, that he only managed 8 games at 14 disposals and 6 contested a game.

Really when you look at it the VFL has been largely non existent for the last 2 years. Makes development of draftees problematic imo.

RCD still has a lot of development to come & time to do it.

Reactions: 4 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Really when you look at it the VFL has been largely non existent for the last 2 years. Makes development of draftees problematic imo.

That's right, there have been so few VFL games and very disjointed season this year after a lost season in 2020. Development of young players is very difficult at the moment.

DS

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014

Yes and that's when the class comes out in times of limited development. I wouldn't say a lot of time to do it. Starts next year as a 22yo in his 4th year on the list. Graham is only 2 years older, Bolton 1 year, Stack is younger. Gives a bit of perspective. RCD is contracted next year and he'll want to start impressing, I don't think he'll be given the luxury of developing in the reserves for another 2 years. Time to shine.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014

I,da say that 14 disposals a game is reasonable for a young pup.
Contested ratio is good too.

BUT agree that next year is no more excuses and he has to show more

Punt n Brunton

Tiger Purist
Sep 17, 2003
The club needs to be honest with where he is at, and perhaps make a tough call. If we look to bring in one or two midfielders with experience from other clubs (eg. Taranto and/or Cerra), it just relegates RCD further back in the pecking order. Right now, he has some trade value as other clubs will pay overs based on his potential. Another year wallowing in the VFL, and he loses virtually all trade value.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Average speed across the ground. May not be the fastest out of the blocks, but will keep it going all game. Screenshot_20210821-193154_AFL.jpg

Reactions: 2 users