Welcome to Tiger land Riley Collier’Dawkins | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tiger land Riley Collier’Dawkins

Yeah but this excuse has been trotted out for RCD and others who haven’t progressed yet plenty of kids drafted from COVID impacted 2020 and 2021 are making their mark.
Many of the others will have had senior opportunities and continuity.
In some ways it's probs harder as he had to break into the top side.
Now the door is open so lets see what he can do this season

Reactions: 1 users
I hear that RCD was supposed to be a 'project' a few times on this forum. If that's the case then its just a wasted pick. Projects shouldn't be midfielders at pick 20. Projects are rucks. it's a bust pick. full stop.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
RCD may never be a world beater, but I reckon he will be a rotation mid in an AFL team. Hopefully us, because we are desperate for big inside mids that also have some toe. Unlike Corey Ellis, who showed absolutely nothing at any level - RCD has shown glimpses of his potential in this role.

I hear that RCD was supposed to be a 'project' a few times on this forum. If that's the case then its just a wasted pick. Projects shouldn't be midfielders at pick 20. Projects are rucks. it's a bust pick. full stop.
Have you read who was taken after him?
Maybe 5 decent players in the lot.

It's interesting how much emphasis they put on physical traits such as height and size in this pre-draft look:

Note that his main strength is to win the contested possession and handball out of a stoppage, and that he "always" gets his arms up in order to release those elite handballs.

But that's a double conditional.

If A, then B

If B, then C

He's only ever shown elite traits in C, while being described as below average in every other area of the game.

His pace assumes he has the smarts to run into appropriate spaces, but without those smarts, his pace would be a non-factor in the midfield, so again, his elite trait is a double conditional. You won't see it at AFL level unless all conditions are met.

The link also says he struggles to get the ball in transition because of physical factors (endurance). But people tend to over-attribute things to physical traits when it happens in front of their eyes. It could also be his mind, his vision, his footy IQ, his attitude, his psychology, his spatial awareness - his brain, not body.

Then you would have a player who's a one trick pony of a one trick pony with flaws that are assumed to be fixable only because they've been misattributed to body over mind.

Hopefully not, but either way, the basic idea is something that rings true in most area of life - people think too much about the body and not enough about the mind.

• Love
Thought he was ordinary today in the two's
Thought he was average too. Some good tackling efforts but he just doesn’t knock up enough touches, and those he does, don’t have much impact. Gets caught with the ball a lot.

He’s just very meh Collier-Dawkins.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Well in the 2nd half today he showed the defensive running patterns that have been lacking. Got the ball out of contests then halved stuff (tackled/locked the ball in) where Southport were about to get out.

He looked good.

Thought he was average too. Some good tackling efforts but he just doesn’t knock up enough touches, and those he does, don’t have much impact. Gets caught with the ball a lot.
He got 7 disposals 5 contested in the 3rd quarter alone.

Well in the 2nd half today he showed the defensive running patterns that have been lacking. Got the ball out of contests then halved stuff (tackled/locked the ball in) where Southport were about to get out.

He looked good.
He looked ordinary. Slow as a wet week.

And the other 3 quarters ?
Missed the first half as I was out and about. Had a solid 4th as well. Less with possessions but more with the defensive efforts a couple of which were 1 on 2's where he stopped a Southport breakaway. A couple of really strong tackles as well. Also his defensive running was better.
It was noticeable that he and Samson were not on the same page. Samson said stand "there" (pointed to a spot) Riley did and the Samson tapped the ball about 180 degrees away. Riley wasn't happy.