Welcome to Tiger land Riley Collier’Dawkins | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tiger land Riley Collier’Dawkins

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Slow Burn? He should be a stand out in the VFL he isn't.
I've seen kids picked in the 50's show more.

RCD played well in the VFL grand final in 2019. Looked to have made a jump in output. Not playing consistent football for the last two years does not help his development

I am looking for him to continue to build slowly and play more VFL than AFL this year. If the early signs are he is being developed to do a role similar to Cotchin then he works on this in the VFL and comes into the AFL side when we rest Cotchin

I will give him this year to show he can stand out in the VFL

Reactions: 1 user

Feeling Tigerish

Tiger Champion
Apr 11, 2009
Lacks tenacity, which I think is terminal as an AFL player. He has one mediocre effort in him at the contest. If he wants to take over cotchins role in the future, he needs to learn to attack the contest like a pitbull, and have 2nd, 3rd and 4th efforts, like Cotchin has always done. His nowhere near that atm imo

Reactions: 1 users

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Seems like he’s performing at about the same level he did as a junior. Good at clearances with an eye catching burst he occasionally uses to break away from packs but otherwise missing from general play.

There are exceptions but generally draftees don’t become something they weren’t already at u18 level.

Reactions: 2 users

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
Lacks tenacity, which I think is terminal as an AFL player. He has one mediocre effort in him at the contest. If he wants to take over cotchins role in the future, he needs to learn to attack the contest like a pitbull, and have 2nd, 3rd and 4th efforts, like Cotchin has always done. His nowhere near that atm imo

I reckon he hits the contest pretty hard but just doesn't have the stamina to do it over and over again which at times makes him appear to be lack tenacity. He's great in bursts but struggles to get from one contest to another.

My prediction is that unless he has a terrible year and completely switches off then he'll get another contract with us next year. But it could be on the rookie list.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I reckon he hits the contest pretty hard but just doesn't have the stamina to do it over and over again which at times makes him appear to be lack tenacity. He's great in bursts but struggles to get from one contest to another.

My prediction is that unless he has a terrible year and completely switches off then he'll get another contract with us next year. But it could be on the rookie list.
I reckon the club will give him every chance just as they are with Stackie.

The club doesn't want to let them go prematurely only to see them thrive elsewhere after being discarded.

Riley really has to go up a level or two this year the side really needs him to, and it really needs 2019 Stack Man back.

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Play him off the bench as an impact player the last 10 minutes of each quarter.

Feeling Tigerish

Tiger Champion
Apr 11, 2009
Getting hit by Cotchin would be like getting hit by an anvil, he’s got one of those body’s that is just rock hard, not bulky muscle, just bloody hard. And he never gives up in the contest, diving, scraping, swinging arms and legs everywhere to get the ball or strip it loose from the oppo. He’s a freak, and we’ll be lucky to ever have another player like him again. IF, and that’s a very big IF, Riley develops half the amount of hardness and tenacity Cotchin has, we’ll have a good player on our hands.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
I hope to see Riley getting a chance to excel on a HFF in the Magoos this year. The big white sticks don't move. Riley knows where they are. If he can just learn to hunt down the odd dancing back at VFL grade he can level up. He will kick goals. (Those big white sticks, eh?)

Perhaps RCD can become an adequate inside mid at VFL level this year. He's been close before. My take is that he's never excelled there. (Total lack of DMBIH. NFI.) And he's not a big chaser. HFF is his natural position - not many can play that role.

As a group we are split on RCD's pace. Many think he's slow - I can see why. I think he can run but has no idea where. (The big white sticks!) When he plays HFF he will shimmy, he can shake. Burst and get the shot off. Can kick em.

I can see why the coaching panel is looking to stretch RCD. We spent an early pick on him based on somebody's opinion the he was a midfielder. That hasn't worked out so far.

I am planning to talk about the GWS Potato Farm soon. Midfielders must cut the game with their use. RCD is a long way off that now. Kicking a goal from HFF is well within his reach. He's already above the level at VFL. Sometimes.

It's all very well to hold the party line that RCD doesn't try hard enough. But it was obvious to many of us from his first endeavours at intraclub level that RCD lacks football IQ. And three years later still does. At least as a mid.

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
I hope to see Riley getting a chance to excel on a HFF in the Magoos this year. The big white sticks don't move. Riley knows where they are. If he can just learn to hunt down the odd dancing back at VFL grade he can level up. He will kick goals. (Those big white sticks, eh?)

Perhaps RCD can become an adequate inside mid at VFL level this year. He's been close before. My take is that he's never excelled there. (Total lack of DMBIH. NFI.) And he's not a big chaser. HFF is his natural position - not many can play that role.

As a group we are split on RCD's pace. Many think he's slow - I can see why. I think he can run but has no idea where. (The big white sticks!) When he plays HFF he will shimmy, he can shake. Burst and get the shot off. Can kick em.

I can see why the coaching panel is looking to stretch RCD. We spent an early pick on him based on somebody's opinion the he was a midfielder. That hasn't worked out so far.

I am planning to talk about the GWS Potato Farm soon. Midfielders must cut the game with their use. RCD is a long way off that now. Kicking a goal from HFF is well within his reach. He's already above the level at VFL. Sometimes.

It's all very well to hold the party line that RCD doesn't try hard enough. But it was obvious to many of us from his first endeavours at intraclub level that RCD lacks football IQ. And three years later still does. At least as a mid.
Correct weight Jack. Still working on his tank after being in the system for yrs.

checkside

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2005
Australia
Correct weight Jack. Still working on his tank after being in the system for yrs.
I don’t doubt he should be fitter, but by my calculations he’s played 24 games of football in 3 full seasons. 15 VFL, 9 AFL. And that’s not from injury.
These last few years haven’t been kind to guys who needed development when they were drafted.

Reactions: 2 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I don’t doubt he should be fitter, but by my calculations he’s played 24 games of football in 3 full seasons. 15 VFL, 9 AFL. And that’s not from injury.
These last few years haven’t been kind to guys who needed development when they were drafted.
Yeah but this excuse has been trotted out for RCD and others who haven’t progressed yet plenty of kids drafted from COVID impacted 2020 and 2021 are making their mark.

Reactions: 4 users

checkside

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2005
Australia
Yeah but this excuse has been trotted out for RCD and others who haven’t progressed yet plenty of kids drafted from COVID impacted 2020 and 2021 are making their mark.
He was always a development pick that needed time.
I just re checked the 2018, 2019 and 2020 drafts to be sure and any kid picked at 20 (RCD was 20) or after there isn’t many of them who have done much at all.

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
Fair point checkers. Riley was also a project apparently. However, counterpoint is that we have 1st yr draftees that have the tank to see out full games. Covid arguably impacted this batch more than others.

Big yr for Riley.