Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
How many GFs have you played in?
I wish I was a shiitt footballer with 3 flags.
He had a bad season.
If that's the benchmark Zips, none of us would be allowed to speak.
Read what I wrote carefully. I doubt he'd be able to succeed in any other system in the AFL.
We can exploit the strengths he does have, and can tolerate the many weaknesses he has.

He's had a bad couple of seasons. He had a really good one, but its been a while ago now.
He'd be on a very short leash for mine, and coming out of contract, he'd have to be concerned.

Reactions: 8 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
I hope george has a fantastic year and gets a nice contract offer from another team as a free agent

Unfortunately i think he will be done at Richmond after 2023

Reactions: 2 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
If that's the benchmark Zips, none of us would be allowed to speak.
Read what I wrote carefully. I doubt he'd be able to succeed in any other system in the AFL.
We can exploit the strengths he does have, and can tolerate the many weaknesses he has.

He's had a bad couple of seasons. He had a really good one, but its been a while ago now.
He'd be on a very short leash for mine, and coming out of contract, he'd have to be concerned.

Agree with all this and that he’s had a couple of bad seasons

But the worst part of his most recent bad season was that - despite his poor form - he was gifted games he simply did not deserve.
And even when he was dropped - he was recalled too soon and without having shown improvement in the ressies.

Maybe it was some sort of loyalty by the match committee due to him being a 3 flag player.
Whatever - it was misguided at best.
This was shown up when we did start playing promising kids in the senior side.

Dave Astbury is a 3 time premiership player and like George is a club legend.
But time marches on and there is no chance either of them will ever win a fourth.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
For a bloke that turned our fortune's around in 2017, the shiit he he cops from his own is a disgrace.
He had a poor season but he wasn't the only one. Grimes was worse.
Balta? Edwards? Nakas??
He will be back to his pressure best next year.
It’s undeniable he was an important cog in 3 flags. Will always be a favourite of mine. Can understand the frustration though.

Reactions: 1 user

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
George has served his purpose at RFC and done extremely well since he arrived but unless his kicking issues improve this coming season then he will no longer be part of our best 22 or even best 30 players and would be better off finding another club or will most likely be delisted.

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon
After the number of years he has been at the Club, I can’t see his kicking or hand balling improving to suddenly make him in our best 22/23.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
After the number of years he has been at the Club, I can’t see his kicking or hand balling improving to suddenly make him in our best 22/23.
Maybe your right but the bagging he is getting and the jokes are a disgrace

Reactions: 1 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Of all the people on this forum, you say jokes and bagging by his own are a disgrace?

Pot have you been introduced to kettle yet?

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
It’s undeniable he was an important cog in 3 flags. Will always be a favourite of mine. Can understand the frustration though.

This sums it up really. Played his role in 3 flags, and for that we fondly remember him, but the frustration is real because the deficiencies are real.

He can run all day, he can take a mark, he can get possessions . . . but what he does with them seems to have got worse, or maybe those around Castagna are not as able to compensate any more.

Even if he gets delisted at the end of 2023, Castagna will be a triple premiership player, pretty small group that.

DS

Reactions: 6 users

Razorgang2

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 15, 2014
This sums it up really. Played his role in 3 flags, and for that we fondly remember him, but the frustration is real because the deficiencies are real.

He can run all day, he can take a mark, he can get possessions . . . but what he does with them seems to have got worse, or maybe those around Castagna are not as able to compensate any more.

Even if he gets delisted at the end of 2023, Castagna will be a triple premiership player, pretty small group that.

DS
So true Dave, game style/plan impacted his effectivness, time to move on.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Whipping boys are the life blood of this site.
Without them we’d have nothing else to talk about.
They’re now also getting thin on the ground. Evidenced by the endless chatter on the Stack and RCD threads even though they’ve both been delisted.
Let’s all hope Dusty comes good. He could be next in line

Reactions: 1 users

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon
I was being gracious with my comment. Let’s acknowledge to begin with, that George is a 3 time premiership player and a life member. That is a wonderful achievement. Needs to be acknowledged. His BEST game was the 2019 GF against GWS when he kicked 5 points. If he had kicked 2-3 goals out of those 5 points, I would have had him vyeing for BOG. But he didn’t. He missed every shot. And that sums George up for me.

He almost kicks a goal. He almost takes a mark. He almost hits a teammate with a handball. He almost doesn’t stumble at a critical time.

But he doesn’t.

And. He is not in best 22/23. Full stop.

Who would you drop for him? Cumberland? Who kicks goals? MJ junior who had more pressure acts than just about anybody in the comp in half a season of game time?

I actually really don’t like to be critical of any of our players but when he burns players in a better position and stuffs up a play when we have players out, I seriously do not understand why he was given games against others.

Reactions: 11 users