Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Rance said in an episode of on the couch that "Dimma tried to trade him for a bag of chips to Hawthorn" He said Hawthorn were keen but opted for Josh Gibson in the end and the trade fell through.
Whilst the “bag of chips” line was true Hawthorn didn’t choose Gibson over Rance, Gibson was already at Hawthorn when Hawthorn made inquiries about Rance. Gibson went there at the end of 2009 and Hawthorn link was at the end of 2010.

“Immediately after the 2009 season, Gibson requested to be traded to the Hawthorn Football Club. The deal was done early on the first day of the 2009 trade week, with Gibson”

“Richmond assistant coach Justin Leppitsch has revealed he campaigned against trading a young Alex Rance to Hawthorn at the end of the 2010 season.”

Reactions: 1 users

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
Whilst the “bag of chips” line was true Hawthorn didn’t choose Gibson over Rance, Gibson was already at Hawthorn when Hawthorn made inquiries about Rance. Gibson went there at the end of 2009 and Hawthorn link was at the end of 2010.

“Immediately after the 2009 season, Gibson requested to be traded to the Hawthorn Football Club. The deal was done early on the first day of the 2009 trade week, with Gibson”

“Richmond assistant coach Justin Leppitsch has revealed he campaigned against trading a young Alex Rance to Hawthorn at the end of the 2010 season.”
2010 was Dimma's first season, but he was actually appointed Richmond coach in August 2009, so he would have been pulling the reigns in our 2009 off season.

I'm guessing Hawthorn were keen in 2009 and Dimma pushed Hawthorn to take him even after taking Gibson. Probably tried it again in 2010 too given earlier interest.

I know I'm doing a lot of guessing, but without trying to find the on the couch episode, I'm sure that was Rances version of events.

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
One of my favourite stats ... Castagna could have taken every single one of our 29 shots at goal in he 2019 GF, missed the lot, and we'd have still won the game.
That’s a Gold Post right there!!

Or looked at another way, had George kicked straight he’d have beaten GWS on his own!!

Hmmm, did we just recruit two GWS players??

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008

“Few would know the Hawks had another crack at Rance at the end of 2009, but opted instead for North Melbourne’s Josh Gibson.

“We met with two players in 2009 with a view to getting a key backman into our club and the two players were Josh Gibson and Alex Rance,” Pelchen said.

“We’d looked at Alex two years previously and he was struggling at Richmond.”

Rance, his manager Tom Petroro, Pelchen and Hawthorn football director Jason Dunstall met at Dunstall’s house.

“Ultimately, we went with Josh Gibson, and I don’t think either decision would have been wrong,” Pelchen said.”

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
“Few would know the Hawks had another crack at Rance at the end of 2009, but opted instead for North Melbourne’s Josh Gibson.

“We met with two players in 2009 with a view to getting a key backman into our club and the two players were Josh Gibson and Alex Rance,” Pelchen said.

“We’d looked at Alex two years previously and he was struggling at Richmond.”

Rance, his manager Tom Petroro, Pelchen and Hawthorn football director Jason Dunstall met at Dunstall’s house.

“Ultimately, we went with Josh Gibson, and I don’t think either decision would have been wrong,” Pelchen said.”

Sounds like the Pelican *smile* up to me

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Rance was crap on his early years it took him till 2013-14 to become a quality defender
He was on the verge of getting traded to Hawthorn.
George was unbelievable from the start from his 2nd year. He had a really shiit year but he wasn't the only one. Hardwick will pick him. And fingers crossed he can find some 2017-2019 form.
I think George may have a future as an inside mid.

He will never be a reliable kick for goal and he will never be a reliable hand baller. He will never be two sided and for all of the above reasons he will never again hold down a place at Richmond as a small forward.

However maybe his attack on the ball and his speed and leap can be used in a different way. Possibly an inside mid, or I am afraid he will be a bust.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Rance said in an episode of on the couch that "Dimma tried to trade him for a bag of chips to Hawthorn" He said Hawthorn were keen but opted for Josh Gibson in the end and the trade fell through.
That’s interesting but I have heard Benny Gale say the opposite.
Probably depends on which side of the deal you were on
Also I wouldn’t believe a word that comes out of pelican’s mouth

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
Given Rance and Pelican have said it with the same timeline and story then I think it’s pretty dead on.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Was that the same episode where Rance said that Tommy Lynch would upset the applecart? Great player, Rance, but liked a story.

Reactions: 1 users

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
Was that the same episode where Rance said that Tommy Lynch would upset the applecart? Great player, Rance, but liked a story.
I reckon it was earlier than that, something between 2015-17. Tried to find the episode but it’s not easy

What did you mean by liked a story?

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Except neither story says that we were willing to let him go which is what Gale said.
My memory is that Gale said we were never willing to trade Rance, which doesn’t mean the dawks didn’t chase him.

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
Except neither story says that we were willing to let him go which is what Gale said.
My memory is that Gale said we were never willing to trade Rance, which doesn’t mean the dawks didn’t chase him.
The person I’d listen to the least in this situation is Gale given he would have little to no pull in list management decisions.

Rance has previously said Dimma “tried to trade him for a packet of chips” which alludes to Dimma getting Rance to pursue other options at a minimum, or even pushing him out at the extreme end.

Rance’s description of Hawthorn choosing Gibson which made the deal fall through, certainly makes it sound like he would have gone if Hawthorn chose him over Gibson.

That is also backed up by the 2015 herald sun article from Pelchen.

In 2009 I’ve got no doubt we would have let him go if Rance wanted out.

Last edited:

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Yes. The club was quick to dismiss his comments and Collingwood used them to try to squeeze his decision towards going to them. That was the day the clown Ned Guy was seem jumping fences in Sorrento.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
The person I’d listen to the least in this situation is Gale given he would have little to no pull in list management
It’s got nothing to do with how much pull he has or doesn’t have in recruiting, it is whether he knows what actually happened.

I am sure he does. If you listen to what he says about recruiting and trades he is very well briefed

Reactions: 1 user