Welcome Tylar Young | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Tylar Young

Hopefully Grimes has something else going on in his life that can be resolved and this isn't his actual level.

His mind was somewhere else dropping those uncontested marks.

Was just a 'mare of game.

You have to wonder if he put his heart and soul into preparation this year.

Given this is Tylar's thread - we need to just keep developing him. He is slowly adding some strings to his bow.

Reactions: 2 users
Grimes gave up three goals from absolute turnover blunders let alone the damage that was inflicted from his direct opponents, a stunning decline which hopefully is not permanent?
It was three, caesar. Vlastuin may have been a bit stiff with the HTB in the square but eh. It was probably there. That's four goals.

RFC put out an article in response to your attack on Young;)

Whilst the article is spin at it's highest, to call it a breakout game when all the defense was smashed, albeit not helped by it coming in 75 times, is a stretch but i agree with gist of discussion, I have long said Tyler is capable of marking and more rebound than solely a negating role and he did take a step in the right direction in that regards and i look forward to him getting the balance right.

I'm hitting the idea that Young is a tall, caesar. I think Mini or maybe Rutten are all over this. We played Young mainly like a Doedee against Melbourne. Starting high and pushing back.

Young was ok high it was when he was deep that he could not impact in the air. His first blunder he tried to spoil from the left with his right hand. He doesn't get enough air for that. I think Rooyen marked that one. The second time he just didn't go when in position and I think that was the first Petty goal. He went for another spoil with the right on the left side. He let one out the back for a goal.

His bungles are about his aerial game. That's why I don't think he's a full back.

His ground game is at least good. While he *smile* up with ball in hand a few times against Melbourne I don't think that's terminal. He has natural composure and will improve. And his skills are good.

It looks like we're about to settle him in this high semi tall role. Doedee is the one who comes to mind. IMO Young will have to push back harder and play with more authority in the air if he's to make a success of that.

And that brings us back to the idea that RFC needs a full back. I reckon we might agree on that.

Reactions: 4 users
On the I50 massacre. And the massive pressure our backs were under. They had 7 before we touched the ball. Allowing for that we were near enough in I50 as we approached 3/4 time. Until then the game was on. Sure, Melbourne is a slicker outfit than RFC at this stage but we coughed up goals due to poor aerial defence. In the live period of the game.

I wouldn't criticise any of our defenders for cracking under the leather avalanche that ensued.

Petty got lucky a few times but really, had a day out that is unlikely to be repeated anytime soon. It happens.
Balta had a 'mare; got pushed off it early in embarrassingly easy fashion.
Grimes was even more embarrassing.
Tyler in contrast was relatively solid and has been one very clear positive this year.
He is Dave Astbury reincarnate, but with faster closing speed and a better user by foot.
Both Noah and Tyler are big and raw but long termers that just need to be played.
So I disagree with your conclusion; its the Grimes role that needs replacing, asap.
It's possible, 17, that we're pushing Young up the park to develop his counter game. And that we'll move him back. And that may all work out and if so - excellent.

It looks to me that Mini and/or Rutten have a new plan for him. Doedee role. We'll see how it works out and hopefully it does.

Either way is good.

Grimes gave up three goals from absolute turnover blunders let alone the damage that was inflicted from his direct opponents, a stunning decline which hopefully is not permanent?
It’s the question isn’t it? Can he get back to the player we know (or something closer at least).

Reactions: 1 user
It was three, caesar. Vlastuin may have been a bit stiff with the HTB in the square but eh. It was probably there. That's four goals.

I'm hitting the idea that Young is a tall, caesar. I think Mini or maybe Rutten are all over this. We played Young mainly like a Doedee against Melbourne. Starting high and pushing back.

Young was ok high it was when he was deep that he could not impact in the air. His first blunder he tried to spoil from the left with his right hand. He doesn't get enough air for that. I think Rooyen marked that one. The second time he just didn't go when in position and I think that was the first Petty goal. He went for another spoil with the right on the left side. He let one out the back for a goal.

His bungles are about his aerial game. That's why I don't think he's a full back.

His ground game is at least good. While he *smile* up with ball in hand a few times against Melbourne I don't think that's terminal. He has natural composure and will improve. And his skills are good.

It looks like we're about to settle him in this high semi tall role. Doedee is the one who comes to mind. IMO Young will have to push back harder and play with more authority in the air if he's to make a success of that.

And that brings us back to the idea that RFC needs a full back. I reckon we might agree on that.
It is not only a full back that is needed but a forward tall wouldn't go amiss. Regarding Young, we shouldn't forget he is still learning the game as he only started really playing in 2019? This is his first year in the big league and it is an unforgiving league. I acknowledge his errors but has come a long way in so few games and consistently improving. I reckon we have a find for our future and it is up to him and the coaches to hone him

Reactions: 6 users
Totally agree backline at a mare , but why on earth would mini move Balta and screw us more puzzling.

Reactions: 1 users
Aerial defense?
Number 1 rule is dont let it out the back and yet we did countless times.
5 day break? No Dusty? Hot opponent?
We were jacked like it was LA in 1991. Young is walking home in socks and no jacket

Aerial defense?
Number 1 rule is dont let it out the back and yet we did countless times.
5 day break? No Dusty? Hot opponent?
We were jacked like it was LA in 1991. Young is walking home in socks and no jacket

Has dropped off a cliff in the back end of the year. 2 very poor games in a row. Reckon he needs to go back to the 2's and we give Biggie or Miller a crack in defence. Confidence is shot.

Outpositioned for most of the night, spoiled the ball backwards repeatedly, fumbled, sagged off and didn't impact contests at times, just a very poor game and having that 1 following so closely behind the poor game last week means I'd be having him miss the Saints game last week.

Looking forward to.the Talking Tigers spin. We would want to hope Gibcus comes roaring back next year.

Has dropped off a cliff in the back end of the year. 2 very poor games in a row. Reckon he needs to go back to the 2's and we give Biggie or Miller a crack in defence. Confidence is shot.

Outpositioned for most of the night, spoiled the ball backwards repeatedly, fumbled, sagged off and didn't impact contests at times, just a very poor game and having that 1 following so closely behind the poor game last week means I'd be having him miss the Saints game last week.
Agreed

Looking forward to.the Talking Tigers spin. We would want to hope Gibcus comes roaring back next year.
Gibcus to take Grimes' shoes. Young still in the long term fixture... so we need improvement

I’ve been a bit of a critic but he can hold his head up today. Thought he was good and did well on King when he finally got put on him.

Reactions: 4 users
I’ve been a bit of a critic but he can hold his head up today. Thought he was good and did well on King when he finally got put on him.
He is still learning but at least he tried even when beaten. Needs some sound coaching close season to see what he has but I am hopeful

Reactions: 1 user
Plays simple straight forward defensive footy n definitely not one of our problems on field.
His job and that of the rest of our defence might be a hell of a lot easier if our mids didn't butcher so much going forward and our forwards actually applied some pressure to the oppo defenders. Woofers last week and St Kiddenme today simply played slice n dice uncontested overlap run footy against us all day. While we sat back n tried to guard holes all over the ground.

• Sad
Plays simple straight forward defensive footy n definitely not one of our problems on field.
His job and that of the rest of our defence might be a hell of a lot easier if our mids didn't butcher so much going forward and our forwards actually applied some pressure to the oppo defenders. Woofers last week and St Kiddenme today simply played slice n dice uncontested overlap run footy against us all day. While we sat back n tried to guard holes all over the ground.
Exactly TM.

St Kilda players ran through the centre corridor and had options galore I50 to chose from.

Midfield didn’t work hard enough and took the ‘long bomb option’ countless times.

Can’t keep blaming ‘we can’t play the Dome’.

But poor skills will leave any defence vulnerable.

Reactions: 1 users