Welcome Tylar Young | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Tylar Young

But for soft free kicks, and some dives Greg Louganis would be proud of, thought he went alright on Larkey.
Beat him one on one most times, really growing into the key defender role.

Reactions: 8 users
I’ve posted this stat before (contested defensive one on ones), but now he has a lot more games under his belt. His percentage of contested defensive losses is phenomenal, up there with Weitering and Taylor, and better than Moore (lost 8 of his 62 one on one contests). He’s improving offensively as well, grabbing 3 intercept marks today. Balta’s percentage of defensive losses is too high, I think mainly because he seems to get himself lost on his opponent at times (the last few weeks he’s been poor and his percentage has worsened by at least 5%). Balta is still the number 1 intercept mark in the comp with 88 (next best is 81). Both have had good years in different ways in a back line that has seen way too much of the ball. Hopefully next season we don’t concede near as many entries and give our defenders more of a chance IMG_2466.png

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
He's our best one on one defender. Let that sink in for a while.
Statistically he’s actually one of the best one on one defenders in the game (as shown in my post above). Not bad for his first season

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Thought he was very good and is staring to ad attack to his defensive mind set , different type , however following a similar path to Grimes

Young was very good yesterday. Larkey kicked the softest bag I’ve seen for a long time. 3 from the goal square and one dismal free kick.

Reactions: 4 users
For a first year and inexperienced lad I reckon he is going well. Bound to make mistakes but stood up well again yesterday so it looks like we have got another defensive find along with Josh Gibcus primed ready for next season

Reactions: 1 users
Young was very good yesterday. Larkey kicked the softest bag I’ve seen for a long time. 3 from the goal square and one dismal free kick.
But part of the reason he kicked them from the goal square was he found it very easy to lose Tylar (and one one occasion Noah). Yeah Larkey got 2 from frees but he still played well for the Roos as a key forward.

Young is the find of the season. And it is a treat that he is still learning at 24. It means learning from the best at a time when he actually has or nearly has, the physical and mental capacity to implement what he is told, and not just wait until he grows up. Next year he will become a full back to reckon with and will have us comparing him with the greats.

Grimes apart, no need to worry too much about defenders.
It’s the midfield.

Young is very important to the line up. Continued improvement may allow us to have Balta, Lynch and Bauer all playing fwd next year. This will really stretch opposition defences.

This will depend on us getting Gibcus on the ground and whether we get more help down back but it is possible.

Reactions: 2 users
Young is very important to the line up. Continued improvement may allow us to have Balta, Lynch and Bauer all playing fwd next year. This will really stretch opposition defences.

This will depend on us getting Gibcus on the ground and whether we get more help down back but it is possible.
This. Whilst most of us agree that Balta as a defensive elite interceptor makes sense, our gaping needs are up forward and he would be more damaging for the team as a key forward. Athletically and talent wise, I honestly do not think there is much difference between Balta and Charlie Curnow.

I honestly do not think there is much difference between Balta and Charlie Curnow.
I think both their athletic attributes are somewhat different. Balta is a fast twitch fibre type athlete, whereas Curnow, while he has a fair leap and sprint, also is an endurance slow twitch fibre athlete, seemingly sharing a combination of both.

Yes, a valid point, something I have missed in my view of who should play in our forward line. It also allows us the luxury of Balta or Bauer going back if required, & shifting Gibus forward.

Frankly I don't think our defence is a major problem, sure it needs a bit of a tweak, but our mids & forward lines need a far more drastic tweak.

With the great Jack gone & Lynch yet to show that he's fully recovered, we're pretty light on for key forwards. Hopefully Blair is able to weave some magic.
As for the mids, we've got a lot of quality but leg speed is an issue. What can be added to help in this area. Again I hope Blair can help, along with the possible drafting of some good youngster to assist.

A new coach with fresh ideas (whether that Mini or not) will also refresh the players attitude.

All is not lost imo. Sure we've had a bad year but if you look closely we're not completely up sh1te Street.

I'm very keen to see who is appointed as our new coach.

Was above average today. Took one on one contested marks on multiple occasions. Marvellous surprise

Not saying his the next Rance, however what a year considering where he came from , got some nice scalps along the line and will hugely benefit from another AFL pre season , hopefully we can get DTLD or Taz or Rance down over the summer to educate him some more

Reactions: 1 user