Welcome Tylar Young | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Tylar Young

Ok so the backline looks right for 5 years. Can we do somethong about the forward line soon?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Here’s a fun question - if Tarrant were available right now, would you play him over Young?

I wouldn’t.
You couldn’t.
It’s the 24 almost 25 year old fresh face or the 34 year old at the end of his time. Unless the 24 year old is getting his colours lowered weekly you couldn’t replace him with the 34 year old.

Thought he played a fair game but you should be squaring up well against a 36yo who's gone downhill a fair way over the last couple of years. Buddy had his highest disposal game for the season.

Still not sold on Young but he has put in some good heavy defensive lock-down performances of late.

Here’s a fun question - if Tarrant were available right now, would you play him over Young?

I wouldn’t.
I would have never recruited Tarrant in the first place. Was getting a bit injury prone in his last couple of years at North. Was a good chance last year to give opportunities to younger players bit position was occupied by Tarrant.

Reactions: 2 users
Don't reckon this guy is getting enough kudos around here. He's looking better every game IMO and is starting to do more than just defend.

Reactions: 9 users
Don't reckon this guy is getting enough kudos around here. He's looking better every game IMO and is starting to do more than just defend.
Lad is doing just fine, actually he's doing very very nicely.

Fast track development the RFC has its 2 key big men down back on the park learning to play together right now.

Gibcus will start to join in with them next year after some serious physical training and conditioning.

Came here to write the same thing. Not sure if today is his 13th or 14th game, but he's really the unsung star find for this season.

Reactions: 4 users
Had to be the fall guy to bring on Coulhard as he did nothing wrong in fact he did a lot right

I think it was just a matter of replacing a defender with a forward when we needed to push hard for a win. Out of the defenders, he was the most obvious to come out based purely on experience.

I think it was just a matter of replacing a defender with a forward when we needed to push hard for a win. Out of the defenders, he was the most obvious to come out based purely on experience.
Was a tactical move rather than performance based. Dawks subbed his opponent out, right call to make considering he was his direct opponent (restricting a top 6 draft pick to 0 touches/marks for the entire game). Team would have been too top heavy.

Reactions: 1 user
To a great extent Mini has hitched his star to the wagon of FB Tylar Young. What choice does he have? Ben Minson? Ouch.

As at R19 2023 Tylar Young can't hold front position and can't jump. He's been ok to date because he can time what he does. He's smart, learning and can keep learning.

The very atoms of Tylar Young were destroyed by Melbourne. He was miles off the level. Totally uncompetitive. Mini tried to hide him as a loose small and that wasn't too bad.

Young may develop over time. I'm sure he will. But this bloke does not look a structural defender to me. If he can learn to hold front position he may play a Doedee a type role. Play high, push up at the loose or back into the hole. And mind a small. Or maybe playing a Broad role, zoning off and joining the pack from behind.

The whole structure of our backline fell apart in R20 because we were uncompetitive in the air in D50. Balta is a from the side defender or from behind in space. He can struggle to hold front position under a high ball. And can get lost in formation.

That left Grimes playing #1 back. Since when has he played that role?

Yes, we would have liked to push a ruck back but Gawn was getting close attention from Soldo when the game was live. And pshing a ruck back is the policy of beaten coaches.

Young was annihilated in the first half. He was hidden in the second.

Lewis Young is flaky but he can get in the way. And is occasionally very good. Alex Keath is soft but he can get in the way. Each is built for the game and on the table.

We need a #1 back.

To a great extent Mini has hitched his star to the wagon of FB Tylar Young. What choice does he have? Ben Minson? Ouch.

As at R19 2023 Tylar Young can't hold front position and can't jump. He's been ok to date because he can time what he does. He's smart, learning and can keep learning.

The very atoms of Tylar Young were destroyed by Melbourne. He was miles off the level. Totally uncompetitive. Mini tried to hide him as a loose small and that wasn't too bad.

Young may develop over time. I'm sure he will. But this bloke does not look a structural defender to me. If he can learn to hold front position he may play a Doedee a type role. Play high, push up at the loose or back into the hole. And mind a small. Or maybe playing a Broad role, zoning off and joining the pack from behind.

The whole structure of our backline fell apart in R20 because we were uncompetitive in the air in D50. Balta is a from the side defender or from behind in space. He can struggle to hold front position under a high ball. And can get lost in formation.

Yes, we would have liked to push a ruck back but Gawn was getting close attention from Soldo when the game was live. And pshing a ruck back is the policy of beaten coaches.

Lewis Young is flaky but he can get in the way. And is occasionally very good. Alex Keath is soft but he can get in the way. Each is built for the game and on the table.

We need a #1 back.

RFC put out an article in response to your attack on Young;)

Whilst the article is spin at it's highest, to call it a breakout game when all the defense was smashed, albeit not helped by it coming in 75 times, is a stretch but i agree with gist of discussion, I have long said Tyler is capable of marking and more rebound than solely a negating role and he did take a step in the right direction in that regards and i look forward to him getting the balance right.

Last edited:
Only Broad, Vlastuin & Rioli had passable defensive games against Melbourne. Balta, Young & Grimes soundly beaten - disastrous really as up until now, we’d defended key forwards ok. Grimes in particular is at the crossroads.

We did everything wrong both individually and collectively as a backline in that game. It should be the game we learn the most from. For mine, somewhat counterintuitively, get the collective thing working and the individual impacts will follow.

• Love
Only Broad, Vlastuin & Rioli had passable defensive games against Melbourne. Balta, Young & Grimes soundly beaten - disastrous really as up until now, we’d defended key forwards ok. Grimes in particular is at the crossroads.

Grimes gave up three goals from absolute turnover blunders let alone the damage that was inflicted from his direct opponents, a stunning decline which hopefully is not permanent?

Reactions: 3 users

We need a #1 back.
Petty got lucky a few times but really, had a day out that is unlikely to be repeated anytime soon. It happens.
Balta had a 'mare; got pushed off it early in embarrassingly easy fashion.
Grimes was even more embarrassing.
Tyler in contrast was relatively solid and has been one very clear positive this year.
He is Dave Astbury reincarnate, but with faster closing speed and a better user by foot.
Both Noah and Tyler are big and raw but long termers that just need to be played.
So I disagree with your conclusion; its the Grimes role that needs replacing, asap.

Reactions: 6 users