Welcome Tyler Sonsie | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Tyler Sonsie

The blonde tips a nice touch too, very 80s st kilda.

Reactions: 1 user
At a family Easter gathering yesterday ( frikkin rellos ) so only got to watch some bits n pieces of the game. Replay coming up at leisure later today so I'll have a proper look. Game stats in the paper were fairly low but simple numbers only tell half a story so I'll at least pretend to keep an open mind until I've watched the broadcast properly.

I was pretty disappointed by Sonsie's game today.
Does the odd good thing but seems a bit slow & weak in that forward role.

Gets another game or two but equally Cumberland probably worth another look in that role..

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I was pretty disappointed by Sonsie's game today.
Does the odd good thing but seems a bit slow & week in that forward role.

Gets another game or two but equally Cumberland probably worth another look in that role..
There is no way he is a forward. Straight out mid and if that means he can’t get a game we should play him
In the guts in the vfl until he screams out to pick him with performance.

I’m a believer, he can play but we have to play him where his strengths are. He should be delivering into the 50 not receiving.

Cumberland has been horrible this year and to me the guy who should play the role Sonz is playing is Judson Clarke. That’s the player he is, high half forward and good finisher.

Reactions: 6 users
He pulled up when it was his turn to go on one occasion and probably doesn’t and won’t ever get enough ball in the forward line. We need to play him in a roll that best utilises his assets, he’s a distributor, we need to get the ball in his hands in space. Maybe a wing, or even half back, I’m not sure permanent forward is his long term role.

Reactions: 4 users
Cumberland has been horrible this year and to me the guy who should play the role Sonz is playing is Judson Clarke. That’s the player he is, high half forward and good finisher.

Clarke is injured I believe & to say Cumberland has been horrible this year is pretty strange considering they've only played a couple of games.

Someone needs to sack tap him during training or hit on his mum to get him angry.

• Haha
Goes missing in the 2nd half of most games.
Either isn’t fit enough, or doesn’t work hard enough.

Still reckon his good stuff is indicative of a bloke who can make the grade and worth playing

Reactions: 9 users
Keep playing him.
He hasn’t shown much in his 2 games this year but he’s one player we need to find out whether he can play at AFL.

Reactions: 5 users
Clarke is injured I believe & to say Cumberland has been horrible this year is pretty strange considering they've only played a couple of games.
He was ordinary in the vfl practice games as well apart from one quarter. Has has about 16-17 possessions in total in 2 vfl games and kicked 2 goals. Playing without any confidence at all. ( btw I’m a fan, but a frustrated one)
Clarke picked up a slight niggle before the swans game I heard and is ok.

He was ordinary in the vfl practice games as well apart from one quarter. Has has about 16-17 possessions in total in 2 vfl games and kicked 2 goals. Playing without any confidence at all. ( btw I’m a fan, but a frustrated one)
Clarke picked up a slight niggle before the swans game I heard and is ok.

All good. I like Clarke. I hope they both get their opportunities to impress this year.

Last edited:
Sonsie isn’t a small forward. Yze needs to give that away. Too slow, too easily pushed off the ball.

I’d like to see us drop Dow out - he doesn’t do anything for me - shove Sonsie up onto the ball more as an outside receive and have McAuliffe assume Dow’s role. Then, Clarke or Cumberland up front instead of Sonsie.

A McAuliffe to Sonsie on ball tandem with Clarke or Cumberland the small forward appeals more to me than the present set up.

Reactions: 12 users
Do
Sonsie isn’t a small forward. Yze needs to give that away. Too slow, too easily pushed off the ball.

I’d like to see us drop Dow out - he doesn’t do anything for me - shove Sonsie up onto the ball more as an outside receive and have McAuliffe assume Dow’s role. Then, Clarke or Cumberland up front instead of Sonsie.

A McAuliffe to Sonsie on ball tandem with Clarke or Cumberland the small forward appeals more to me than the present set up.
If Sonsie is too easily pushed off the ball as a forward isn't it just going to be more of the same, more often... in the midfield?

Do

If Sonsie is too easily pushed off the ball as a forward isn't it just going to be more of the same, more often... in the midfield?
Not if he’s the outside receive - from Taranto, McAuliffe, Hopper etc - which is his go.

Agreed Redders

Not if he’s the outside receive - from Taranto, McAuliffe, Hopper etc - which is his go.
Agree it's his go... but he needs to be able to defend when it's his turn and put his head over the ball when it's his turn. I'm yet to see him regularly apply a tackle to an opposition player who isn't stationary... and whilst he has real skill he rushes his disposal under physical pressure... even at VFL level I've watched him butcher his disposal in space just because he thought someone was near. I'm hoping it's just a young player who is still finding his way and once he gets more confidence in his body to ride the knocks he'll improve in all facets.... but in isolation the thought of McAuliffe putting him into space in the midfield has appeal. The thought of McAuliffe not winning it and the opposition scooting easily around Sonsie not so much. .. but I so want him to make it.

Reactions: 1 users