Welcome Tyler Sonsie | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Tyler Sonsie

code yellow and black

Tiger Rookie
Sep 21, 2014
Lol at all these negative comments. Barely played a game. Playing not in his natural position. U all complain that we don’t play young players and we don’t pick on merit. U want to keep playing all the oldies? Will be fine. Least of our worries.

Reactions: 11 users

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
How ridiculous is your comment. Go back to bigfooty. If that your take then we may as well get rid of half the team. Is this assessment based on one game or the two he has played this year?
I think you’ll find that TM has a consistent, slow burn aversion to sonz that is relentless. Even detests him in the VFL. I quite enjoy it and think he has a few good observations. Being an aging, grumpy bald man myself, TM has become a role model.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
How ridiculous is your comment. Go back to bigfooty. If that your take then we may as well get rid of half the team. Is this assessment based on one game or the two he has played this year?
Haarrrgh FMD. Wouldn't even know where to find big footy in the first place so it might be a tad difficult to " Go back " there.
Been watching quite a few of his senior games and magoos games either live or on t.v. since we drafted him, so I might have a vague idea of what I'm seeing and disliking about his game.
Sonz has skill and finesse to his game, constantly sags off, lacks physical pressure, contested intent, repeat efforts, effort without the ball unless the ball is loose with a relatively clear path ahead.
Over the years I've bagged out Essendrugs former captain Heppel as an outside uncontested seagull swooping on hot chips. At this stage Heppel plays like a contested inside bull compared to Sonz. But hey, it's a free world n this is an open forum, you can have your opinion and I'll have mine.

Reactions: 3 users

JoeGee

Tiger Cub
Oct 17, 2023
Haarrrgh FMD. Wouldn't even know where to find big footy in the first place so it might be a tad difficult to " Go back " there.
Been watching quite a few of his senior games and magoos games either live or on t.v. since we drafted him, so I might have a vague idea of what I'm seeing and disliking about his game.
Sonz has skill and finesse to his game, constantly sags off, lacks physical pressure, contested intent, repeat efforts, effort without the ball unless the ball is loose with a relatively clear path ahead.
Over the years I've bagged out Essendrugs former captain Heppel as an outside uncontested seagull swooping on hot chips. At this stage Heppel plays like a contested inside bull compared to Sonz. But hey, it's a free world n this is an open forum, you can have your opinion and I'll have mine.
😅 that description of Heppel has made my morning. Thankyou.

Reactions: 1 users

yo_eddy

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 18, 2023
I don’t understand the vitriol towards Sonsie. Not everyone can, or needs to be a contested inside player. Being a receiver and good distributor is an important role.

Gryan (lol at even typing that stupid name) Myers avoided contact and contests a few times the other night but they value what he does, a very accurate if unconventional kick to targets inside 50.

Reactions: 1 user

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Never been a Sonsie fanboi (like many on here) and still not TBH.

Not strong enough in his attack on the footy to be a midfielder, or the pace to play half forward/wing that you need elite runners for.

Also has a bad habit of rushing his disposal when physical contact is coming. That was on display against St Kilda.

Hopefully improves those areas, but hasn't really as yet.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Instead of Banks or Clarke View attachment 22392

Was in RAdelaide for Gather Round and actually sat on the table right next to Sonz and Solgio. Was the British Hotel in North Adelaide.

We arrived at 1/4 time of Geelong v Dogs, watched the first game and the hill at Adeliade was getting super rowdy, jumped in a cab and got there in 10 minutes. I reckon Sonz was gone 15 minutes after we arrived. Looked happy and very lean. Completely different. He and Solgio left early, maybe half time of the second game. Why shouldn't you catch up with your best mate on a work trip? We all do it. Every trip I take, I make sure to have dinner with someone outside work.
When I was there, I was wondering is Solgio pitching him the Crows, or is Sonz pitching the Tigers? Either way, mates want to work together. I was just happy for the kid because he looked happy.

And I'm still all in on him as a footballer. The effort is there, that's been the question mark. Does he want it? If that last second goal isn't touched he has had a very good small forwards game. Get him in the midfield more. If Dow has been carried through the season thus far, Sonz better get at least another six weeks. I've seen people mention the Lambert role for him, that probably doesn't exist in Yze's system. He's a midfielder. We need them. Build him into that. But I'm still in on him. All in.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I think he has improved a bit in the physicality area but it's still something he has to work on. You can see he really wants it, though, so hopefully it improves like it did for others including Short.

And @Scoop let's hope Sonz was working on Soligo! (Swap for Graham? I know Graham's a free agent but he's restricted so technically we could match and trade)

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Was in RAdelaide for Gather Round and actually sat on the table right next to Sonz and Solgio. Was the British Hotel in North Adelaide.

We arrived at 1/4 time of Geelong v Dogs, watched the first game and the hill at Adeliade was getting super rowdy, jumped in a cab and got there in 10 minutes. I reckon Sonz was gone 15 minutes after we left. Looked happy and very lean. Completely different. He and Solgio left early, maybe half time of the second game. Why shouldn't you catch up with your best mate on a work trip? We all do it

Yeah, plus it's kind of the point of the Gather Round - everyone in one city, away from your home town and other distractions except for the Adelaide teams of course. Why wouldn't you catch up with a mate from junior footy?

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Why do we have to be sold or not sold on a young player making his way in the game? I suspect the club is playing him because they see something in him, he was brought in after one game in the vfl and by all reports had a great pre season.

He had some good moments and some bad ones on Sunday but he presented a lot. He had opportunities late because he was involved and his goal was a very good one, high skill level.

Sonsie is an outside midfielder, there are lots of them in the AFL because someone has to receive from the inside guys. There is nothing wrong with that, we need outside midfielders. What I am looking for is for him to continue to present and learn from his mistakes. He needs to learn a little more composure when he has the ball and hopefully that will come, to me he looks like he hasn't quite picked up the pace of senior footy.

If you look at the draft class of 2021 we have a key back in Gibcus, a composed medium defender in Brown, an outside mid in Sonsie, a high half forward in Clarke and a winger in Banks. That's a good mix. None of them have made it as yet for various reasons but all of them have shown traits that can make them AFL players. They may or may not succeed but what is pretty clear to me is that Yze and the club want to give them every chance to do so.

Reactions: 13 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Let's not forget how well Sonz played in a hot elimination final in hostile territory, aged 19, in his 10th game.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
, to me he looks like he hasn't quite picked up the pace of senior footy.
I agree with you. Think there is hesitation in not quite knowing whether to go or keep his width.
Give him time to settle and learn this role

Reactions: 3 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Never been a Sonsie fanboi (like many on here) and still not TBH.

Not strong enough in his attack on the footy to be a midfielder, or the pace to play half forward/wing that you need elite runners for.

Also has a bad habit of rushing his disposal when physical contact is coming. That was on display against St Kilda.

Hopefully improves those areas, but hasn't really as yet.
True Daisy Lays but if he has stronger attack or was faster he wouldve been top 5.
Both of those and top 3.
And we wouldn't be posting about him today.

The good news is its improveable.
With maturity and preseasons comes composure and commitment at the contest.
he remains a work in progress with some good traits

Reactions: 2 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I don’t understand the vitriol towards Sonsie. Not everyone can, or needs to be a contested inside player. Being a receiver and good distributor is an important role.

Gryan (lol at even typing that stupid name) Myers avoided contact and contests a few times the other night but they value what he does, a very accurate if unconventional kick to targets inside 50.
The thing with Cryin though is that soft as he is at the physical contest ( nearly needed the medicart when Bash's fearsome beard riffled his chest ) he runs his arse off game after game filling the spaces to either guard or even better, be the rebound link. Then he uses the ball extremely well as the attacking link or setting up the goal shot opportunities. If Sonz can get himself somewhere near Cryin as a player I'll be happy to shut the *smile* up, but I'm not seeing it at either magoos or senior level so far. What I do see far to often is that his first option is to sag off his opponent regardless of who has the ball or where it is in the play.

yo_eddy

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 18, 2023
The thing with Cryin though is that soft as he is at the physical contest ( nearly needed the medicart when Bash's fearsome beard riffled his chest ) he runs his arse off game after game filling the spaces to either guard or even better, be the rebound link. Then he uses the ball extremely well as the attacking link or setting up the goal shot opportunities. If Sonz can get himself somewhere near Cryin as a player I'll be happy to shut the *smile* up, but I'm not seeing it at either magoos or senior level so far. What I do see far to often is that his first option is to sag off his opponent regardless of who has the ball or where it is in the play.
Fair. I thought his running and work rate had improved (and his dramatic change in body shape indicates a much greater level of fitness). He was one of the three players who ran to the goal square for Bolton's kick in the dying seconds of the game against Sydney.