Welcome Will Martyn | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Will Martyn

Was thinking the same thing. Texted my son (18) about the delistings and he wasn’t sure who Will Martyn was. Covid seemed to have hidden some of these boys to the masses.
True. He only came close with the Y in the surname......but sadly no relation to Duz. :))

Had a great attitude by all accounts. I love that.
Agree on the covid interruptions.. another lost in the wash. Injuries & illness also haven't helped.
All that said probably didn't quite have enough tools to make the grade regardless.
This was the most straight forward of the delistings IMO.

Reactions: 2 users
My only issue with MartYn’s delisting is that he is a pure midfielder and he spent the year been “ educated “ of half back while RCD spent the majority of the year bludging through the middle of the ground , WM was instrumental in that great win against the Cats when thrown in the middle and basically that was it for midfield time . Not that he was up to the speed of AFL , however I would have liked to see him get a better run at it at VFL level this year .

Hopefully GC gives him a go

Reactions: 3 users
It is a very tough call, the right one, but still tough.
Nah it was easy. Slow and an average decision maker. You could tell in his 1st game versus Port where he got run down and caught a few times that he wasn’t up to it

Reactions: 1 user
Nah it was easy. Slow and an average decision maker. You could tell in his 1st game versus Port where he got run down and caught a few times that he wasn’t up to it

I was referring to the impact on the player, given that he was trying to establish himself during the Covid epidemic. Compared to a number of others on our list, didn’t get a lot of time to show what he could do.

I was referring to the impact on the player, given that he was trying to establish himself during the Covid epidemic. Compared to a number of others on our list, didn’t get a lot of time to show what he could do.
RCD was the tough one. He actually showed some ability at AFL.

Martyn wasnt near it in the end to be honest.

Drafted as a pure midfielder and ended up at HB in the VFL.

Looked like he had some ability to make it early on. But proved to be one paced and too similar to Ross and Graham.

After 3 years and no impact or sign of real improvement - Will unfortunately was an obvious delisting for mine.

Reactions: 2 users
Will wasn't AFL calibre unfortunately. Just didn't have the pace nor ability to adapt to the speed of AFL. Still, I'd have loved to play the games for the Tigers.

My only issue with MartYn’s delisting is that he is a pure midfielder and he spent the year been “ educated “ of half back while RCD spent the majority of the year bludging through the middle of the ground , WM was instrumental in that great win against the Cats when thrown in the middle and basically that was it for midfield time . Not that he was up to the speed of AFL , however I would have liked to see him get a better run at it at VFL level this year .

Hopefully GC gives him a go

As the club consistently state, our VFL program is a development program. Once it was clear that Martyn didn't have the skills to make it in the AFL as a pure midfielder, they wanted to see if they could make him a player in a different position. Being a development program it will result in the club not always going with what appears to be the best team, but the best setup for developing players for AFL footy.

They knew Martyn wasn't going to make it as a midfielder in the AFL so weren't going to persist there. They really needed to try RCD out there to see what he had, and clearly not enough.

Was an awkward BnF when Hardwick was talking about the future with this bloke on his left shoulder. Good luck to him.

Knew exactly how he felt after I was made redundant but worked for another six months and listening to leadership rattle on about stuff.

Can tell his grandkids that he played for the mighty Richmond Football Club. If I achieved that, everything else in my life would be bonus. Good luck in the future Wili!

Reactions: 9 users
You can never go that early recall cogs and lambo being caught oft in first few games until they accustomed to pace of afl

You can never go that early recall cogs and lambo being caught oft in first few games until they accustomed to pace of afl
Cogs dominated at VFL level for half a season before playing seniors. He was always going to make it.

Has signed to play with Port Melbourne in the VFL as has Tom Greens brother Josh.

Reactions: 1 users