Welcome Will Martyn | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Will Martyn

Smoking might’ve nailed it. A watch on his ability to deliver at AFL by foot, but I do like his size and intimidation factor.

Good sized midfielder who looked like he was out of puff during the third quarter.
Good experience for him .
I like the boy .

Like all our midfielders yesterday, he was a boy against battle hardened men and thought he and the others all acquitted themselves quite well in the circumstances. They certainly looked interested unlike some of the recent matches from our premium midfield

Reactions: 2 users
Seems to be improving and doing well in the VFL at half back reading the coaches reports, just hard to see him getting a game in the seniors when Rioli and Baker are performing so well and are going to be around for a long time.

Reactions: 1 user
Seems to be improving and doing well in the VFL at half back reading the coaches reports, just hard to see him getting a game in the seniors when Rioli and Baker are performing so well and are going to be around for a long time.
Half back is easy street. IMO you should be excelling in a difficult posi in the seconds to get a game, especially if you've been on the list for a while, mid, fwd or KPB, and he's not a KPP obviously. No problem with a player playing HB once they get a game in the seniors, but I do have a problem with a player getting a game based on HB form in the seconds, it tends to be fools gold.

Martyn, Cumberland and RCD are up against it.

Reactions: 1 users
Martyn? Fascinating journey.

Lumberer. Can't get it. No idea. Clarke special. Supposed to be a mid. Martyn is Exhibit A in the frogmarch Clarke trial. But posters don't post about Martyn because he's a lost cause. Why upset the faithful?

We moved him to HBF four(?) weeks ago.

They say at The Hague that every time Seb Ross touches a football a jungle dies. A month ago switched to HBF at VFA level, Will Martyn was miles more disastrous than that with Ball In Hand. If you could notice those rare moments. (Seismic testing much?)

Martyn is 3.9 for 20m. How anybody could recruit him is a mystery of Daboro proportions. Watch the games. Watch the horror. Outside. Lumpy. Can't catch and then the Fukushima ball use.

Capuano would have Capuano'd him.

Any Richmond supporter who found himself in charge of a checkpoint must needs make deep enquiries of a passing recruiting manager. Much as it might offend the recruiter, some investigations must be drilled down, despite personal hardship.

Morro gets a lot wrong. And he keeps talking Martyn up.

But Martyn is emerging. He's an aerialist. Holds position and knows where it will fall. Can, at last, get the ball. And, just last week it turns out, can find and hit a target.

Even two weeks ago, Martyn was still instructed to go back behind the mark. Then he'd overcook it and go short for a hilarious turnover, again.

I've been appalled by this guy for years. But fascinated for a month.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Learning a few tricks at half back , I think will see him move back into the guts soon and then progress to the senior side

Lumberer. Can't get it. No idea. Clarke special. Supposed to be a mid. Martyn is Exhibit A in the frogmarch Clarke trial. But posters don't post about Martyn because he's a lost cause. Why upset the faithful?

They say at The Hague that every time Seb Ross touches a football a jungle dies. A month ago switched to HBF at VFA level, Will Martyn was miles more disastrous than that with Ball In Hand. If you could notice those rare moments. (Seismic testing much?)

Martyn is 3.9 for 20m. How anybody could recruit him is a mystery of Daboro proportions. Watch the games. Watch the horror. Outside. Lumpy. Can't catch and then the Fukushima ball use.

Any Richmond supporter who found himself in charge of a checkpoint must needs make deep enquiries of a passing recruiting manager. Much as it might offend the recruiter, some investigations must be drilled down, despite personal hardship.

But Martyn is emerging. He's an aerialist. Holds position and knows where it will fall. Can, at last, get the ball. And, just last week it turns out, can find and hit a target.

Even two weeks ago, Martyn was still instructed to go back behind the mark. Then he'd overcook it and go short for a hilarious turnover, again.

Jack, someone needs to collate a book of your prose on PRE.

Reactions: 1 user

So…I’m taking it you’re not a fan R ? :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
If I may, while I don't speak Dyer'ese (no one does) I do have a fairly good understanding of it. And a similar view of Martyn.

In the guts he's been a plodder, despite the VFA B&F. At half-back he's been something of a slow-burn revelation. He intercept-marks. He's strong. He joins in with the midfield when appropriate and has begun to use the ball pretty well.

He reminds me of another bloke who wears 36 - Perryman from GWS. Same low-slung, big-arse build. Perryman has played most of his footy at half-back, now making a fist of it in the guts. Martyn is three years younger and even slower, but similar.

Incidentally, we have another in the 2s built and playing along the same lines - Nick(?) Guiney. (Even bigger arse.)

Timing - would have had 30 games under his if not for an era of Prestia - Edwards - Cotch - Lambert - Dusty - Grahame - era. Borderline delist IMO. (regrettably)