Welcome Will Martyn | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Will Martyn

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Nowhere near it tonight.

A big ask for his debut ................ but has to go back after that.

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I reckon dropping him will destroy his confidence.
He can't be that bad, it's experience that makes you better.
What a place to debut

Reactions: 6 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
You gotta throw them in the cauldron at some stage. I'd give him another week. Game wont be so hot against Saints and wider ground. Was certainly a tough initiation.

Reactions: 2 users

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
I reckon dropping him will destroy his confidence.
He can't be that bad, it's experience that makes you better.
What a place to debut
Seemed rattled. kicks straight to the opposition, then made more errors trying to make up for the initial ones.
I wonder how long the mindset stuff takes to help younger players as they start working on that mental side of their game. Cant be too immediate.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
End of the day it was a bad debut. To slow, not only by his run but also in decision making. Got caught several times without any awareness of what was around him.

yeah its pretty hard to guild the Lilly.

he has no body of work for us to judge him properly on,

but he appears to be coming from a fair way back

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Need to keep Not Dusty, Rossy n Mansell in the side for next week. Massive game last night with full on heat n pressure. Don't drop them, teach them n back them in for the double up.
First taste is always an intense experience, second bite will allow them to savour n enjoy the flavour.

Reactions: 1 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
It was the kind of debut we saw in the 90s.

Not ready, but thrown in out of desperation and career destroyed in 5 games.

Thankfully we have an infinitely better support structure these days.

He will rebound, but remains to be seen if he is good enough for this level.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
A paraphrased quote from Martin’s first game:

“It was a lot faster than I thought, I struggled to keep up with the pace of the game”

No typos above.

tigertime2

Our cup runneth over!
Mar 22, 2008
That was the hottest game of footy for a long long time. *smile* I seen a couple of port players pull completely out of contests. Not very often cotchin gets caught...he did last night.
He did a couple of good tackles. Some people expect miracles. After 50 games then pass judgement.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
In hindsight it would have been better to debut RCD. He at least had season in the VFL back in 2019. Martyn didn’t have that background, and consequently wasn’t quite ready.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Yes he lacked composure but he got it 12 times in 57% TOG. Composure will improve with experience.

FWIW I thought he was better than Ross and I would give him another week

Ripplestick

Tiger Champion
Jan 18, 2007
In response to a question on how he thought our debutants performed, Hardwick said ''Some of the guys were a little bit upset' ... I dare say he was referring specifically to Martyn.

I felt sorry for Will, Hardwick said he was ready but clearly he wasn't. That sort of baptism of fire can destroy confidence for a long time.