Welcome Will Martyn | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Will Martyn

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
In response to a question on how he thought our debutants performed, Hardwick said ''Some of the guys were a little bit upset' ... I dare say he was referring specifically to Martyn.

I felt sorry for Will, Hardwick said he was ready but clearly he wasn't. That sort of baptism of fire can destroy confidence for a long time.
I thought the same that we was clearly referencing Wil. I wouldn't be totally against him playing again on Thursday (even maybe as the sub). I highly doubt he's ever been involved in such a quick game and was caught HTB 3 times. Whilst some of his kicking was rushed, I thought his handballing was good and very much part of our forward handball game.

Reactions: 1 user

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
I remember when I started playing seniors cricket. They put the bowling machine on full, and the first three hit the stumps before I swung the bat. Fourth ball I inside edged. The next one I got a proper defensive stroke in. I started in the twos, and by seasons end was in the ones. It just took time to adjust. Failure at first is normal. Not everyone is Sam Walsh ready.
Wrap our arms around him. Tell him we believe in him and were giving him one more game to get another feel, then we'll put him back for more time on ground regardless of his performance. He'll learn what to work on, and can do that back a level.
He's not played anything other than u18 and Queensland footy. Practice VFL games? Please, they're thoroughly pedestrian in comparison to last night.
He found plenty if it for the time on ground. OK he was off the pace, but he'll adjust.

Reactions: 7 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
It was Martyn who conceded the ridiculous HTB free early in the game wasn't it? That would have killed any confidence. No prior but still pinged really early in your first game, what would you be thinking after that? If you are playing your first game and are a bit slow with disposal and get caught you would be thinking, ok, faster game, need to adjust. But when you get tackled and have no prior and still get penalised you would have to wonder WTF is going on and start second guessing yourself.

The umpire need to lift their game because it is *smile* like this which wrecks the game.

DS

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Like the look of Martyn. Big, strong, athletic, urgent, aggressive, neat skills. His brain just froze last night.

The Kop

Tiger Cub
Jul 15, 2012
Not sure if already been mentioned but we had another guy play his second AFL game against port at AO a few years ago - i was at the game and honestly thought the individual would never put on a Richmond jumper ever again - turns out he would go on to be a triple premiership player and a cornerstone to our defence. Bit of patience required with Will.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
It was Martyn who conceded the ridiculous HTB free early in the game wasn't it? That would have killed any confidence. No prior but still pinged really early in your first game, what would you be thinking after that? If you are playing your first game and are a bit slow with disposal and get caught you would be thinking, ok, faster game, need to adjust. But when you get tackled and have no prior and still get penalised you would have to wonder WTF is going on and start second guessing yourself.

The umpire need to lift their game because it is *smile* like this which wrecks the game.

DS
He’ll be better for the run.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Not sure if already been mentioned but we had another guy play his second AFL game against port at AO a few years ago - i was at the game and honestly thought the individual would never put on a Richmond jumper ever again - turns out he would go on to be a triple premiership player and a cornerstone to our defence. Bit of patience required with Will.
Broady had a very good debut game the week prior against the Bears, and struggled against Port a little but the whole side was pathetic that night.

That was another agonising game against them wankers that night. Tigers havee had afew over there over the years least of all that EF.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
He’ll be better for the run.

Agree, the club will get around our 2 debutants and reassure them that it rarely gets any hotter than Richmond v Post Adelaide at the moment. They would have been told before the game to expect it to be way more pressured and fast than anything they have experienced before. They will be given time to develop and adjust, giving them a taste is the way to go.

DS

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Got a hold of some ball n then even found himself in space to set up n create. Kid'll learn all about how to utilise the time n space of AFL level footy without getting himself run down. Best learning comes from getting things wrong n then adjusting.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I’m not a fan of giving a guy a go for one game then dropping them but I think in this case he,ll be back playing VFL this weekend.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Big stepup from the NEAFL isnt there.
Who knew?
Play him again next week

Reactions: 2 users

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
Can't write a player off after 1 game.

The club obviously see some things in him that they like.

Needs to work hard on the things that let him down Friday night.

Reactions: 1 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Got to the right spots and got quite a bit of it. His brain just froze.

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
you can freeze on the big stage first , plenty have
it was a super hot game and to go from scratch matches to that was a huge leap

We have the culture in the club to look after him , he's had a taste
now does it kill him or put fire in the belly

if it puts fire in his belly he's probably a keeper

it will take time to lean that about him

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
There is no 75 point win against a bottom 2 side delusion here, how easy is this caper debut. This was Port, away, big stage, both teams wanting to get back on the winner list. Even if he gets put back to the 2ns he will learn plenty from Friday night. No suggestion at all he can not make it at this grade.

Reactions: 2 users

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
There is no 75 point win against a bottom 2 side delusion here, how easy is this caper debut. This was Port, away, big stage, both teams wanting to get back on the winner list. Even if he gets put back to the 2ns he will learn plenty from Friday night. No suggestion at all he can not make it at this grade.
I used to hate the way the Tigers would debut players against really tough teams. wanted the youngsters to come in and play a blinder against the #LOLNorfs of the come. But I think I like Approach now. Play 'em when you need to and if its against the best teams in the comp then you have a greater learning opportunity.

:clap2