Welcome Will Martyn | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Will Martyn

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
Too slow in body and mind.

After one game? Geeze...harsh marker

It was the first time I'd seen him play this weekend, and I imagine it was the same for you.

Gotta give the kids a bit more of a go before we put a line through them.

Reactions: 1 users

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
After one game? Geeze...harsh marker

It was the first time I'd seen him play this weekend, and I imagine it was the same for you.

Gotta give the kids a bit more of a go before we put a line through them.
Absolutely , I recall cogs and lambo being caught more often than not in early senior appearances, let him put first game behind him and show us what he can do . Looked solid in praccy game

Reactions: 1 user

mad_tiggy911

Tiger Legend
Mar 30, 2009
I haven't put a line through him but do we give him another chance this week? I wouldn't of thought so.

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
I haven't put a line through him but do we give him another chance this week? I wouldn't of thought so.

Yep, fair enough then. I construed your post as writing him off but I agree with you on him needing to adapt to the pace of AFL.

If it were up to me, I'd give him another chance this week.

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
we need to blood these guys now, so I would be picking 2 young guns a week, they don't have to play two weeks in a row, just play. The club has about 7 young guns, rotate them around. if we don't we will lose them or worse, end up like Hawthorn, after their elite players have gone, there is noone to provide the spark. Cotchin, Edwards, Bacher, even Jack, Aarts can miss a week every month. Need them to develop quickly.

Reactions: 3 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
He saw the standard of the game at the higher level, will be invaluable experience. First game against a very good opponent showed us he is not there yet, which is no surprise at all.

Give him some real VFL games, I would think the real VFL games will be a bit harder than practice matches, and develop the talent to see if he can make it.

It is a tough game, and it takes time and experience to develop a player, so give him time and experience.

DS

eddazol

Tiger Superstar
Sep 22, 2014
He saw the standard of the game at the higher level, will be invaluable experience. First game against a very good opponent showed us he is not there yet, which is no surprise at all.

Give him some real VFL games, I would think the real VFL games will be a bit harder than practice matches, and develop the talent to see if he can make it.

It is a tough game, and it takes time and experience to develop a player, so give him time and experience.

DS
Agree. A tough initiation but he now knows what the step up in pressure is

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
All the 1-2 yr players need some real VFL game time. Last year from a footy perspective didn’t count. Martyn needs a full VFL season in the midfield to develop. Once he starts dominating that level bring him up to AFL

Reactions: 2 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Martyn was my highlight of the 2 games , from my limited viewing of him I’d seen genuine hardness, however I hadn’t seen the cleaness and the skills that he showed today, has a little bit something special I think

Reactions: 2 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I had high hopes for this kid at the start of the season. Got that early game against Port but hasnt been seen since. Was the hoping he would be that inside / outside mid we need. Development has been stalled.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Martyn is young, had one game which wasn't great. Like all youngsters will need some time, plus experience is invaluable when shifting up to AFL level.

We write off young players that quickly we really are a mess.

DS

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I don’t know if Will Martin will make it. What I do know is that we desperately need to inject some top end young talent into our midfield. We have really dropped off in this area.

We have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds and it’s looking like the first of them will be top 10; haven’t had one of these since Vlastuin in 2012. If we keep all of these picks I believe at least 4 of them should be used to draft the best midfielder available at that point. The other 2 for key position players.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Rather play Martyn than Naish. He provides some zip and hardness around the packs. May not make it but his style of game is what we need.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Can anyone be *smile* providing stats on the success, or otherwise,

of unmatched Academy blokes?

I cant think of one.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
From what I've seen he's a busy and energetic mid in and around packs. Big question is whether he has the smarts and nous to be a player.

Reactions: 1 user