What are you looking forward to in 2023 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

What are you looking forward to in 2023

It hasn't though, because in those days you could contest the ruck anyway you liked. You could jump on them early, push, stand against them, push on their dominant hand and so on.

You can't do any of that now. It's not just nominating that has changed around the ruck rules.
What’s any of that got to do with the nomination rule? Isn’t that what we’re talking about ? Not the art of rucking.

18.4.3 doesn’t mention the rucks have to be “separated“ from the rest of the players on the ground like you contend they have to be. It’s just that the other players can’t make contact with them. Otherwise they can stand right next to them and can make contact with anyone else as long as it’s within 5 metres of the ball.

And I know the nomination rule was introduced in 2017 to combat 3 rd man up (NOT blocking). I’ve already mentioned that.
They cannot make contact. No shoulder to shoulder, no arm across. They are separate. That's not the case for other players around the stoppage. So, again, if the ruckmen aren't nominated, how does the umpire know who is intending to compete?

What’s any of that got to do with the nomination rule? Isn’t that what we’re talking about ? Not the art of rucking.

That's the part you are missing. It's not just the nomination rule that has changed. The ability to scrag a ruckman was also removed at the same time.

So if you remove the nomination rule you aren't just going back to rucking as it was with no third man up, you are going to ruckman having protection from scragging but no-one knows who the person is that is being protected, so everyone can potentially claim that protection.

They cannot make contact. No shoulder to shoulder, no arm across. They are separate. That's not the case for other players around the stoppage. So, again, if the ruckmen aren't nominated, how does the umpire know who is intending to compete?
The other players not making contact has been in place, as you say, for some time. Well before the nomination rule.

How did they do it then ?

18.4.3 doesn’t mention the rucks have to be “separated“ from the rest of the players on the ground like you contend they have to be. It’s just that the other players can’t make contact with them. Otherwise they can stand right next to them and can make contact with anyone else as long as it’s within 5 metres of the ball.
"
AFL Chief Executive Officer Andrew Demetriou said the Commission had approved the following three recommendations from the Laws of the Game committee at its meeting in Melbourne yesterday, and these had been detailed to clubs today:
  • Ruckmen At Stoppages - Separation of ruckmen at stoppages, with no contact permitted until the ball has left the umpire's hand, to allow for a greater likelihood of the ball being cleared.

"
AFL Chief Executive Officer Andrew Demetriou said the Commission had approved the following three recommendations from the Laws of the Game committee at its meeting in Melbourne yesterday, and these had been detailed to clubs today:
  • Ruckmen At Stoppages - Separation of ruckmen at stoppages, with no contact permitted until the ball has left the umpire's hand, to allow for a greater likelihood of the ball being cleared.
Demetriou ? Who ?

2022 version. The term separation is removed.

(d) makes contact with an opposition Ruck prior to the football leaving the field or boundary Umpire’s hand;

2022 version.

(d) makes contact with an opposition Ruck prior to the football leaving the field or boundary Umpire’s hand;

The way they run that is to ask them to stand a metre apart, hence the separation. That would be the only way to be able to determine who made contact I think.

I thought they changed everything at the same time, but obviously I was wrong and the separation changed a few years earlier.When did no third man up come in?

The way they run that is to ask them to stand a metre apart, hence the separation. That would be the only way to be able to determine who made contact I think.

I thought they changed everything at the same time, but obviously I was wrong and the separation changed a few years earlier.When did no third man up come in?
There is no reference from what I can see to separation between ruckmen in the rules. And the NO CONTACT rule is in respect of other players making contact with the ruckmen - not between the ruckmen themselves. 2022 version.

Scenario 1. Yes. If he chooses to do that he runs the risk of blocking. Free kick.

Scenario 2. This was brought up during the year because it’s exactly what’s been happening. Umpires giving time for someone a mile away to contest. Solution ? Throw it up straight away.

Scenario 3. Pretty simple. 3rd man up. Free kick.
Free kick to who?
Not against Stanley who is standing mildly by while Hawkins rucks.
Is Stanley harshly done by when the 2 rucks are Hawkins and Balta?
How can the umps know that he is blocking the ruck?
Crowd are livid.

S2 throw it up straight away but both bilcalvs and Stanley are right there. Not solved.
Nank is fuming.

S3 third man up? I only count 2 - Nank and Rohan. Again Stanley is a bystander (he is good at this)
No free kick but Nank is aggrieved and crowd are incensed

S4 Dimma is sick of the shenanigans and sends Hopper to stand infringement of blicalvs and stop him jumping in the ruck.
Play on except Impire (non officating) runs uo from 70m away to pay free kick for blocking against Hopper.
But he was in the ruck against Blicalvs right? Imp still pays the free

Demetriou ? Who ?

2022 version. The term separation is removed.

The term "separation" wasn't in the 2013 rule book either -- I'm showing you the intent of the rule change, not the actual wording.

There is no reference from what I can see to separation between ruckmen in the rules. And the NO CONTACT rule is in respect of other players making contact with the ruckmen - not between the ruckmen themselves. 2022 version.
The ruckman must be separated from each other. They cannot make contact until the umpire has released the ball.

Free kick to who?
Not against Stanley who is standing mildly by while Hawkins rucks.
Is Stanley harshly done by when the 2 rucks are Hawkins and Balta?
How can the umps know that he is blocking the ruck?
Crowd are livid.

S2 throw it up straight away but both bilcalvs and Stanley are right there. Not solved.
Nank is fuming.

S3 third man up? I only count 2 - Nank and Rohan. Again Stanley is a bystander (he is good at this)
No free kick but Nank is aggrieved and crowd are incensed

S4 Dimma is sick of the shenanigans and sends Hopper to stand infringement of blicalvs and stop him jumping in the ruck.
Play on except Impire (non officating) runs uo from 70m away to pay free kick for blocking against Hopper.
But he was in the ruck against Blicalvs right? Imp still pays the free
I think if you go back and look at your post previous, your not being consistent eg you said Stanley in ruck and Rohan jumps over the top of him and Nank. Now you’re saying Stanley is a bystander. Huh ?

Scenario 5 ball in on the forward flank
10 blokes for each team scragging each other to contest the throw in. One unholy mess of 20

And DavidSSSS asking Why the don't just pay the first holding the man, no matter how light it is.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
The ruckman must be separated from each other. They cannot make contact until the umpire has released the ball.
You said originally that the ruckmen had to be separated from the other players. Quote: “The rules say that the ruckman must be separated from other players.”

It’s contact, not any distinct level of separation eg a defined level of space between them. The word separation isn’t used in the rule book.

It all gets to be a complete mess, Hopper blocks Danger who claims to be the ruck, but then Hopper counters with, yeah, I knew that, I'm the opposing ruck.

The nomination rule is horrible, truly horrible, but the problem is that something went wrong years ago which meant they had to do something. If we could work out how to fix this mess it would be good. Throwing the ball up a lot quicker would certainly help.

Holding the Man has no stipulation on heaviness of the hold, and when one player gets hold of another player's jumper we can see this. Not paying holding is a blight on the game.

But the Stand rule is even more of a blight, it has to go.

DS

Reactions: 2 users
It all gets to be a complete mess, Hopper blocks Danger who claims to be the ruck, but then Hopper counters with, yeah, I knew that, I'm the opposing ruck.

The nomination rule is horrible, truly horrible, but the problem is that something went wrong years ago which meant they had to do something. If we could work out how to fix this mess it would be good. Throwing the ball up a lot quicker would certainly help.

Holding the Man has no stipulation on heaviness of the hold, and when one player gets hold of another player's jumper we can see this. Not paying holding is a blight on the game.

But the Stand rule is even more of a blight, it has to go.

DS
The stand rule is infinitely worse, agree.

You said originally that the ruckmen had to be separated from the other players. Quote: “The rules say that the ruckman must be separated from other players.”

It’s contact, not any distinct level of separation eg a defined level of space between them. The word separation isn’t used in the rule book.
That's right, the ruckman must be separated from other players. That includes the other ruckman. No one can make contact with them. That being the case, how will umpires determine who must be contact-free if no one nominates?

That's right, the ruckman must be separated from other players. That includes the other ruckman. No one can make contact with them. That being the case, how will umpires determine who must be contact-free if no one nominates?
I keep telling you, the same way they were before the nomination rule came in (2017) and you had any amount of different players going up in the ruck all over the ground.