What's Elon Musk up to today… | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

What's Elon Musk up to today…

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
He's really taking the launch of Threads really well.
1688957750490.png

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
To me Musk is a paradox.

On one hand, he has some strange views. and seems to be deliberately destroying twitter.

On another hand, he has done some great things for humanity. Not just Tesla, but Space X. There is nothing more important than humankind colonising the Moon and Mars. Nothing.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Like a lot of businessmen Musk is making his money from an overhyped company. Current valuations of Tesla are something like 30-45x EBITDA. They are insane multiples that IMO will never see the increase in realisation of profits.

A lot of businessmen get lucky with timing on investments, and the very best ways then know when to cut and run. He hasn't shown the latter much as yet.

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
To me Musk is a paradox.

On one hand, he has some strange views. and seems to be deliberately destroying twitter.

On another hand, he has done some great things for humanity. Not just Tesla, but Space X. There is nothing more important than humankind colonising the Moon and Mars. Nothing.

Disagree. At his core he is just another typical ruthless business man looking to maximise profits. He's not humanities saviour and isn't doing these things out of the goodness of his heart. He's doing it for money. And ego.

Reactions: 3 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Disagree. At his core he is just another typical ruthless business man looking to maximise profits. He's not humanities saviour and isn't doing these things out of the goodness of his heart. He's doing it for money. And ego.

Hard to disagree. but whatever the reason, i still stand by my point. He cares about profits and his ego. I care about the survival of the human race.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
To me Musk is a paradox.

Yeah, lets go live on a planet with 1% of Earth's atmospheric density of which 90% is CO2, extreme solar radiation due to no magnetosphere, highly toxic soil, no liquid water as it's about 40 below.

I love scifi, but colonising Mars is a fantasy. We have the perfect planet for us but instead of looking after it, let's destroy it so rich people can live on a planet with where you get a fatal dose of solar radiation after about a 3 years of exposure. Also with 30% of Earth's gravity anyone lives there for any period will suffer muscle wastage and cardiovascular problems, if cancer from radiation doesn't get them first.

Of course, Musk also wants continued exponential population growth on earth because he reckons "there is still plenty of land".

"Saving humanity" is part of Elon's grift.

Reactions: 4 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Yeah, lets go live on a planet with 1% of Earth's atmospheric density of which 90% is CO2, extreme solar radiation due to no magnetosphere, highly toxic soil, no liquid water as it's about 40 below.

I love scifi, but colonising Mars is a fantasy. We have the perfect planet for us but instead of looking after it, let's destroy it so rich people can live on a planet with where you get a fatal dose of solar radiation after about a 3 years of exposure. Also with 30% of Earth's gravity anyone lives there for any period will suffer muscle wastage and cardiovascular problems, if cancer from radiation doesn't get them first.

Of course, Musk also wants continued exponential population growth on earth because he reckons "there is still plenty of land".

All of this is true.

But in a billion years earth will be uninhabitable. For us to have any chance of survival, we must be a multi-planet species and we must be a level 2 civilisation on the Kardashev scale.

Einstein was famous for his thought experiments. When he published his theory of general relativity a little over 100 years ago, I wonder if he imagined we would all be walking around with a device that literally had everything at our fingertips 100 years later?

Colonising Mars and terraforming it does look like the stuff of fantasy right now. But imagine how advanced we will be in another 100 years?

The earlier we start trying, the earlier we will perfect interplanetary travel and colonisation.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
All of this is true.

But in a billion years earth will be uninhabitable. For us to have any chance of survival, we must be a multi-planet species and we must be a level 2 civilisation on the Kardashev scale.

Einstein was famous for his thought experiments. When he published his theory of general relativity a little over 100 years ago, I wonder if he imagined we would all be walking around with a device that literally had everything at our fingertips 100 years later?

Colonising Mars and terraforming it does look like the stuff of fantasy right now. But imagine how advanced we will be in another 100 years?

The earlier we start trying, the earlier we will perfect interplanetary travel and colonisation.

Personally I'd be very surprised if the human race is around in 1 billion years.

Reactions: 1 users

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011

Yeah that may be all true, but it will be worth it if we get women with 3 breasts.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yeah that may be all true, but it will be worth it if we get women with 3 breasts.

total recall 90s GIF by absurdnoise