When does the reboot come? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

When does the reboot come?

Balta can be replaced by Gibcus, which begs the question, who have you got lined up to replace Jack & Lynch? Nate Caddy is a worthy target, perhaps if Blair didn't cough up our first rounder we wouldn't be having this conversation. And for the record, I rate Balta but like anything in life you have to give up something of value to get something of value. There's also more pain to come, most of our wins have been off the back of our 30+ crowd, Prestia versus Geelong for example, these guys are trending downwards. No point blaming injuries either, Lynch is in his twilight years and will get the niggles from time to time.
I agree with some of your comments but wins from the 30+ crowd mystify me. Our three best players this year have been Bolton, Taranto and Rioli. Martin has been better in recent games but most of our veterans including Prestia have been well below their best.

I agree with some of your comments but wins from the 30+ crowd mystify me. Our three best players this year have been Bolton, Taranto and Rioli. Martin has been better in recent games but most of our veterans including Prestia have been well below their best.
I don't disagree with the top 3 but there's been a significant contribution from Martin in our wins, Prestia was BOG against Geelong, Jack still our leading goal kicker, these are positions still lacking a transition plan. Granted, their output not a patch on previous years but the emerging tier not ready to take the baton either.

Balta can be replaced by Gibcus, which begs the question, who have you got lined up to replace Jack & Lynch? Nate Caddy is a worthy target, perhaps if Blair didn't cough up our first rounder we wouldn't be having this conversation. And for the record, I rate Balta but like anything in life you have to give up something of value to get something of value. There's also more pain to come, most of our wins have been off the back of our 30+ crowd, Prestia versus Geelong for example, these guys are trending downwards. No point blaming injuries either, Lynch is in his twilight years and will get the niggles from time to time.
Prestia had 19 disposals against the Cats so best on ground is probably a stretch but his goals were obviously vital.
I don't disagree with the top 3 but there's been a significant contribution from Martin in our wins, Prestia was BOG against Geelong, Jack still our leading goal kicker, these are positions still lacking a transition plan. Granted, their output not a patch on previous years but the emerging tier not ready to take the baton either.
Prestia was good in that game but sadly been well below his best in most others. You are right, the players coming through are either not good enough or not ready but that was always going to happen after a sustained period of success. We will need some astute trades and draft selections going forward if we are to climb the ladder again in the near future.

Reactions: 4 users
Noah Cumberland would be a big headed star if he was playing for Collingwood. he needs to play the rest of the year in the ones now that Hardwick has gone

Reactions: 1 users
Prestia had 19 disposals against the Cats so best on ground is probably a stretch but his goals were obviously vital.

Prestia was good in that game but sadly been well below his best in most others. You are right, the players coming through are either not good enough or not ready but that was always going to happen after a sustained period of success. We will need some astute trades and draft selections going forward if we are to climb the ladder again in the near future.
But it can happen.....look at Adelaide. I reckon we can bounce quite quickly. Give a few years!

Reactions: 1 user
Gibcus is not the same type of defender as Balta, not even close. Balta is much much stronger bodied and plays on the Hawkins types. Gibcus more of an interceptor and would get mauled by Hawkins imo.
And bagging Blair for trading our first? So how then could we have recruited Hopper, who looks the replacement for Cotchin? Or do we just keep the pick and hope to finish low enough on the ladder to get a decent inside mid that may prove to be a bust? Nah, I trust Blair to make the right call on these things, I mean he only helped build a three time premiership list, what would he know!
And finally, Lynch is going to be around for a few more years yet, while Jack sadly is done. Been rumoured we are into Himmelberg from GWS, who would be a more than adequate replacement based on Jacks form this season.
Clearly, you think we are headed towards the bottom of the ladder but I can’t agree with you there. I’m as unhappy as anyone about the win loss record this season but I don’t think we are half as bad as many people think. Perhaps I’m just an optimist but I can see us rebounding pretty hard if we get a decent run with injury and sort out our forward 50 entry strategy. Teams don’t score big against us, and thats been a great starting point for success.

Reactions: 6 users
we have to be careful , don't want to be come the next Carlton

expect instant success and fall into a cycle of constantly axing coaches , players , officals

what happens with Tarrant , Dow , Ralpsmith , Cumberland , Bauer , Biggie comes seasons end ?

they have half a season to show their worth
Tarrant, Dow and Biggy all get delisted for mine.

Hugo traded for whatever we can get for him.

Bauer and Cumberland I'm keeping.

Graham trade
Ralphsmith see ya
Mansell see ya
Biggie see ya
Dow see ya
Retirement
Cotchin
Jack
Tarrant
Castagna

Lucky to stay Ross & Rioli

I would use 6 picks in the ND
5 of them of marking Talls.
Mitchell Lewis pick 76
Larkey pick 73
Aarmaty Rookie pick

There quality kids out there.
Currently our 1st pick is 21.
Oscar Allen went at pick 21 in 2016.

Gibcus is not the same type of defender as Balta, not even close. Balta is much much stronger bodied and plays on the Hawkins types. Gibcus more of an interceptor and would get mauled by Hawkins imo.
And bagging Blair for trading our first? So how then could we have recruited Hopper, who looks the replacement for Cotchin? Or do we just keep the pick and hope to finish low enough on the ladder to get a decent inside mid that may prove to be a bust? Nah, I trust Blair to make the right call on these things, I mean he only helped build a three time premiership list, what would he know!
And finally, Lynch is going to be around for a few more years yet, while Jack sadly is done. Been rumoured we are into Himmelberg from GWS, who would be a more than adequate replacement based on Jacks form this season.
Clearly, you think we are headed towards the bottom of the ladder but I can’t agree with you there. I’m as unhappy as anyone about the win loss record this season but I don’t think we are half as bad as many people think. Perhaps I’m just an optimist but I can see us rebounding pretty hard if we get a decent run with injury and sort out our forward 50 entry strategy. Teams don’t score big against us, and thats been a great starting point for success.
I think it was the wrong time to be trading out first round picks, even Blair himself would be questioning that decision. At this juncture we desperately need top 10 picks, multiple picks if we are being realistic. I would personally feel a little aggrieved at losing a player like Balta but I also recognise he's much easier replaced than Riewoldt & Lynch, such a bind has been caused by paying top dollar for an inside midfielder who has a questionable injury history. And Balta isn't without his faults, the gap between his best and worst stark. Rance was a little bit the same so probably not terminal but I think he's pretty close to hitting his ceiling.

• Dislike
You don’t give up players like Balta. List management suicide. Just like you dont trade out match winners like Bolton.

You trade Balta to get an unknown commodity. It’s madness.

Forget about the first round this year. It’s done. All we can do is try and get another 1 or 2 picks in the top 40 and a FA.

As we play lolnorf in final round, I reckon it will be Tarrant, Jack and Chimp's final game.

Trade known quantities, players who are getting a regular game and performing reasonably well, for what? The lottery that is the draft?

No thanks, we traded draft picks for players who not only went early in their draft, they subsequently realised their potential. Draft picks are potential, players who are performing now are reality.

DS

I think it was the wrong time to be trading out first round picks, even Blair himself would be questioning that decision. At this juncture we desperately need top 10 picks, multiple picks if we are being realistic. I would personally feel a little aggrieved at losing a player like Balta but I also recognise he's much easier replaced than Riewoldt & Lynch, such a bind has been caused by paying top dollar for an inside midfielder who has a questionable injury history. And Balta isn't without his faults, the gap between his best and worst stark. Rance was a little bit the same so probably not terminal but I think he's pretty close to hitting his ceiling.
Yeah right trade a tall marking defender for what a suspect top 10 pick?
No chance.
We can delist 20 and use every pick available.

Yeah right trade a tall marking defender for what a suspect top 10 pick?
No chance.
We can delist 20 and use every pick available.
Any new coach deserves a clean slate to build the list in whatever manner he deems fit, if you are spruiking for the next Hardwick then I would have thought there would be a clean slate to assess the list and make whatever changes are necessary. If I'm in those shoes my list of untouchables would be limited to Dan Rioli & Shai Bolton, Balta a borderline untouchable but even he has a price & I'd do if it meant stitching up a key forward. Jackson's first pick in the AFL was Jack Riewoldt, that set the tone for the next ten years, that's how long it takes to build a premiership list and it's noteworthy for the fact that Jack is still our leading goal kicker. Himmelberg is also a like for like replacement for Balta, he's actually better in defence than up forward. I doubt he's a 60 goal forward, I reckon 35 goals a season around the mark, that won't get you a premiership in isolation.

We're going to be short of players any way you dice it. Hopper will be one of a very few senior players on our list in a couple of years; I think it was important to fill that age profile gap with some talent. Which isn't to say we didn't need the picks. We did. The reality is though that the system is designed specifically to break the top teams down, and what's important I think is a bit of continuity. I agree losing Balta wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would be creating a pretty big gap in our best 22 in order to fill another gap. I'm not sure there's heaps of benefit, though the salary cap space could make it a good play. I think if I was looking for tradeable talent that is replacable, I'd be thinking Short and Graham - but our cupboard at the right age/talent profile is pretty bare, which is why we got Taranto and Hopper in the first place.

We're going to be short of players any way you dice it. Hopper will be one of a very few senior players on our list in a couple of years; I think it was important to fill that age profile gap with some talent. Which isn't to say we didn't need the picks. We did. The reality is though that the system is designed specifically to break the top teams down, and what's important I think is a bit of continuity. I agree losing Balta wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would be creating a pretty big gap in our best 22 in order to fill another gap. I'm not sure there's heaps of benefit, though the salary cap space could make it a good play. I think if I was looking for tradeable talent that is replacable, I'd be thinking Short and Graham - but our cupboard at the right age/talent profile is pretty bare, which is why we got Taranto and Hopper in the first place.
Short worth about a pick in the mid twenties I reckon, Graham about mid thirties, packaged maybe a late first rounder. As a strategy worth considering, this might yield an Oscar Allen type.

we should probably trade hard into this years first round.

bolton, broad, whoever it takes.
Agree with the sentiment, but not with a solution that involves the trade of Shai.

If as some predict Dimma heads north maybe Dusty might think that his future and that of the club would be better suited if he went too. Depending on the deal back to us that could provide us with a pick and a player. As painful as it would be that might be good business.

Agree with the sentiment, but not with a solution that involves the trade of Shai.

If as some predict Dimma heads north maybe Dusty might think that his future and that of the club would be better suited if he went too. Depending on the deal back to us that could provide us with a pick and a player. As painful as it would be that might be good business.
It would be a super deal to get a pick and a player for a guy who will be 32 at the start of next season. I think we'd get some kind of token late pick, tops, for him.

It would be a super deal to get a pick and a player for a guy who will be 32 at the start of next season. I think we'd get some kind of token late pick, tops, for him.
Maybe. But Dusty still has it and for any team that might consider its self close but lacking in finals experience, who could bring more?
Besides Dusty has arguably been our greatest ever player and certainly our best ever finals player.

Not so long ago Dimma said of Dusty that he owes us nothing. True but a top pick and a player would reduce the crying :)

Any new coach deserves a clean slate to build the list in whatever manner he deems fit, if you are spruiking for the next Hardwick then I would have thought there would be a clean slate to assess the list and make whatever changes are necessary. If I'm in those shoes my list of untouchables would be limited to Dan Rioli & Shai Bolton, Balta a borderline untouchable but even he has a price & I'd do if it meant stitching up a key forward. Jackson's first pick in the AFL was Jack Riewoldt, that set the tone for the next ten years, that's how long it takes to build a premiership list and it's noteworthy for the fact that Jack is still our leading goal kicker. Himmelberg is also a like for like replacement for Balta, he's actually better in defence than up forward. I doubt he's a 60 goal forward, I reckon 35 goals a season around the mark, that won't get you a premiership in isolation.

Respect Bully but I don’t think you have a proper handle on Noah’s value at all.