When does the reboot come? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

When does the reboot come?

I still believe that the trading for Taranto and Hopper was done with Himmelberg as part of the equation. We know that luring players from other clubs are years in the making and I reckon we’ve played the long game with this.

Time will tell but acquiring a couple of his mates wouldn’t have hurt our chances

Reactions: 1 user
You have some very astute information on Drafting and young players.
I would take Tim Taranto before any kid in any draft. He is a proven quantity. He is an A Grade midfielder.
If we dont trade in Prestia at the end of 2016 we dont win any flags.
Drafting kids is hit and miss no guarantee.
I think the Taranto trade a far better outcome than the Hopper trade, put it that way, Prestia was the icing on a team brimming with potential, he was one of the final pieces of the jigsaw. The difference here is Taranto is one of the first pieces, it's still not clear whether he'll ever see finals. I hope he does but before that happens we need some cattle to come in for Jack, Cotch, Dusty, Prestia, Lynch, Grimes & Pickett. Hopefully a few picks in the 20-30 range will be the ticket.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Pressure forward mosquito fleet -
MRJ Coulthard

Wings - Banks Tresize

Backs - Balta Young Gibscus

Ruck - Ryan . Reboot shaping up

Isn't it about premierships?

We drafted to have a crack this year, no one would have predicted the injuries nor the drop-off in fform of a few of the senior boys. No injuries to the key players and we probably win another 4 or 5 games. And are in top 4. Unfortunately it hasn't worked.

There's no guarantees a "rebuild" wins you anything.
Hindsight is a marvellous thing. But seriously, looking at their age and injury history, the easiest thing that could have been predicted was Lynch getting injured and missing a substantial number of matches. And likewise Riewoldt no longer being able to assume the number one key forward when it happened.

Of course the drop-off of our senior players is also hardly surprising (I mean it's something that you anticipate might happen but hope that it doesn't), but the fragility of our KPF stocks had alarm bells written all over it. Anyhow to me that's why the idea of us challenging again this year was always unrealistic and the gamble that we wouldn't be sending an early top ten first rounder for Hopper so reckless.

You could see this coming a mile off.

Reactions: 1 users
We're stacked with flankers. Key backs? Yep. Small / medium forwards? Hopefully, if some of Moz, Cumbers, Clarke, Campbell and Coulthard come good. We need to snag a decent forward in free agency and draft a jet mid. Can't be that hard. We'll be challenging again within 2 years.

The amount of injuries we have had this year is so overblown imo. Not an excuse
I reckon our injury(/suspension) list at one stage, for a few weeks, included :
Lynch
Nank
Soldo
Broad
Gibcus
Tarrant
Biggie
Bradtke
Colina(!)
+ some smalls.

That makes it hard to field a competitive team.

A loss to Gee Whiz this week will basically kill off the season so after the bye they should start hoyimg in Banks and Sonz and Bauer ect for games.

I think the Tom Brown trade will go down in history as much much worse than the Conca vs Heppell trade. And I was livid about that one. It's these kind of drafting decisions that will set the club back years.

• Haha
A loss to Gee Whiz this week will basically kill off the season so after the bye they should start hoyimg in Banks and Sonz and Bauer ect for games.
Don’t think they’ll do anything differently until the coach is decided. Looking less and less likely that McQualter is up to the task.

So Mini gets a win, Broad has re-signed, and we are not definitely not trading Balta, Short, Bolton. Nor should we.

Don’t think they’ll do anything differently until the coach is decided. Looking less and less likely that McQualter is up to the task.
What makes you say that? He has had the job 2 weeks, what is he supposed to show you to make you think he would be up to the task?

I have no idea of whether he would be or not but interesting observation off of 2 matches you have made so am wondering why you think that?

Finals in 2023 have now completely gone, so when do we hit the reset button and start building for the next premiership???
  • Get Cotch to 300, then farewell
  • Farewell Jack in either the same game, or another home game very soon
  • Are the losses going to hurt our recruiting - will Himmelberg want to come?
  • Will players want to come without a confirmed coach?
  • Who has any trade currency to get picks? (Do we have any ability to bring on kids anyway???)
  • Would we be bold enough to say trade Shai for Pick 1? Would West Coast even take that? (I'm basing that on Harley Reid is the next D Martin)
  • What other realistic trades would upgrade our list?
  • Disappointing that Tarrant hasn't pulled the pin to allow another pick in the MSD, it's a numbers game we need to take as many picks as possible and keep whoever comes on.
Lastly, just a comment - Mini has his own career to worry about, will he be prioritising his future or the clubs future?????
10 weeks on, same questions apply

10 weeks on, same questions apply
I hope we cut deep and do similar to hawthorn. Get back in the draft and I’d be excited to watch some young talent come thru. Should’ve started in 22. Dimma has done us dirty.

I hope we cut deep and do similar to hawthorn. Get back in the draft and I’d be excited to watch some young talent come thru. Should’ve started in 22. Dimma has done us dirty.

22 we had a good chance but needed the lucky run with injuries like the Cats had and maybe a close result or two! It was worth rolling the dice IMO. We were not far off a prelim. 23 it's all caught up. Recruiting of tall forwards clearly an issue.

Of younger players who could be around for next real sustained shot:

Bolton Balta A grade
Gibcus TBD (potential for A)
Ross C- (maybe can get a couple of B years)
Ryan (potential for A) E at the moment
Cumberland D- (potential for B+)

Not much else for me as standouts, although a couple look nice with foot skills. Plenty of work to be done.

R
22 we had a good chance but needed the lucky run with injuries like the Cats had and maybe a close result or two! It was worth rolling the dice IMO. We were not far off a prelim. 23 it's all caught up. Recruiting of tall forwards clearly an issue.

Of younger players who could be around for next real sustained shot:

Bolton Balta A grade
Gibcus TBD (potential for A)
Ross C- (maybe can get a couple of B years)
Ryan (potential for A) E at the moment
Cumberland D- (potential for B+)

Not much else for me as standouts, although a couple look nice with foot skills. Plenty of work to be done.

At least if Clarke has 8 picks he might hit 1 in the late 60's

• Haha
Just like his ex wife. Still got us glory though.

I don't think we have a Day or Newcombe on our list. Or even a Worpel.