When does the reboot come? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

When does the reboot come?

Respect Bully but I don’t think you have a proper handle on Noah’s value at all.
Himmelberg could easily replace Balta in defence, if that move involved a player like Nate Caddy then we've plugged the hardest hole in the list without selling the farm. This is what I'm talking about when referring to giving something of value and also getting something back. Like I've said numerous times, I rate Balta and he's borderline untouchable but with Gibcus & potentially Himmelberg we have centre half back covered. Some of the best trades in recent times have involved similarly talented players, Trent Croad a classic example, in the lead up to that trade Hawks supporters were ready to burn down Glenferrie but things certainly calmed down when Hodge entered the building.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
No point blaming injuries either, Lynch is in his twilight years and will get the niggles from time to time.
Injuries are almost the biggest predictor of results. Give me a premiership winner that didn't field most of theior best side for most of the year. And have their best side fit and firing for the finals.

Look at the Cats. Sydney. Us. The demons against Port. No Oliver and their midfield got beat.

Now does having an older list make you prone to more games missed by key players? It didn't for the Cats in 2022.

And trade Balta for an unknown key forward prospect? Crazy.

Reactions: 4 users
Injuries are almost the biggest predictor of results. Give me a premiership winner that didn't field most of theior best side for most of the year. And have their best side fit and firing for the finals.

Look at the Cats. Sydney. Us. The demons against Port. No Oliver and their midfield got beat.

Now does having an older list make you prone to more games missed by key players? It didn't for the Cats in 2022.

Having an older list most certainly increases the chance of injury, that's why you plan your list building around a core collective in the 24-30 bracket. The fact most of our stars are north of 30 was always going to be dicey territory, I think the powers that be knew this but took refuge in the fact we'd been largely immune to injury throughout the dynasty years. Planning for injury is contingency planning, it needs to be done and the worst case scenarios canvassed in full.

As for trading Balta for a top 10 pick, I'd do it this year, it would be the right time given Jack is retiring and Lynch only has another 2 years left.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Just had a look at Tom Lynch’s stats for 2022……by round 10 he’d kicked 31 goals. Obviously you can’t just add that to our current ‘points for‘ column as it’s more complicated than that……but, just for arguments sake…..if you did add that 186 points to our ‘points for’ column we’d be about 4th or 5th on the ladder…..As bad as we have looked this year, our main problem has been our inability to score. Lynch out has been enormous for us. Clearly we need to build our list….aging stars etc…but I don’t think we are currently as bad a team as our ladder position would suggest.

Reactions: 4 users
Just had a look at Tom Lynch’s stats for 2022……by round 10 he’d kicked 31 goals. Obviously you can’t just add that to our current ‘points for‘ column as it’s more complicated than that……but, just for arguments sake…..if you did add that 186 points to our ‘points for’ column we’d be about 4th or 5th on the ladder…..As bad as we have looked this year, our main problem has been our inability to score. Lynch out has been enormous for us. Clearly we need to build our list….aging stars etc…but I don’t think we are currently as bad a team as our ladder position would suggest.

Yes, we have a strong defence that is well balanced age wise - Grimes nearing the end, but Balta/Gibcus/Young/Short/Baker/Rioli will be strong core for the next five years at least. Broad has re-signed, Tigger stills some good years left so there's your experience along with Bakes/Rioli.

Mids - Taranto/Hopper/Bolton as the core, Dusty still as the veteran. The youth is the current issue - Ross, Sonz, still have a long way to go. Dow looks like a bust. But we have a strong core for the next 5 years which we can build on.

Key forwards are the problem - Jack will go, Lynch still so important. I believe we can trade/FA in another Lynch type. Smalls - MRJ, Cumbers - still to be proven. Ryan a possibility.

We are not as badly placed as many here believe, and as for trading out Balta or Bolton - not a good strategy.

Reactions: 9 users
Himmelberg could easily replace Balta in defence, if that move involved a player like Nate Caddy then we've plugged the hardest hole in the list without selling the farm. This is what I'm talking about when referring to giving something of value and also getting something back. Like I've said numerous times, I rate Balta and he's borderline untouchable but with Gibcus & potentially Himmelberg we have centre half back covered. Some of the best trades in recent times have involved similarly talented players, Trent Croad a classic example, in the lead up to that trade Hawks supporters were ready to burn down Glenferrie but things certainly calmed down when Hodge entered the building.
I rate him more highly than Himmelburg, our Dan and Nate Caddy. Before he is finished he will play in another premiership and if it is all the same to you I'd like to keep him.

I rate him more highly than Himmelburg, our Dan and Nate Caddy. Before he is finished he will play in another premiership and if it is all the same to you I'd like to keep him.
Comparing Berger to Balta is like comparing apples to oranges. They are both KP but that's about all they share in common. Quite antithetical and would actually be a good fit for that reason. If HH does in fact come to Tigerland it would be important to keep Balta for that reason (they compliment each other's weaknesses).

Personally would love to see Balta stay at FB & put HH in as the loose third tall intercept ala Tom Spewart with Young as the support lock down KPD. That would mean Gibcus CHF.

Last edited:
Yes, we have a strong defence that is well balanced age wise - Grimes nearing the end, but Balta/Gibcus/Young/Short/Baker/Rioli will be strong core for the next five years at least. Broad has re-signed, Tigger stills some good years left so there's your experience along with Bakes/Rioli.

Mids - Taranto/Hopper/Bolton as the core, Dusty still as the veteran. The youth is the current issue - Ross, Sonz, still have a long way to go. Dow looks like a bust. But we have a strong core for the next 5 years which we can build on.

Key forwards are the problem - Jack will go, Lynch still so important. I believe we can trade/FA in another Lynch type. Smalls - MRJ, Cumbers - still to be proven. Ryan a possibility.

We are not as badly placed as many here believe, and as for trading out Balta or Bolton - not a good strategy.
With the strength in defence you refer to and the acute problems we have had forward since the Lynch injury, they should give Balta a look. The need is there right now and even if we get Himmelburg that won't change.

Irrespective, Balta and Bolton are our future and should be kept.

As we play lolnorf in final round, I reckon it will be Tarrant, Jack and Chimp's final game.
Most likely for Tarrant, if he gets back on the park and lasts. I think Jack will want to stick it out until the season's end too. But the other possibility is the first Saints game in a couple of weeks after this. Not sure if it's the Maddy R game; suspect is the Saints HG at the Dump. So Jack might want to stay on and may as well finish at G after Norf game.

But wouldn't be at all surprised if Trent calls it early after 300th game. Like Dimma, he is definitely one to put the club first. The key thing now, as finals are out of the question (may get over GWS but away so no certainty, won't beat Freo away), is to start getting games into other list players to get a better idea if they have a future and are worth retaining.

Reactions: 1 users
That is the 2nd last round- we play Port the week after.
Yer, crap! It's easy to miss that Rd. 24 match because there are no fixture details until very close to the game.

I suspect we might be well and truly done after the Norf game though. which we better bloody win ... in farewell tribute to our retiring stars, Dimma and our glorious 21st century years thus far at our MCG.

Having an older list most certainly increases the chance of injury, that's why you plan your list building around a core collective in the 24-30 bracket. The fact most of our stars are north of 30 was always going to be dicey territory, I think the powers that be knew this but took refuge in the fact we'd been largely immune to injury throughout the dynasty years. Planning for injury is contingency planning, it needs to be done and the worst case scenarios canvassed in full.

As for trading Balta for a top 10 pick, I'd do it this year, it would be the right time given Jack is retiring and Lynch only has another 2 years left.
Isn't it about premierships?

We drafted to have a crack this year, no one would have predicted the injuries nor the drop-off in fform of a few of the senior boys. No injuries to the key players and we probably win another 4 or 5 games. And are in top 4. Unfortunately it hasn't worked.

There's no guarantees a "rebuild" wins you anything.

Reactions: 2 users
Isn't it about premierships?

We drafted to have a crack this year, no one would have predicted the injuries nor the drop-off in fform of a few of the senior boys. No injuries to the key players and we probably win another 4 or 5 games. And are in top 4. Unfortunately it hasn't worked.

There's no guarantees a "rebuild" wins you anything.
We certainly did draft to have a crack but we also took an all or nothing approach, pretty much contingent on every player being fit and assuming the 30+ crowd wouldn't drop off too much. Geelong about the only team that have silverware from this approach, others like Hawthorn, Brisbane & West Coast gutted their team and spent years in the cellar. Rebuilds are like death & taxes, you have to go through a bit of pain & you generally require a couple of franchise players from the top 10. Even Geelong appear to have dropped off, that was always bound to happen. I reckon only Richmond supporters would be satisfied with the Hopper trade, currently pick 4 and a probable 200 gamer.

I reckon only Richmond supporters would be satisfied with the Hopper trade, currently pick 4 and a probable 200 gamer.

Are you saying the Pick 4 is a probable 200 gamer or Pick 4 AND another player thats a probable 200 gamer?

Are you saying the Pick 4 is a probable 200 gamer or Pick 4 AND another player thats a probable 200 gamer?
Pick 4 a probable 200 gamer, the pick from the 2022 draft 50/50. At this point I would have been sizing up Daniel Curtin, he's the one who could fill a variety of roles, key forward potential & even tall midfielder potential.

The reboot started two years ago with five picked inside 30. The impact of those 5 picks is still to play out.

Getting Hopper and Taranto was phase two of plugging gaps that we didn't fill via the draft.

Take Buller tonight and things look more balanced. It's actually a big night for us. Plug that emerging key forward spot on the list with somebody, not saying Buller is a certainty to make it but at the very least we have made an attempt to fix it makes the list look better.

The amount of injuries we have had this year is so overblown imo. Not an excuse

I think it was the wrong time to be trading out first round picks, even Blair himself would be questioning that decision. At this juncture we desperately need top 10 picks, multiple picks if we are being realistic. I would personally feel a little aggrieved at losing a player like Balta but I also recognise he's much easier replaced than Riewoldt & Lynch, such a bind has been caused by paying top dollar for an inside midfielder who has a questionable injury history. And Balta isn't without his faults, the gap between his best and worst stark. Rance was a little bit the same so probably not terminal but I think he's pretty close to hitting his ceiling.
You have some very astute information on Drafting and young players.
I would take Tim Taranto before any kid in any draft. He is a proven quantity. He is an A Grade midfielder.
If we dont trade in Prestia at the end of 2016 we dont win any flags.
Drafting kids is hit and miss no guarantee.