2018 Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2018 Draft

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Interesting to go back and look at ESPN' Chris Doerre 10 "draft bargains" before the 2018 draft.
If we select Stack, we will have two of them, Ross being the other.

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/25306097/afl-draft-underrated-bargains-2018-draft

Jack Ross
Position: Inside midfield
Expected draft range: 30-rookie
Why he can make it: Arguably Oakleigh's most consistent draft-eligible talent following the conclusion of the Australian Private School Football season - on an Oakleigh team that includes projected first-round choices Riley Collier-Dawkins and Isaac Quaynor. Ross, who remains one of this year's underappreciated midfielders, is a powerful contested ball-winner who does his best work at stoppages while possessing reliable skills.

Sydney Stack
Position: Inside/outside midfield
Expected draft range: 30-late
Why he can make it: One of this year's most exciting talents, Stack is a one-touch ball-winner at stoppages, winning the ball on the move, using speed and evasion to burst out of stoppages and manoeuvring around opponents with ease. Beyond his ball winning and movement, his skill and composure in traffic set him apart from his peers. Averaging 22 disposals, 11 contested possessions and five clearances during the Under-18 Championships and 14 disposals in the WAFL at League level, Stack is a rare high impact-per-possession player with an established contested side to his game and strong production at all levels of play

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
A player that has not been mentioned much on here but has some really big upside is Fraser Turner

Nice skills both by hand and foot
Reads the play and knows where to run for an outside player
Nice mark and can read the ball in flight well
Big tank and nice pace
already 187 / 80kg
Youngest player in the draft and already played against men last season

Think we will be talking about him a fair bit in 13 months time

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
turk-d-tiger said:
A player that has not been mentioned much on here but has some really big upside is Fraser Turner

Nice skills both by hand and foot
Reads the play and knows where to run for an outside player
Nice mark and can read the ball in flight well
Big tank and nice pace
already 187 / 80kg
Youngest player in the draft and already played against men last season

Think we will be talking about him a fair bit in 13 months time

A classic "birthday" pick. It's similar to Shai Bolton. We love to pick players that are young in their draft class. That extra 10-12 months is huge for development and growth. We don't need huge output from first year players. Bolton would have played 25 games at a sub par club by now. But he is learning his craft. Same approach will happen with Turner.

He's the type we need. Think we need one more genuine mid with outside pace.

Brimmy

Tassie Tiger
Apr 19, 2018
Looks like we’ve dodged a bullet,disc problems are notorious for instant incapacitation,often as a result of the most innocuous circumstance.
I hope Jack Bytel makes a full recovery,but given the crash and bash of an AFL inside mid,I wouldn’t put the house on a long career
The recruitment of Jack Ross,perhaps a tad disappointing Draft Night,could prove to be an inspired choice.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Brimmy said:
Looks like we’ve dodged a bullet,disc problems are notorious for instant incapacitation,often as a result of the most innocuous circumstance.
I hope Jack Bytel makes a full recovery,but given the crash and bash of an AFL inside mid,I wouldn’t put the house on a long career
The recruitment of Jack Ross,perhaps a tad disappointing Draft Night,could prove to be an inspired choice.
Ross hadn't had a pre season in 3 yrs when we drafted him, potentially massive upside.

Brimmy

Tassie Tiger
Apr 19, 2018
You are spot on Jonesey massive upside.
Great size,quick,explosive,tenacious,can stand up in a tackle and wants to Captain the club to boot.
Another steal.
RFC has gone from Drafter of Duds to Draft Burglars in just a few years.It makes a big difference when Recruitment is properly resourced and astutely led.
I have every confidence in the future there will always be draft successes and failures it’s an opinion based exercise with infinite variables determining the eventual outcome,but our recruiters do their due diligence and have a plan.
Their will be no more “JON”recruitments off a Highlights Reel.
I’m a big fan of Matty Clark and his team.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Bytel had surgery 3 weeks ago but is progressing well & is expected to join training in 4 weeks, load will be gradually increased over the next 3 months. Unlikely to play seniors but could have a brief VFL stint in August if all goes to plan. I shouldn't have to remind people that writing a guy off so early seems a tad bit premature. We all knew about his injuries pre-draft so this is hardly groundbreaking information. Saints are very pleased that he's embraced the club & he's already doing some media work to keep him in the loop. As for bulging discs, Hurley & Fyfe also had similar issues so chances are he will fine in the long run.

As for the Ross vs Bytel debate, as detailed in the hindsight draft thread it was entirely feasible to get them both, albeit with some aggressive trading with a future first.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Nobody expected much from Bytel in 2019

lets wait and see in 12 months time to see if both My and Bullus's preferred pick swap was the way to go or not

I would still give up our 2019 1st rounder for Williams & Bytel without blinking

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
turk-d-tiger said:
Nobody expected much from Bytel in 2019

lets wait and see in 12 months time to see if both My and Bullus's preferred pick swap was the way to go or not

I would still give up our 2019 1st rounder for Williams & Bytel without blinking

Maybe you'll blink when we steal another star with our 2019 1st round pick.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Dont Argue said:
Maybe you'll blink when we steal another star with our 2019 1st round pick.

That's always the risk but I'm hoping the 2 for 1 deal comes up trumps. Obviously a poor year by Richmond would be a huge spanner in the works but I think we're good for top 4 at this stage.

As for next year's draft, looking like a midfielder's draft which is why I was so keen to lock in a talented tall, especially with Jack nearing the end. You just never know when another opportunity will present itself.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
bullus_hit said:
That's always the risk but I'm hoping the 2 for 1 deal comes up trumps.

You're hoping a deal we didn't do, comes up trumps over us stealing a star in next year's draft?
Sounds like you've dug a hole and can't get out. Hope Mathew Clarke doesn't start shovelling soil in on top of you

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Dont Argue said:
You're hoping a deal we didn't do, comes up trumps over us stealing a star in next year's draft?
Sounds like you've dug a hole and can't get out. Hope Mathew Clarke doesn't start shovelling soil in on top of you

I'm actually getting pretty fed up with some of the comments in this thread, of course I'd hope for a decent player but this is all just hindsight stuff isn't it? And if the truth be known, I would have looked at ways to get back into the first round with a 2020 first (presuming Maurice Jnr shows rapid improvement).

But whatever, I'm calling it now, I won't be doing any draft stuff this year & beyond, Scoop can take over, or you can if you like. It seems the more work I do the more *smile* I cop. Definitely understand why Phantom gave up all those years ago, truly thankless task.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
bullus_hit said:
I'm actually getting pretty fed up with some of the comments in this thread, of course I'd hope for a decent player but this is all just hindsight stuff isn't it? And if the truth be known, I would have looked at ways to get back into the first round with a 2020 first (presuming Maurice Jnr shows rapid improvement).

But whatever, I'm calling it now, I won't be doing any draft stuff this year & beyond, Scoop can take over, or you can if you like. It seems the more work I do the more sh!t I cop. Definitely understand why Phantom gave up all those years ago, truly thankless task.

I wouldn't blame you bully, i certainly appreciate your efforts. You've got a bloody good strike rate too :clap

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
bullus_hit said:

But whatever, I'm calling it now, I won't be doing any draft stuff this year & beyond, Scoop can take over, or you can if you like. It seems the more work I do the more sh!t I cop. Definitely understand why Phantom gave up all those years ago, truly thankless task.

Didn't think I was giving you *smile*. Just thought it was an unusual turn of phrase.
Although the post is about the 2018 draft, the Williams/Bytel discussion is tied into the future: our next draft pick.
As for thankless tasks, I for one appreciate the work you do but don't always agree with everything I read.
I certainly couldn't do it so will refrain from commenting in future and try to enjoy from afar

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
bullus_hit said:

tigerman said:
I wouldn't blame you bully, i certainly appreciate your efforts. You've got a bloody good strike rate too :clap

Well that would be our big loss Bully. I for one, among many many others, really appreciate your insights into the drafts and the kids coming up.
Many of us don't get the opportunities or are able to put the time into it as you do. Nor have the knowledge anyway. So I know we haven't always expressed our appreciation but really your hours and hours of work, your insights and knowledge are truly appreciated.
I don't think too many drafters have a 100% strike rate and it's easy to pot someone who puts their thoughts and reasons public.
Mate, you are appreciated