2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Yeah Nah........the best inside mids are taken in the 1st Round - Oliver, Selwood, Wines, Cotch, Danger and more recently Brawshaw junior, Petracca, Serong.

We have 2nd round talent level inside mids already such as RCD, Ross and Martyn and they're role players at best.
Ditto all the decent key talls currently in the game. Trading next yrs 1st in a Draft with key talls when we'll be looking for 1 is sheer lunacy

Reactions: 1 users

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
What about if we balance it off with Fejo Junior?
I almost feel we can make a song about Fejo, a karaoke special like Tequila where you can stand there like a numpty and yell Fejo! every couple of minutes.
Yeah Nah........the best inside mids are taken in the 1st Round - Oliver, Selwood, Wines, Cotch, Danger and more recently Brawshaw junior, Petracca, Serong.

We have 2nd round talent level inside mids already such as RCD, Ross and Martyn and they're role players at best.
Oliver 187cm, Morrish medalist & VFL star who had pace & a thoroughly rounded outside game - chalk and cheese.

Selwood, oh come on, you are sounding like Shifter, Joel was in the conversation at pick 1 and slid due to injury concerns. Still waiting for a Selwood clone 15 years later but you never know.

Wines 187cm, contested beast who averaged 35 touches a match, tested at all levels............don't think Hobbs is quite in the same league but I admire your optimism.

Cotch, came into the game as a forward/mid, was in the conversation at pick 1, a few more tricks than Hobbs, let's be honest here!

Danger, see Cotch, wasn't a midfielder & needed 4 years development time to run out games. This comparison probably the worst.

Petracca 187cm, another potential pick one, calling him an inside prospect sounds like someone who never attended games.

Brayshaw junior, probably the best comparison you've come up with....................maybe...............don't know if Hobbs is quite as nimble but I'll keep an open mind. Slightly concerned that we were willing to trade 3 firsts for Horne, doesn't sound like Hobbs is quite at that level given our willingness to deal with North.

You can get some beauties in the second round and beyond - Merrett, Sloane, Shai Bolton, Mundy, Neale etc

I detect the market is having serious problems in assessing these players, Horne is apparently worth 3 firsts, Callaghan & Hobbs are worth two so does that make Horne actually worth 4 first rounders?

Can you see the absurdity? Are you the least bit concerned that we are looking to trade pick 15 to potentially move up one spot?

Reactions: 2 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
I almost feel we can make a song about Fejo, a karaoke special like Tequila where you can stand there like a numpty and yell Fejo! every couple of minutes.

Oliver 187cm, Morrish medalist & VFL star who had pace & a thoroughly rounded outside game - chalk and cheese.

Selwood, oh come on, you are sounding like Shifter, Joel was in the conversation at pick 1 and slid due to injury concerns. Still waiting for a Selwood clone 15 years later but you never know.

Wines 187cm, contested beast who averaged 35 touches a match, tested at all levels............don't think Hobbs is quite in the same league but I admire your optimism.

Cotch, came into the game as a forward/mid, was in the conversation at pick 1, a few more tricks than Hobbs, let's be honest here!

Danger, see Cotch, wasn't a midfielder & needed 4 years development time to run out games. This comparison probably the worst.

Petracca 187cm, another potential pick one, calling him an inside prospect sounds like someone who never attended games.

Brayshaw junior, probably the best comparison you've come up with....................maybe...............don't know if Hobbs is quite as nimble but I'll keep an open mind. Slightly concerned that we were willing to trade 3 firsts for Horne, doesn't sound like Hobbs is quite at that level given our willingness to deal with North.

You can get some beauties in the second round and beyond - Merrett, Sloane, Shai Bolton, Mundy, Neale etc

I detect the market is having serious problems in assessing these players, Horne is apparently worth 3 firsts, Callaghan & Hobbs are worth two so does that make Horne actually worth 4 first rounders?

Can you see the absurdity? Are you the least bit concerned that we are looking to trade pick 15 to potentially move up one spot?
U missed my point.

I wasn’t comparing Hobbs to those players.

You questioned whether taking an inside mid in the 1st round is a good idea when u can get inside mids in the 2nd round.

The reality is u can get any type of player in the 2nd round chances are they won’t be as good though.

History shows the inside mids that win Brownlows, Premierships and Norm Smith medals are taken in the 1st round if not the top 10. Hobbs is rightly our no.1 target.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
U missed my point.

I wasn’t comparing Hobbs to those players.

You questioned whether taking an inside mid in the 1st round is a good idea when u can get inside mids in the 2nd round.

The reality is u can get any type of player in the 2nd round chances are they won’t be as good though.

History shows the inside mids that win Brownlows, Premierships and Norm Smith medals are taken in the 1st round if not the top 10. Hobbs is rightly our no.1 target.
History shows that all of the above can also be sourced from outside the top 10, Priddis a rookie won a Brownlow, he fits the definition of inside mid better than most. Two time Brownlow winner Fyfe came from the second round, Norm Smith winners Luke Shuey (second round) Ryan O'Keefe (third round) and Paul Chapman (second round) were all overlooked by every club in the competition. I could go on but for every inside mid taken in the first round, there would be scores of successful ones taken after. Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker, Touk Miller, Jarryd Lyons....................................think I've made my point and this situation is nothing like finding a key forward.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Yet you have been plugging Johnson on your way to claiming Hobbs is 'rightly our number one target'. Think you are in it for a verbal stoush rather than weighing up the situation. Spending pick 9 on Hobbs is fine for most, spending pick 9 & 15 is not only overs but pretty much derails our entire draft and gives us 1 top 30 pick (presuming bids come in for Owens & Fahey). The aim should be to tuck another pick away in the top 20, not clear out whatever we have left over after the Hobbs acquisition.

Reactions: 10 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Yet you have been plugging Johnson on your way to claiming Hobbs is 'rightly our number one target'. Think you are in it for a verbal stoush rather than weighing up the situation. Spending pick 9 on Hobbs is fine for most, spending pick 9 & 15 is not only overs but pretty much derails our entire draft and gives us 1 top 30 pick (presuming bids come in for Owens & Fahey). The aim should be to tuck another pick away in the top 20, not clear out whatever we have left over after the Hobbs acquisition.
WTF are u on about? Be interesting to see how much sense you’re making in 4 weeks time.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
History shows that all of the above can also be sourced from outside the top 10, Priddis a rookie won a Brownlow, he fits the definition of inside mid better than most. Two time Brownlow winner Fyfe came from the second round, Norm Smith winners Luke Shuey (second round) Ryan O'Keefe (third round) and Paul Chapman (second round) were all overlooked by every club in the competition. I could go on but for every inside mid taken in the first round, there would be scores of successful ones taken after. Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker, Touk Miller, Jarryd Lyons....................................think I've made my point and this situation is nothing like finding a key forward.
Yep, there are diamonds to be found.
There's quite a few Brownlow medalist that I can think of who were late picks. Lachie Neale, Akermanis, Simon Black and Dane Swan.

Reactions: 1 user

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
U act like your the only one who knows about the draft. You‘re just an amateur draft nuffy Bullus. Its important not to forget that
Off course we are all amateurs in relation to the draft and this year is harder than ever before. However there is no doubt Bullus has more knowledge than most of us and we appreciate his insight and opinions. You must remember KK you stated on here that nobody was worth taking after pick eight so I am surprised you don't want us to cash the whole five picks in to get a higher selection.

Reactions: 3 users

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
U act like your the only one who knows about the draft. You‘re just an amateur draft nuffy Bullus. Its important not to forget that
To my mind you’re both making great arguments and are very interesting and entertaining to read. And you both display knowledge about drafts but have different perspectives. It doesn’t have to come to this.

Reactions: 18 users

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
I enjoy this thread as it has many great points made, good debate, that sometimes gets passionate...and then it can get personal. Let's elevate it back up - there are some really interesting and alternative views being put forward!

Reactions: 7 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
To my mind you’re both making great arguments and are very interesting and entertaining to read. And you both display knowledge about drafts but have different perspectives. It doesn’t have to come to this.
Bullus is clearly passionate about the draft and makes this thread a lot more interesting as a result of his posts.

Reactions: 9 users

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
I still can’t work out if it is better to trade up to get a higher first round one pick and bank a couple of extra second rounders next year, trade up our second rounders this year to get a low end first rounder or hold pat with what the hand we have. I suppose it all comes down to how the deck is dealt on the night and how much work they’ve done categorising changing priorities and coming to agreements with other clubs depending on how those various scenarios play out.
One big advantage that I think we should hold on to is having three picks in a row. This is a big tactical advantage - even the maths would confirm it if I knew a thing about algorithms, logarithms or algebra.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
I'm not the one who chortles, scoffs & sniggers at people's suggestions KK, you have made some good points but then you slip in the ad hominem attacks which makes you the one who carries the aura of keyboard warrior. We could have turned this conversation into something positive given we both like Johnson but instead it's become a mud flinging exercise.

And to be clear, I'm happy with Hobbs at 9, I'd rather grab the taller mid Johnson, but I'm not anti Hobbs, more cognisant of the fact that we can grab an inside mid in the second or third rounds. For me it's about getting a nice blend of players and extracting value at each selection. Given you are confused about my stance, let me spell it out -

9. Matthew Johnson - I like him at this selection because he's a polished finisher with elite agility & a player who projects as a multi position talent due to being 192cm. Players such as Johnson are rare in comparison to players such as Hobbs. If I'm being tasked to remodel an engine room then I grab the hardest part to find, Johnson represents the rarer commodity so he becomes the priority. The drop off from Johnson to Knevitt is greater than the drop off from Hobbs to McDonald, Taylor, Butler, Browne etc. This is mainly due to kicking skills and I place extra importance on this factor.

17. Zac Taylor - Skilled on both sides, excellent kicking ability, huge clearance numbers & top notch agility, which he tends to use during matches. Taylor and Butler difficult to split but being the purer midfielder gives him the edge. Butler the better athlete but for an inside role this isn't the number one benchmark (for me at least).

Trades

I think we need to bundle the twenties picks and nestle ourselves into the top 20 with perhaps the aim of grabbing one of Rachele or Goater. If we do this we avoid these picks blowing out to the thirties, that may deal us out of the best inside mids.

If you think Hobbs is a better pick than Johnson + Taylor/Butler then I'm confused & would love to hear your rationale. I sense we are about to pour all our draft capital into Hobbs and I can see a myriad of issues in grabbing other player types down the order. It's about totality & this is the wrong approach in my opinion.

Reactions: 17 users

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
I'm not the one who chortles, scoffs & sniggers at people's suggestions KK, you have made some good points but then you slip in the ad hominem attacks which makes you the one who carries the aura of keyboard warrior. We could have turned this conversation into something positive given we both like Johnson but instead it's become a mud flinging exercise.

And to be clear, I'm happy with Hobbs at 9, I'd rather grab the taller mid Johnson, but I'm not anti Hobbs, more cognisant of the fact that we can grab an inside mid in the second or third rounds. For me it's about getting a nice blend of players and extracting value at each selection. Given you are confused about my stance, let me spell it out -

9. Matthew Johnson - I like him at this selection because he's a polished finisher with elite agility & a player who projects as a multi position talent due to being 192cm. Players such as Johnson are rare in comparison to players such as Hobbs. If I'm being tasked to remodel an engine room then I grab the hardest part to find, Johnson represents the rarer commodity so he becomes the priority. The drop off from Johnson to Knevitt is greater than the drop off from Hobbs to McDonald, Taylor, Butler, Browne etc. This is mainly due to kicking skills and I place extra importance on this factor.

17. Zac Taylor - Skilled on both sides, excellent kicking ability, huge clearance numbers & top notch agility, which he tends to use during matches. Taylor and Butler difficult to split but being the purer midfielder gives him the edge. Butler the better athlete but for an inside role this isn't the number one benchmark (for me at least).

Trades

I think we need to bundle the twenties picks and nestle ourselves into the top 20 with perhaps the aim of grabbing one of Rachele or Goater. If we do this we avoid these picks blowing out to the thirties, that may deal us out of the best inside mids.

If you think Hobbs is a better pick than Johnson + Taylor/Butler then I'm confused & would love to hear your rationale. I sense we are about to pour all our draft capital into Hobbs and I can see a myriad of issues in grabbing other player types down the order. It's about totality & this is the wrong approach in my opinion.
Bully you bring so much richness to this discussion and do so with good grace and respect. Rise above the boorish and petulant.

I wanted 5 top 30 picks in this draft from the outset. We have an amazing draft hand. No need to upgrade any of our picks unless we are made an offer too good to refuse!

Genius for our first 2 picks and I really think we need to pull the trigger with Rochelle Rochelle with our first. Despite my strong preference for mids, also beginning to warm to Andrew. For a big fella, he seems to make the amazing seem pedestrian.

So many options.....

Reactions: 7 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016

Trades

Couldn't just let it go could you.

No you don't chortle or snigger at others I'll give you that, however, you do argue often in an irrational way when trying to promote your opinion at the expense of others.

You sure as hell ain't going to change mine opinion so not sure why you bother.