2021 PRE Phantom Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 PRE Phantom Draft

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Essendon go straight to the pub for an extra frothy beer moustache.

'We decided to take the difficult approach of best available needs. We've had trouble scoring goals, and we're a KP defender short. Our notepad for pick 13 read 1. Jacob Van Rooyen 2. Josh Rachelle 3. Jy Amiss 4. Tyler Sonsie - All quality, all kick goals, all around the mark at 13. We felt vindicated when Amiss and Rachelle went at 11 and 12 and Sonsie at 15. So we got our man, a Flying Dutchman back at Tullamarine, and we're off to the pub to consolidate our 3rd round approach, were we have taken a similar approach , shortlisting best available needs, being realistic with who will be there. theres about 6 players we should get 2 of tomorrow. Plus we get a sleep in through the 2nd round'

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
So GWS thinking on two firsts picks, got our man in Finn Callaghan. No brainer. The tall athlethic mid every club craves. But they all don’t have his silk. Bont like. Kicks goals. GWS are actually light on for silk, have become very workman like. Starts on a wing/ half forward. Plays right away. No red flags. Safe and straight forward.

Tyler Sonsie adds more silk forward of centre, badly needed. Kicks both feet so well and has elite smarts. That’s a skill set that’s rare. Wants to be the next Trent Cotchin. Starts forward with spells in the middle. At the start of the year was top 5 material. And he hasn’t had a bad year, starred at VFL level.

Thought about NWM but he’s too similar to Finn, getting Sonsie is like getting two top 5 picks. Elite crop.
That's my preferred duo for Richmond, so you've nailed it, Scoop. I'd trade 7 and Norf's future second to secure Callaghan.

Reactions: 1 user

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
That's my preferred duo for Richmond, so you've nailed it, Scoop. I'd trade 7 and Norf's future second to secure Callaghan.
Hobbs, Rachele & Wanganeen-Milera much better I think.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Finn Callaghan.

Tyler Sonsie

a great pairing Scoop.

for the self-proclaimed risk averse,

Bully's haul Hobbs-Rachlelle-NWA is pretty risky. I love it, but I sense real risk.

Theres a chance tigers have landed a Jack Ross - Ben Lennon - Jarrod Oakley Nicholls combo.

I dont think they have.

GWS took advantage of the picks and have nailed a blue chip pair of mids.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Why would Norf have a say? The pick is ours.

I'll take Callaghan, Sonsie, Butler/Howes/Draper/Wilmot and wait for you at the finish line.
You might be lucky and get Howes but you've illustrated perfectly why I traded the twenties picks.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
a great pairing Scoop.

Bully's haul Hobbs-Rachlelle-NWA is pretty risky. I love it, but I sense real risk.

Theres a chance tigers have landed a Jack Ross - Ben Lennon - Jarrod Oakley Nicholls combo.

I dont think they have.

Just my two cents - Hobbs (lowest risk of the entire crop), Rachele (low floor, easily the best small forward on offer, Wanganeen-Milera (boom/bust)

2 safe picks, 1 50/50

Sonsie a good get & I wanted him at 17 but he's not fail-safe, he would be top 5 & Hawthorn probably takes him at 6. They won't, they probably would take him at 13 but no higher.

If people are complaining then maybe I'm headed the same way as Frank! Yikes.

So in my exit meeting I'll probably frame it like this..............................

Dimma, I got your Cotch replacement & I didn't sell the farm because I knew you wanted a gun mid forward & a silky outside player. So Dimma, I got you the two best kicks in Australia and it wasn't easy, I had to cut many deals in the backroom but it's done. And don't worry about Taylor & Butler, I'll get you a mid slider in the 4th round. I hope you heard that correctly, THE TWO BEST KICKS IN AUSTRALIA!

Reactions: 3 users

Sammy Cougar

Goodness Gracious me The Tigers have got Another
Staff member
Mar 6, 2004
Some good picks taken why we at Freo tried to sneak back up the board our 2 picks in the 20s are on the table to try a snag a earlier pick

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
a great pairing Scoop.

I dont think they have.

Yeah, if GWS get these two I'll be super annoyed. The perfect mix to go next to Tom Green and Taranto for the next decade.

As a good as a young crop of mids in the land.

I'll take Callaghan, Sonsie, Butler/Howes/Draper/Wilmot and wait for you at the finish line.
Me too. I'm filming to holding all of our picks and getting real midfield depth out of this draft. Would be a nice change.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Dimma, I got your Cotch replacement & I didn't sell the farm because I knew you wanted a gun mid forward & a silky outside player. So Dimma, I got you the two best kicks in Australia and it wasn't easy, I had to cut many deals in the backroom but it's done. And don't worry about Taylor & Butler, I'll get you a mid slider in the 4th round. I hope you heard that correctly, THE TWO BEST KICKS IN AUSTRALIA!
New Giant Tyler Sonsie is with NVM as the best kick in the draft! Then some distance to the rest.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
You might be lucky and get Howes but you've illustrated perfectly why I traded the twenties picks.
Yes, I am a bit worried we'll be nervously ticking off too many players approaching those picks. I'd trade two of them to secure Butler.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Hobbs is a Cotch replacement like a Falcon is a GT40 replacement.
Hey, not comparing him to the great man just highlighting how much we'll miss his clearances. Hobbs will do well for Richmond in that area.

Reactions: 2 users

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
New Giant Tyler Sonsie is with NVM as the best kick in the draft! Then some distance to the rest.
Rachele is absolutely in that category, 100%, there is no daylight. When Rachele kicks there is usually a score, maximum hurt factor. His low trajectory bullets should be featured in a coaching manual. And all this Lennon & JON talk is making me want to throw up by the way.

Reactions: 4 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Just my two cents - Hobbs (lowest risk of the entire crop), Rachele (low floor, easily the best small forward on offer, Wanganeen-Milera (boom/bust)

2 safe picks, 1 50/50

Sonsie a good get & I wanted him at 17 but he's not fail-safe, he would be top 5 & Hawthorn probably takes him at 6. They won't, they probably would take him at 13 but no higher.

If people are complaining then maybe I'm headed the same way as Frank! Yikes.

So in my exit meeting I'll probably frame it like this..............................

yeah I like Richmonds haul.

I was just pointing out you dont seem to be as risk averse as you think you are.

On the small ive seen, I reckon I'd take Sonsie over Hobbs.

He was in Essendons frame at 13, but we applied the big over small rule.

I really like Rachelle at Richmond. He's just the kind of Collingwood or Essendon player we need

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
A list of highly rated mids who were injured in their draft year and went on to become stars would be helpful. I went all in on sonsie a while back after seeing his highlights from vfl. I would like Buttler as well.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
My mistake, GWS will tell you to go and eat your grandmother's spleen, cough up pick 15 or go to the back of the line.
I was thinking more if Callaghan's still there at GC's pick given they don't need more picks this year. But it looks like GWS will either take Callaghan or trade back with someone who will.