2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
I am not sure I have clearly explained why I think the club now takes a different approach (see posts 3418 and 3426),
but let me just quote my favourite modern poet,

Come senator’s and congressman throughout the land and don’t criticise what you can’t…..
…..
The times they are a changing.
I think I get your drift, kicking skills above anything else, pace also required, the rule changes may have lead to such a focus but you still need talls coming through the system.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
It was a pick swap of 21 for pick 17 & we received a future second which was used on one of Sonsie/Banks/Clarke, not sure which one exactly but given they were in a block I'd probably say Judson Clarke.
Im just taking that trade to be Higgins / Sonsie as the deal and the pick upgrade just enabled us to get Brown instead of maybe JVR/Johnson.

I also think you are being Kind to Jack Higgins
He got more than enough games for a 3 year player that had a massive injury and coming into a premiership winning team and was extremely selfish wanting to move for more 'opportunity' after the club was so good with him. He moved for 2 reasons $$$ and the team he supported. But thats just my opinion of how it worked out

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Im just taking that trade to be Higgins / Sonsie as the deal and the pick upgrade just enabled us to get Brown instead of maybe JVR/Johnson.

I also think you are being Kind to Jack Higgins
He got more than enough games for a 3 year player that had a massive injury and coming into a premiership winning team and was extremely selfish wanting to move for more 'opportunity' after the club was so good with him. He moved for 2 reasons $$$ and the team he supported. But thats just my opinion of how it worked out
His St Kilda ties were something I completely underestimated, nevermind, at least we were compensated.

Reactions: 1 user

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
It's more a comment about opportunity cost, we lost a 40 goal forward in Mabs, I don't detect a huge amount of seller's remorse in that particular instance. I also think if we lose a triple Coleman medalist the aim should be to get a replacement. Finding a 60 goal sharp shooter will be infinitely harder than finding a 40 goal player, not picking Van Rooyen won't come back to bite as I believe the open market will offer up similarly talented forwards. The challenge will be to find a 3 goal a match forward, to win a premiership we will need at least one but I daresay two will probably be the premiership template heading into the future.
I'd say that already is the template. We got found out in '18 with 1 tall so we got Lynch & went back to back. Melb & Cats have multiple tall fwds too. IMO this is where Brisbane have fallen short in the big games, they have tall fwds but i don't rate any of them as being match winners. Incl McStay none of them rated all that highly as tall fwds last yr on the official player ratings.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
The Williams/Bytel approach would have cost a future first, as a strategy it was risky but that would have been the bill to satisfy the Doggies who were positioning for West. In the end we won the premiership & selected Dow with that pick. Being totally objective I think Bytel & Dow are probably even Stevens but the extra tall makes that trade a winner.

As for Higgins & Allen, in hindsight I take Allen but I still maintain Higgins cops a raw deal on PRE, the fact he wanted to leave was due to a lack of opportunity & I also reckon brain surgery has hampered his progress, no one can plan for something like that. Perusing his stats he's now played 37 games for the Saints & booted 57 goals, those are decent numbers, last year he polled 7 votes at the Charlie, he still influences games even as a small forward. In his draft year I think he was seen as a midfielder first & foremost, I reckon that will occur more often now he's entering his prime years.
I agree on Higgins, he's no bust & i have never understood that narrative around him on here. It's just that he chose to move on but it was a decent pick at the time.

Reactions: 2 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
I believe he played forward prior to NAB league, I also remember Richmond stating he had potential in that area, that was enough for me to give him the dual position tick, an element of shooting blind but given he possesses such an outstanding vertical leap I felt it was a risk worth taking. He did kick an outstanding goal from the boundary last year, I think he's got decent range & won't be limited when kicking from outside the arc.
Worst case we have him as a key back. If he can make it as a fwd that's a bonus.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Worst case we have him as a key back. If he can make it as a fwd that's a bonus.
I like the idea of Himmelberg as he is a good level both foward and in defence
along with Miller , Balta , Gibcus he would provide flexibility & alternatives to our line up

Free agent and the right age to keep us up the top whilst replenishing

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Gibcus played CHF for most of his early junior career at East Point in the BFL. He did as well, early doors at St Pats, before the Rebels tried him at CHB and that’s where he’s played since.

He says he prefers playing down back.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Max Holmes had played ONE NAB League game before he was drafted. You just have to give credit to Wells.

Reactions: 3 users

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
Max Holmes had played ONE NAB League game before he was drafted. You just have to give credit to Wells.
I know Melbourne were keen as well but yes you have to give it to Wells and his team, they have had some great picks over the years.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
We shouldn't have traded the pick, especially to those fkwits.
We shouldve picked up that were after someone and should've told them *smile* off

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
My reservations with Van Rooyen still stand, he seems to have heavy legs, this is both evident with his kicking depth and ability to get airborne. You can get away with this at VFL level but I'm not so sure he'll have the same impact at AFL level. My conclusion after seeing all of Van Rooyen's goals at VFL level is that he's probably got a Tim Membrey type ability, 40 goal forward probably the ceiling, I don't think he ever wins a Coleman.
You never draft a forward thinking he can win a Coleman. Forty goals a season is huge in modern footy. Forty is the new seventy.

If he Membery plays another four years and kicks 30-35 a year he ends up on 400 odd goals and one of the top 100 goal kickers ever.

If Vany Rooyen can replicate that he's had a remarkable career. We let Chol walk and missed on a replacement. Madness.

Last edited:

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
You never draft a forward thinking he can win a Coleman. Forty goals a season is huge in modern footy. Forty is the new seventy.

If he Membery plays another four years and kicks 30-35 a year he ends up on 400 odd goals and one of the top 100 goal kickers ever.

If Vany Rooyen can replicate that he's had a remarkable career. We let Chol walk and missed o
What our recruiting team missed a quality kid. I can't believe it