2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Joel Corey, Paul Chapman, Cam Ling, Corey Enright (Same draft last three after thirty ),Josh Hunt (pick 44 212 games), Bartel, Kelly, Stevie J (pick 24 ) - same draft, Andrew Mackie 200+ games, (8) Tom Lonegan 200+ games (24) same draft, Matthew Egan (pick 62, AA) Travis Varcoe 200+ games (15) Matthew stokes 200 games (61), Joel Slewood (7), Harry Taylor 200 + (17), Shane Mumford (Rookie), Steven Motlop 200+ games (39) Mitch Duncan 200+ (28), Allen Christenan 140 games (40) Cam Guthrie 200+ games (23) Jordan Murdoch 122 games(48) , Mark Bilcvas (Rookie 54), Jake Kolodjashini 155 games (41), Sam Menogola 100+ (61), Tom Stewart (41) Parfitt 100+ (26), Jack Henry 100 (Rookie), Tim Kelly 100+ (24), Gryan Miers 80+ (57), Jordan Clark 56+ (15), Tom Atkins 80+ (Rookie), Sam De Koning (19), Brad Close (Rookie), Max Holmes (20).

These are draft picks only. Mostly picks after 10. besides Joel Corey, Bartel and Selwood who had huge risk attached. Wells is a legit master. Not perfect but best in class.

Reactions: 1 user

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Joel Corey, Paul Chapman, Cam Ling, Corey Enright (Same draft last three after thirty ),Josh Hunt (pick 44 212 games), Bartel, Kelly, Stevie J (pick 24 ) - same draft, Andrew Mackie 200+ games, (8) Tom Lonegan 200+ games (24) same draft, Matthew Egan (pick 62, AA) Travis Varcoe 200+ games (15) Matthew stokes 200 games (61), Joel Slewood (7), Harry Taylor 200 + (17), Shane Mumford (Rookie), Steven Motlop 200+ games (39) Mitch Duncan 200+ (28), Allen Christenan 140 games (40) Cam Guthrie 200+ games (23) Jordan Murdoch 122 games(48) , Mark Bilcvas (Rookie 54), Jake Kolodjashini 155 games (41), Sam Menogola 100+ (61), Tom Stewart (41) Parfitt 100+ (26), Jack Henry 100 (Rookie), Tim Kelly 100+ (24), Gryan Miers 80+ (57), Jordan Clark 56+ (15), Tom Atkins 80+ (Rookie), Sam De Koning (19), Brad Close (Rookie), Max Holmes (20).

These are draft picks only. Mostly picks after 10. besides Joel Corey, Bartel and Selwood who had huge risk attached. Wells is a legit master. Not perfect but best in class.
I'd take Kinnear Beatson over Wells. He built the Brisbane Lions dynasty list and has kept Sydney competitive every year since. Beatson has also demonstrated to be a master at the trade and bidding game with the AFL having to change rules to stop his tactics. He did a number on GWS this year during the draft with bids. Always one step ahead. Wells is a close 2nd though.

Last edited:

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Yeah Wells number 1, followed by Beatson.

The waters get muddied in more recent years as a lot move from recruiter to list mgr.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Almost like those mid to late teen picks are vastly overrated and have close to the same probability of success as a second or even early third round pick.

Or, Wells is just a hack and got lucky in a couple drafts over 20 years ago and has been dining out on it ever since. This millenniums Greg Miller.
I don't think Wells is a hack but he certainly isn't the messiah when it comes to identifying junior talent. Once you take out the state league players ie. Taylor, Kelly, Stewart, Menegola, Stengle etc. his record is comparable to most. As a list manager I'd say he's near the top of the tree but that is the product of minimising risk by recruiting established players, the guesswork largely eliminated. Francis Jackson has a far better record when it comes to raw teenagers, his due dilligence exemplary & even his mid to late first rounders generally locks to become 100 gamers with the exception of CEllis & Lennon and a couple of others. It's also worth noting that these were compromised drafts so it's entirely understandable there were some blunders along the way.

Reactions: 1 users

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006

Now do one taking out the retirees & state league guys, I see a bit of yesterday's hero with his picks over the past 15 years.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
you can't just take state league guys out when judging him (or anyone) though.

Irrelevant what league they are taken from. They are all taken in the draft.

Reactions: 3 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Now do one taking out the retirees & state league guys, I see a bit of yesterday's hero with his picks over the past 15 years.
Huh? You only want the guys on the list right now to judge Wells?

Putting Francis Jackson is Wells class is nonsense. You’ve pontificated with very little evidence.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004

Yeah just find me the best available player in the country at our picks and I’m happy.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006

This is the difference between being a good list manager & being a good judge of undeveloped talent, very relevant, particularly when using top 20 picks. I credit Wells with beating other teams to the punch with the state leaguers but we were all privy to their ability, nothing maverick about those assessments. He does have a handy knack of breaking the norms so it's always difficult to know when he will bite, he's not afraid to use a top pick when other clubs reserve that for top end junior talent. That unpredictability has definitely worked in his favour. As for identifying junior talent, I think his best days belong to another era, I don't see too many visionary selections.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
This is the difference between being a good list manager & being a good judge of undeveloped talent, very relevant, particularly when using top 20 picks. I credit Wells with beating other teams to the punch with the state leaguers but we were all privy to their ability, nothing maverick about those assessments. He does have a handy knack of breaking the norms so it's always difficult to know when he will bite, he's not afraid to use a top pick when other clubs reserve that for top end junior talent. That unpredictability has definitely worked in his favour. As for identifying junior talent, I think his best days belong to another era, I don't see too many visionary selections.
Is it a judge of junior talent to select a state leaguer (as better than the available talent)?

In other words selecting Menegola Mumford or Harry Taylor is an assessment that the older pick (passed over multiple times) will be more successful than the available juniors.
He's been gutsy with his state leaguers

Reactions: 1 users

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Is it a judge of junior talent to select a state leaguer (as better than the available talent)?

In other words selecting Menegola Mumford or Harry Taylor is an assessment that the older pick (passed over multiple times) will be more successful than the available juniors.
He's been gutsy with his state leaguers
Those guys, Tim Kelly, were not expected to go so high and I tip my lid, it caught everyone off guard, state league selections once reserved for the rookie draft were creeping into the first round, Wells basically worked the system after nailing Podsiadly, always one step ahead. That will be his legacy but I think I would rather Jackon in charge when it comes to under 18's, I think his approach has generally been top notch, particularly with top 20 picks.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I guess both viewpoints can be right, he's had his hits and more recently misses at the top end.

Have the cats ever had an irish rookie??
Ignor8ng zac tuohy as he'd played plenty afl games

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
I guess both viewpoints can be right, he's had his hits and more recently misses at the top end.

Have the cats ever had an irish rookie??
Ignor8ng zac tuohy as he'd played plenty afl games
Mark O'Connor & they have signed Oisin Mullin, that's a fair Irish collective.

nikolasmia

Tiger Superstar
Sep 3, 2007
Mark Blicavs & Max Holmes. When in the blue blazers was Francis Jackson visionary?
we wanted Guthrie the year we got Bachelor, and he went a few picks before us we were spewing.
Guthrie's best mate was Blicavs, and from memory he had an athletic background and Guthrie brought him to Geelong to training , and they just added him to the list category 2 rookie, Wells had very little to do with that

Holmes was our pick, and I was worried about that on draft night because of Holmes athletic profile, and I am even more worried now.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
we wanted Guthrie the year we got Bachelor, and he went a few picks before us we were spewing.

Im glad we missed Guthrie

# No blonde dreadlocks at Tigerland

Ben Nason the exception that proved the rule

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Mark Blicavs & Max Holmes. When in the blue blazers was Francis Jackson visionary?
Jack Riewoldt, Shane Edwards, Andy Collins at pick 73 who was deemed good enough to swap for pick 19 Shaun Grigg (he wanted Houli that year too), David Astbury, Dylan Grimes, Kamdyn McIntosh, Jayden Short, Jason Castagna, Kane Lambert.

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
If you are going to judge a recruiter/list manager ,just count how many premierships have been won from their selections,because at the end of the day,premierships are all that matters.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
The Scats have been lucky with father/sons Ablett, Scarlett and Shovekins, they've been 3 very very influential players.

Sir Francis Jackson for mine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users