2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
We should probably thank Wells, picking Nathan Djerrkura the pick before Shane Edwards, then Harry Taylor the pick before Alex Rance, without Rance and Edwards we probably are winning 2017, and who knows from there.

Reactions: 1 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Jack Riewoldt, Shane Edwards, Andy Collins at pick 73 who was deemed good enough to swap for pick 19 Shaun Grigg (he wanted Houli that year too), David Astbury, Dylan Grimes, Kamdyn McIntosh, Jayden Short, Jason Castagna, Kane Lambert.
Not one qualifies as revolutionary. Not even close.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I think the pick of Kent Kingsley was revolutionary i.e. we all revolted against that selection.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Not one qualifies as revolutionary. Not even close.
Here are some of Jackson's highlights, up to you how you want to frame it but from my perspective these moves contributed to our 3 premierships.

* His top 5 picks make for flawless reading, Dusty over Morabito is career defining stuff, Cotchin over Masten & Morton another critical decision which shaped the club for a generation. Plenty on here were prepared to go against the grain so it wasn't a walk in the park decision.

* Jack was a lock at 8, grabbing Polak was so close to making it a threepeat of butchery. We had just ignored Pavlich & Buddy so missing here would have sent the cow manure stock price into overdrive. Fortunately the Doggies & the Magpies let him slip but it wasn't before Jackson had stormed out of discussions in disgust.

* Alex Rance at 18 wasn't so much a step into the unknown but there was some heavy pressure to grab Scott Selwood, I remember draft night and was sweating the outcome. We eventually made the correct call, so all's well that ends well. Spine first should be drafting 101 but that hasn't always been the case.

* Jackson saw the benefits of the rookie draft which had largely been misused, his initiatives in getting candidates down to training yielded Grimes, an exercise in outstanding due diligence & a far cry from the video nights at Miller's house.

* Tyrone Vickery was not necessarily a great pick but without him there would be no Shai Bolton, that's four drafts in which Richmond have nailed the best junior in the land, if we take Zeibell then we miss a generational talent. Credit also goes out to Hartley for maximising Vickery's value.

* Astbury came in from a third round to rookie pick and has more than justified the cost, that was a vintage Jackson pick and further emphasised the need to get the spine sorted.

* Shane Edwards is a club legend & triple premiership player. How do you think Wells feels about picking Djerrkurra in hindsight?

* In 2014 the club had made the decision to inject some speed into the side, Jackson delivered in spades and the rest is now history. I think it speaks volumes that he was able to recalibrate the focus & provide Hardwick with the cattle needed to change from keeping's off to manic pressure & pack hunting. If that isn't visionary then I have no clues as to what qualifies.

* In 2015 Jackson plumped for a raw & athletic Daniel Rioli, most judges had him well outside the top 20, very little exposed form to go on. Three premierships later & a role as a defensive playmaker makes that pick one of his best over the course of his decade long career.

* After being given the flick Jackson left Clarke with a ton of residual value, Chol a rookie would go onto becoming a 40 goal forward & Butler would make the AA starting squad. This being on top of filling out spots with triple premiership players like Castagna & Broad.

As far as I'm concerned all challenges have been met, he's missed a few premium selections with CEllis & Lennon but the latter trained with the club and was given the ok by all and sundry. That's a collective decision if ever I saw one. Clarke wanted Cripps and fair play, that call landed him the top job but 6 drafts later & I'm starting to detect fewer hits & more misses. The clock is ticking and Clarke needs to revisit 2016 and assess where he's made hay.

Reactions: 7 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I don't know what you mean by revolutionary. They were good picks though, right?
Fair. Good picks for sure. I've sung Jackson's praises for a lot of what he's done but Bully putting him ahead of Wells is a bridge too far.

Reactions: 1 user

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Here are some of Jackson's highlights, up to you how you want to frame it but from my perspective these moves contributed to our 3 premierships.

* His top 5 picks make for flawless reading, Dusty over Morabito is career defining stuff, Cotchin over Masten & Morton another critical decision which shaped the club for a generation. Plenty on here were prepared to go against the grain so it wasn't a walk in the park decision.

* Jack was a lock at 8, grabbing Polak was so close to making it a threepeat of butchery. We had just ignored Pavlich & Buddy so missing here would have sent the cow manure stock price into overdrive. Fortunately the Doggies & the Magpies let him slip but it wasn't before Jackson had stormed out of discussions in disgust.

* Alex Rance at 18 wasn't so much a step into the unknown but there was some heavy pressure to grab Scott Selwood, I remember draft night and was sweating the outcome. We eventually made the correct call, so all's well that ends well. Spine first should be drafting 101 but that hasn't always been the case.

* Jackson saw the benefits of the rookie draft which had largely been misused, his initiatives in getting candidates down to training yielded Grimes, an exercise in outstanding due diligence & a far cry from the video nights at Miller's house.

* Tyrone Vickery was not necessarily a great pick but without him there would be no Shai Bolton, that's four drafts in which Richmond have nailed the best junior in the land, if we take Zeibell then we miss a generational talent. Credit also goes out to Hartley for maximising Vickery's value.

* Astbury came in from a third round to rookie pick and has more than justified the cost, that was a vintage Jackson pick and further emphasised the need to get the spine sorted.

* Shane Edwards is a club legend & triple premiership player. How do you think Wells feels about picking Djerrkurra in hindsight?

* In 2014 the club had made the decision to inject some speed into the side, Jackson delivered in spades and the rest is now history. I think it speaks volumes that he was able to recalibrate the focus & provide Hardwick with the cattle needed to change from keeping's off to manic pressure & pack hunting. If that isn't visionary then I have no clues as to what qualifies.

* In 2015 Jackson plumped for a raw & athletic Daniel Rioli, most judges had him well outside the top 20, very little exposed form to go on. Three premierships later & a role as a defensive playmaker makes that pick one of his best over the course of his decade long career.

* After being given the flick Jackson left Clarke with a ton of residual value, Chol a rookie would go onto becoming a 40 goal forward & Butler would make the AA starting squad. This being on top of filling out spots with triple premiership players like Castagna & Broad.

As far as I'm concerned all challenges have been met, he's missed a few premium selections with CEllis & Lennon but the latter trained with the club and was given the ok by all and sundry. That's a collective decision if ever I saw one. Clarke wanted Cripps and fair play, that call landed him the top job but 6 drafts later & I'm starting to detect fewer hits & more misses. The clock is ticking and Clarke needs to revisit 2016 and assess where he's made hay.
Mayo, Bully, tonnes of it. History rewritten in so many ways. Credit for Vickery getting Bolton is nonsense, the pick he takes Bolton with is credit.

Nothing revolutionary at all. A solid B-grade resume is what Jackson has, he will never be looked at in the same light as Wells.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Mayo, Bully, tonnes of it. History rewritten in so many ways. Credit for Vickery getting Bolton is nonsense, the pick he takes Bolton with is credit.

Nothing revolutionary at all. A solid B-grade resume is what Jackson has, he will never be looked at in the same light as Wells.
A solid B grade resume? Three premierships later? Boy oh boy, after 37 years in the wilderness and drafting blunders which have become AFL folklore and all you can provide is a B grade?

Wells has butchered just about every top 20 pick since 2008 and still the fanboys put him on a pedestal.

As for Bolton, the cursory tale here is talls maintain value, even average ones like Vickery, it was a decent bet which turned out to be a gift to Clarke, much like all the other players traded out for draft picks. Not once since the 82 final has Richmond had residual stuff to sell, this all coming from rock bottom.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004

Yeah Francis has a very good record. No doubt.

Is a grade below Wells though over their careers. That's no slight, just the facts.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
The revolution was 2015? Picking Butler Castagna Drummond was a significant changing of the guard moment, swimming upstream against afl groupthink.

And picking Baker on top of a cupboard full of midgets was an inspiring pick.

Reckon youre knocking down FJ. He created a unique list, the kudos is deserved because that list proved to be suited to finals action

Last edited:

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Yeah Francis has a very good record. No doubt.

Is a grade below Wells though over their careers. That's no slight, just the facts.
By what measure is he superior? It's not premierships, it's certainly not first round strike rates, it's certainly not nailing under 18 talent & it's not being a great judge of key position talent.

• Haha

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
The revolution was 2015? Picking Butler Castagna Srummond was a significant changing of the guard moment, swimming upstream against afl groupthink.

And picking Baker on top of a cupboard full of midgets was an inspiring pick.

Reckon youre knocking down FJ. He created a unique list, the kudos is deserved because that list proved to be suited to finals action

2014 was utopia - late on. Bombed early picks (Ellis, Menadue etc) but nailed Butler, Short, Castagna and Lablett late or rookie.

Bakes was a great pick by Clarke in 18'.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I don't know what you mean by revolutionary. They were good picks though, right?
You want a revolutionary pick? what other recruiter has picked a guy with no skills and no composure and watched him become a 3 time premiership player?

• Haha
  • Love

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

What about Broad? I'm not sure he was spoken about even being drafted in 2015, left field selection and the guy is now a 3 time premiership player and a very important cog in the defence that won those premierships. He wasn't a lucky addition, he was a key part.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
What about Broad? I'm not sure he was spoken about even being drafted in 2015, left field selection and the guy is now a 3 time premiership player and a very important cog in the defence that won those premierships. He wasn't a lucky addition, he was a key part.

First few games looked like a bust and then just kept on improving every week.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
2014 was utopia - late on. Bombed early picks (Ellis, Menadue etc) but nailed Butler, Short, Castagna and Lablett late or rookie.

Bakes was a great pick by Clarke in 18'.
Lambo was an exceptional pick, maybe not revolutionary tho. High performing mid from state league.
We tried it again with Marcon, have we tried since?

But no doubt we picked a bunch on type - fast hard runners. Butler Short George Drummond. Arguably even Menadue.
Lambert hard running but footy nous not speed.
With these Picks we had the goods for a revolutionary forward line and game style

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Yeah good spot.
I was going to mention him, very good draft pick and comparable to picking Taylor or Stewart from the state

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Lambo was an exceptional pick, maybe not revolutionary tho. High performing mid from state league.
We tried it again with Marcon, have we tried since?

Broad, Baker, Aarts, Pickett, Parker, Bauer, Young.

Would like to see us mine the state league's even more TBH.

Stewlander

Tiger Cub
Jan 20, 2016

FJ has done a real solid job. However it must be said the drafting of Shane Edwards wasn’t his call. Greg Miller was infatuated with Edwards and pulled the strings on this. He didn’t have many hits during his time at Tigerland but he struck gold there!

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Broad, Baker, Aarts, Pickett, Parker, Bauer, Young.

Would like to see us mine the state league's even more TBH.
Cheers, was ignoring the last few years while talking bout FJ. But its a good list.
One a year is a good balance.
With a big exit of our legends over the next few years we should aim at 2 staters each year

Aarts - pick in the mould of Marcon n Lambert.
Parker more a retread.
Baker and Bauer were kids who missed out on the draft. Reckon there are many more like that

Much better than when we were picking Nason!