2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

Geepers.

Yeah. Apparently a very deep and intense focus.

Who was your boy playing for a couple of years ago Shad ?
That was back when we had a small local junior league around Castlemaine before it was swallowed up by the Bendigo league. The club was Wesley Hill-Kane Farrell played there as a junior. After they folded we moved to Dusty's original club, Campbell's Creek.

My boys just play for fun though, whereas some of the parents push their kids pretty hard.

Reactions: 2 users
That was back when we had a small local junior league around Castlemaine before it was swallowed up by the Bendigo league. The club was Wesley Hill-Kane Farrell played there as a junior. After they folded we moved to Dusty's original club, Campbell's Creek.

My boys just play for fun though, whereas some of the parents push their kids pretty hard.
Nice.

Kane Farrell. He’s a good kick of the football. Quick as well. He finally got a bit more game time this year at Port. Think he played 15 or 16 games this year.

Reactions: 1 user
I still think we might take a tall in the second round ,l really like Lewis Hayes ,the way he reads the play is really elite ,he puts himself into the intercept position nearly as soon as the balls kicked ,does need to build up,,l still think he could be a good forward .
I reckon if Ezys man Hagan was taller (he's 175cm) they would be saying maybe top 10,his champs were really good,he's playing good football in the WAFL seniors .

I could go on and on about quite a few ,l hope someone late in the 1st round bids on the Davey brothers ,really stitch up the bumbers ,and then you have the lions who will want picks for Ashcroft and Fletcher,it will be a big trade week this year .

Lewis Hayes​

Defender, VIC​

Weight: 81kg
Height: 197cm
Club: Vic Metro/Eastern Ranges/Lysterfield/Rowville Secondary College
2022 National Champs 101 ranking points, 15.7 disposals, 5.3 rebound 50s, 5 marks, 3.7 intercept marks, 7.3 intercept possessions, 1.7 tackles (three games)
A tall intercepting defender, Hayes hit some red-hot form at the right time of year during the national championships. A finger injury on the eve of Round 1 meant he had a slow start to the NAB League season, but AFL clubs had kept a close eye on him over the past two years and were excited by what they saw when Hayes lined up for Vic Metro. The younger brother of Port Adelaide ruckman Sam Hayes, he was particularly impressive against Western Australia in Vic Metro’s second game, when he logged 19 disposals, five marks, eight rebound 50s and six intercepts. Hayes has good endurance, is a strong mark above his head and reads the ball well.

Kobe Ryan​

Midfielder, SA​

Weight: 72kg
Height: 182cm
Club: West Adelaide/Plympton
2022 SANFL U18s 168 ranking points, 30.7 disposals, 13.5 contested possessions, 9.5 score involvements. 2022 National Champs 107 ranking points, 22 disposals, 10 contested possessions, 4.3 clearances
Ryan tallied 21 disposals and two goals in a senior debut West Adelaide coach Brad Gotch described as “special” to confirm his place as one of SA’s premier talents. As a bottom-ager, he ranked third Champion Data ranking points (129) and fifth for disposals (27.9) at under-18 level. This season, he is No. 1 in both key areas. Slightly-built, but smart and tough, Ryan is a genuine all-round midfielder, who is clean at the contest and damaging when he finds space forward of centre, as he showed at national level. Recruiters loves versatility and the well-credentialed teenager has also featured across half-back during a standout junior career. Was a surprise omission from the national combine invite list, but will test in front of recruiters at the SA state combine instead.

Jed Hagan​

Forward/midfielder, WA​

Weight: 73kg
Height: 175cm
Club: East Fremantle/Brigades
2022 National Champs104 ranking points, 17.0 disposals, 5.7 marks, 1.3 goals2022 WAFL85 ranking points, 13.0 disposals, 7.0 score involvements, 1.7 goals
Hagan has excelled at all levels this season, with the diminutive prospect rewarded with a promotion to East Fremantle’s senior side. He has shone in three games for the Royals, finishing with 20 disposals, 12 score involvements, seven tackles, two goals and 117 ranking points on debut. He also slotted three majors along with 12 disposals and six tackles in his third match, and finished with 97 ranking points against Collingwood’s VFL side for the national academy, illustrating that his form stacks up against men. Hagan has a strong footy IQ, uses the ball well by foot and gets in the right spots when up forward. The 174cm prospect was the No.1 ranked player for Western Australia at the national championships.
Your boy Brayden George apparently went down on the weekend with another knee injury. Not sure the extent.

Bloody bad run for the kid.

Your boy Brayden George apparently went down on the weekend with another knee injury. Not sure the extent.

Bloody bad run for the kid.
Yeah he did it in the first quarter ,l think it might of been his first passage of play,he took a mark ,and his knee buckled on landing ,it didn't look good .
I just wonder how much player's like George and Wardlaw pushed themselves to come back too soon .

I guess were he goes in the draft will depend on club medics

Yeah he did it in the first quarter ,l think it might of been his first passage of play,he took a mark ,and his knee buckled on landing ,it didn't look good .
I just wonder how much player's like George and Wardlaw pushed themselves to come back too soon .

I guess were he goes in the draft will depend on club medics
Yeah. Bad luck for both those boys. I wonder how much it might push them back in the Draft, or if at all. The way it’s looking, if the Taranto speculation comes to fruition, then our first pick is going to be NM’s gift to us for CCJ. Those two certainly won’t drift that far, but there’s gonna be some handy players at that mark regardless - notwithstanding any trade up by us. I’m hearing Jackson is gone which will open up a heap of trading action with Grundy at the centre of it if he agrees to move. Might be an opportunity to act as a third party in something. You never know.

Humphrey B. Bear, Barnett, Hollands, Hotton all still within scope at that range regardless.

A lot of wild results in the NAB League this weekend Rebels losing to the Knights being one of them.

So... is Jefferson worth getting? Would he fall as far as our pick? If he did - would we pick him over a mid? But if he were not to be available at our pick - could we package a deal involving our first round pick and other picks / players to get him? I suppose what I'm getting at is - is getting Taranto worth sacrificing the chance to get a really good key position forward prospect?

So... is Jefferson worth getting? Would he fall as far as our pick? If he did - would we pick him over a mid? But if he were not to be available at our pick - could we package a deal involving our first round pick and other picks / players to get him? I suppose what I'm getting at is - is getting Taranto worth sacrificing the chance to get a really good key position forward prospect?
Fair question. Others will comment but me personally, I’d use pick 11-20 on securing Taranto v Jefferson. If it were Cadman (or a few others that would be realistic in rank) that might be a bit different but Jefferson whilst pretty handy, has a very slight frame and is probably a number of years away from making an impact at senior AFL level. Might be a moot point anyway because Jefferson could go top 10 - which I reckon would be paying a little bit overs relevant to others.

Again, just personally, think there’s a bit of overrating of Taranto on the Taranto thread but never the less he’s still good enough, young enough, and would bring a bit to an area we need help in to make it worthwhile.

I think no.

The NAB League has a bizarre finals system/Wild Card roound. Knight (13th) beat GWV Rebels (4th) in the wild card round so now Knights are in finals and GWV are knocked out.

Reactions: 1 users
The NAB League has a bizarre finals system/Wild Card roound. Knight (13th) beat GWV Rebels (4th) in the wild card round so now Knights are in finals and GWV are knocked out.
Sounds like a rubbish system to me

Big upsets. Your Knights creating one of the biggest. Believe Bengal was at the game. Would be good to get a report on the key players. Reading a few articles seems Caddy, Dozzi, Cadman, Bond, Harvey played pretty well.

Cadman really moving up the rankings.

We're getting to the meaty end of the draft period and I love it! So many well formed opinions and knowledge. So much debate. I think the draft threads are my favourite on this site - and some of my favourite reading full stop. Last year's thread was exceptional. Just like our draft. I look forward immensely to reading everyone's chops on the best prospects and who to steer clear of.

I like the draft threads as well but my favourite threads are the premiership winning ones

• Love
Big upsets. Your Knights creating one of the biggest. Believe Bengal was at the game. Would be good to get a report on the key players. Reading a few articles seems Caddy, Dozzi, Cadman, Bond, Harvey played pretty well.

Caddy was the one. Didn't kick well but was clunking everything in the last quarter.

Not a lot to say Red ,Cadman was good as usual,he is very consistent and would be the best KP in the draft .
I hate repeating myself,but Bond has so many attributes for the AFL ,his work rate is elite ,he runs all day ,his tackling and pressure is probably amongst the best if not the best in this year's draft ,again his skills are decent ,nothing outstanding ,if he can develop a outside game ,he could end up the bargain of the draft ,he is very inside .
It was a weird game,the knights came to play ,and the Rebels didn't really get going till the 3rd quarter,their was a bit of a breeze ,and the knights used it better.
A few player's look alright for next year ,Caddy looks good, probably 1st rounder ,Charleson and Lalor for the rebels .
Cooper Harvey looked good for the Knights ,but over all the knights preformed better as a team.

The other game l seen was Falcons and the Jets ,and the jets where really good ,there work ethic as a team was really top notch ,Clark l thought was best on ground ,he is a really good player ,l bet North have him in their discussions on who they pick at one.
Clohesy from the falcons would have to be another mid clubs would be looking at in the 2nd or 3rd rounds,he is a good player,very contested hard type of player ,he is one of those player's who wont die wondering ,played a couple of games for Country at the champs ,and did well.

Petric 196cm forward he stood out for the jets kicked 4 goals and clunked a few decent marks ,it was really hard judging the Jets player's ,it was one of those matches where the whole side really had a decent crack at it .
All in all though ,nothing really changed my mind from a month ago,maybe Clohesy who might be a decent pick up in the second round onwards.

Cadman vrs Jefferson to me their is no comparison Cadman at the moment is a far superior player ,his work rate is far better.
Jefferson has a great leap and is a good mark ,but doesn't do enough of the running chasing tackling pressure stuff,like Red said he will take time,and even then their's no guarantee .

Reactions: 3 users
This is an interesting article written by Ben Waterworth of Fox Sports from a few weeks ago. It references what I mentioned a while ago about Hewett and also perhaps why a couple of people eg Callum Twomey have Szybkowski sliding a bit in their rankings. Waterworth references comments made by recruiters. He also makes a few comments about some other prospects based on recruiter intel eg Hustwaite.

Take it fwiw but it’s rare anyone writes off the back of direct discussion with recruiters.

In the case of Hewett I know the issue was a lack of professionalism and team ethic. Put on a few pounds over the weeks of the carnival. There was a veiled reference to it as well in the coverage of one of the WA games too. In the case of Szybkowski not sure, but I suspect it’s a perceived lack of pace and being a bit inconsistent by foot.

Highly doubt either of these two would slide to pick around 20 (where we seem to be tracking with our first pick) but then again despite everyone knowing Sonsie would slide last year, not sure too many thought that he’d slide all the way to 28 so anything’s possible I guess.

Could we luck-in again in 2022 ? !

Caddy was the one. Didn't kick well but was clunking everything in the last quarter.
I presume you watched it. If so how did Naish go? Great to see him get a game at the business end being under age and 14 disposals isn’t the worst output.

I presume you watched it. If so how did Naish go? Great to see him get a game at the business end being under age and 14 disposals isn’t the worst output.
Only watched online Stew. So apologies but couldn't make out who some of the kids were.

To be totally honest ,and putting all the f/s sentiment aside ,he does have a fair bit of work to go,he is quite a outside type,his skills are good,and quite good overhead ,but unless he improves his contested ball work ,and tackling pressure etc ,he will end up Paddy Naish mrk 2.

Richmond lm sure will give him lot's of feed back ,and you would expect him to build up his body strength over the summer .