2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Yeah 2 matches in Ballarat on each day Sat/sun,lm only going Saturday.
Cadman is good ,he doesn't just kick goals,he gets other's involved and his work rate is really good ,and consistent.,l wouldn't be surprised to see him go as early as pick 2,,Ashcroft no 1.
Hugh Bond l have liked all year,he has elite endurance ,his work rate in tackling and pressure is excellent ,his skills are decent ,probably needs to develop a outside game .

Fogarty is 198cm and skinny ,he does get around the ground well,and his skills are good,but if a AFL club took him ,you would be looking at least 2 years development in the vfl ,while he builds up,and finds his right position,he is strong overhead .
Sinnott will be top age come draft time,,his foot skills are really good ,and is composed with the ball,also endurance is very good ,BUT is too outside for me .

Van Es 197cm 96 kg rock solid back man ,he is good over head ,his skills are decent ,and quite good at ground level ,l believe a few clubs have interviewed him at home ,so he looks like he will be drafted ,has a bit of hardness about him,l wouldn't mind him at the Tiges,he doesn't look like being that run off CHB type ,more your Astbury gorilla tamer type.

Ballantyne and Molan have had a good year when playing Nab cup,but not dominant , both are top age,so maybe late picks or rookies
Awesome. Very good information there.

If the Taranto thing comes together you’d have to expect we’re edging towards 2nd round pick ups and onwards only this year and one or two of those guys might come under consideration.

Reactions: 1 users

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
Awesome. Very good information there.

If the Taranto thing comes together you’d have to expect we’re edging towards 2nd round pick ups and onwards only this year and one or two of those guys might come under consideration.
I would like another second rounder to be honest,there is going to be quite a few decent player's left in the second and third rounds.

Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I would like another second rounder to be honest,there is going to be quite a few decent player's left in the second and third rounds.
I was thinking that a few weeks ago. The Draft sort of looks flat - not in a down way - but "even" I guess is the better word. There's guys like Binns, Long, Hagan and any number of others that are quite interesting. I even read today Szybowski slipping out of the top 20 ! Doubt it but would be great for us if he did.

A name that keeps coming up when I'm talking to people is Olli Hotton. If it weren't for his size (181) they reckon he'd be top 10 easy. Another is Jack O'Sullivan at Oakleigh/Xavier. Lot of injuries and again, size counts against him (177). Generally plays mid with Xavier but he can play small forward very effectively and is tough, and skilled. Xavier coaches love him (as they all do I guess). He plays for VC despite playing with the Chargers because he's from Kyneton.

And finally, another I keep hearing about from people regionally, is Hollands. Just does not stop working during a game. You saw that during the Championships. Lot more dedicated than his brother (thankfully). Runs both ways. Big tank. Good contested ball winner. I hear we have spoken to him a few times but again, if we don't have a first rounder its hard to see us getting to him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
I was thinking that a few weeks ago. The Draft sort of looks flat - not in a down way - but "even" I guess is the better word. There's guys like Binns, Long, Hagen and any number of others that are quite interesting. I even read today Szybowski slipping out of the top 20 ! Doubt it but would be great for us if he did.

A name that keeps coming up when I'm talking to people is Olli Hotton. If it weren't for his size (181) they reckon he'd be top 10 easy. Another is Jack O'Sullivan at Oakleigh/Xavier. Lot of injuries and again, size counts against him (177). Generally plays mid with Xavier but he can play small forward very effectively and is tough, and skilled. Xavier coaches love him (as they all do I guess). He plays for VC despite playing with the Chargers because he's from Kyneton.

And finally, another I keep hearing about from people regionally, is Hollands. Just does not stop working during a game. You saw that during the Championships. Lot more dedicated than his brother (thankfully). Runs both ways. Big tank. Good contested ball winner. I hear we have spoken to him a few times abut again, if we don't have a first rounder its hard to see us getting to him.
I still think we might take a tall in the second round ,l really like Lewis Hayes ,the way he reads the play is really elite ,he puts himself into the intercept position nearly as soon as the balls kicked ,does need to build up,,l still think he could be a good forward .
I reckon if Ezys man Hagan was taller (he's 175cm) they would be saying maybe top 10,his champs were really good,he's playing good football in the WAFL seniors .

I could go on and on about quite a few ,l hope someone late in the 1st round bids on the Davey brothers ,really stitch up the bumbers ,and then you have the lions who will want picks for Ashcroft and Fletcher,it will be a big trade week this year .

Lewis Hayes​

Defender, VIC​

Weight: 81kg
Height: 197cm
Club: Vic Metro/Eastern Ranges/Lysterfield/Rowville Secondary College
2022 National Champs 101 ranking points, 15.7 disposals, 5.3 rebound 50s, 5 marks, 3.7 intercept marks, 7.3 intercept possessions, 1.7 tackles (three games)
A tall intercepting defender, Hayes hit some red-hot form at the right time of year during the national championships. A finger injury on the eve of Round 1 meant he had a slow start to the NAB League season, but AFL clubs had kept a close eye on him over the past two years and were excited by what they saw when Hayes lined up for Vic Metro. The younger brother of Port Adelaide ruckman Sam Hayes, he was particularly impressive against Western Australia in Vic Metro’s second game, when he logged 19 disposals, five marks, eight rebound 50s and six intercepts. Hayes has good endurance, is a strong mark above his head and reads the ball well.

Kobe Ryan​

Midfielder, SA​

Weight: 72kg
Height: 182cm
Club: West Adelaide/Plympton
2022 SANFL U18s 168 ranking points, 30.7 disposals, 13.5 contested possessions, 9.5 score involvements. 2022 National Champs 107 ranking points, 22 disposals, 10 contested possessions, 4.3 clearances
Ryan tallied 21 disposals and two goals in a senior debut West Adelaide coach Brad Gotch described as “special” to confirm his place as one of SA’s premier talents. As a bottom-ager, he ranked third Champion Data ranking points (129) and fifth for disposals (27.9) at under-18 level. This season, he is No. 1 in both key areas. Slightly-built, but smart and tough, Ryan is a genuine all-round midfielder, who is clean at the contest and damaging when he finds space forward of centre, as he showed at national level. Recruiters loves versatility and the well-credentialed teenager has also featured across half-back during a standout junior career. Was a surprise omission from the national combine invite list, but will test in front of recruiters at the SA state combine instead.

Jed Hagan​

Forward/midfielder, WA​

Weight: 73kg
Height: 175cm
Club: East Fremantle/Brigades
2022 National Champs104 ranking points, 17.0 disposals, 5.7 marks, 1.3 goals2022 WAFL85 ranking points, 13.0 disposals, 7.0 score involvements, 1.7 goals
Hagan has excelled at all levels this season, with the diminutive prospect rewarded with a promotion to East Fremantle’s senior side. He has shone in three games for the Royals, finishing with 20 disposals, 12 score involvements, seven tackles, two goals and 117 ranking points on debut. He also slotted three majors along with 12 disposals and six tackles in his third match, and finished with 97 ranking points against Collingwood’s VFL side for the national academy, illustrating that his form stacks up against men. Hagan has a strong footy IQ, uses the ball well by foot and gets in the right spots when up forward. The 174cm prospect was the No.1 ranked player for Western Australia at the national championships.

Reactions: 2 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I have a vested interest in Northern Knights players but i don't think they will get anyone drafted other than Cooper Harvey as a Father-Son to North.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I have a vested interest in Northern Knights players but i don't think they will get anyone drafted other than Cooper Harvey as a Father-Son to North.
Darcy Edmends a possibility. Nate Caddy next year 100%.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Darcy Edmends a possibility. Nate Caddy next year 100%.
I saw Edmunds has been asked to State combine and was touted as being picked up but his form has dropped off.

Jason McCormick is the other possibility but didn't get an invite.

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
I saw Edmunds has been asked to State combine and was touted as being picked up but his form has dropped off.

Jason McCormick is the other possibility but didn't get an invite.
Edmunds is alright ,probably a bit too outside,he does read the play well though.

Cooper O'Reilly

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 5, 2021
I was thinking that a few weeks ago. The Draft sort of looks flat - not in a down way - but "even" I guess is the better word. There's guys like Binns, Long, Hagan and any number of others that are quite interesting. I even read today Szybowski slipping out of the top 20 ! Doubt it but would be great for us if he did.

And finally, another I keep hearing about from people regionally, is Hollands. Just does not stop working during a game. You saw that during the Championships. Lot more dedicated than his brother (thankfully). Runs both ways. Big tank. Good contested ball winner. I hear we have spoken to him a few times but again, if we don't have a first rounder its hard to see us getting to him.
My wife’s boss is the Vice President of the Kyneton FC and he rave's about O’Sullivan. He certainly has a reputation as tough competitor

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
My wife’s boss is the Vice President of the Kyneton FC and he rave's about O’Sullivan. He certainly has a reputation as tough competitor
Yeah Cooper. I was with some Bushranger and Xavier footy people (inc players) a couple of Saturdays ago and they all rated him pretty well. You’d expect the Xavs guys to, but so too did the Bushies. They said he was also a good kid, very professional, well liked.

I’ve seen a little bit of him, but not enough to be honest. Plenty of games to get through…

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
To those that watch the kids more than I do, whats happened to Lemmey this year? Just playing poorly or is he not that good. Seems to be dropping like a stone in most peoples ratings. Some don't have him going in the first 2 rounds now.

Also, thoughts on Adam D'aloia? Is he the type we need, the videos I've seen of him seem to see him around the contest handballing a lot and look good. Gets a lot of it too.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
To those that watch the kids more than I do, whats happened to Lemmey this year? Just playing poorly or is he not that good. Seems to be dropping like a stone in most peoples ratings. Some don't have him going in the first 2 rounds now.

Also, thoughts on Adam D'aloia? Is he the type we need, the videos I've seen of him seem to see him around the contest handballing a lot and look good. Gets a lot of it too.
Well, Lemmey is the $64m dollar question I suppose. Yep, had a great under age year in 2021 but as you probably saw, a really poor Championships this year. He sort of went ok at SANFL U/18 level for Wests this year but that was off the back of moving him into defence where he’s played ok as an interceptor/CHB type role. I’m actually watching a Wests game now and yeah, you can see why the Rookie Me guys question his contested ability and competitiveness. Lot of talent though.

I’m not that big on D’Aloia. Yeah he can rack them up - especially around stoppages- but he’s really poor athletically and I think that might catch up with him in an AFL system. He has a really awkward, hipsy sort of gait and I seem to recall reading or hearing somewhere that he’s had some leg or back injuries or something. He’s a bit on the slow side and he handballs a lot because he’s not exactly a great kick. But to be fair to him he’s getting it under pressure more often than not. Clearance beast. Might suit a particular club’s game style ie one that likes a lot of stoppages and slower play. You could see him being pretty handy in a 2017-2021 Geelong style of game plan.

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
We're getting to the meaty end of the draft period and I love it! So many well formed opinions and knowledge. So much debate. I think the draft threads are my favourite on this site - and some of my favourite reading full stop. Last year's thread was exceptional. Just like our draft. I look forward immensely to reading everyone's chops on the best prospects and who to steer clear of.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
We're getting to the meaty end of the draft period and I love it! So many well formed opinions and knowledge. So much debate. I think the draft threads are my favourite on this site - and some of my favourite reading full stop. Last year's thread was exceptional. Just like our draft. I look forward immensely to reading everyone's chops on the best prospects and who to steer clear of.
“Chops”. I love that word.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Hewett has been playing in the seniors for Swan Districts, had it 20 times today and kicked a goal.

13. Richmond - Elijah Hewett
A big game performer, Hewett is a strong contested ball winning midfielder who displays power when exiting stoppages. Hewett possesses speed, agility, evasion and is an aerial marking threat. Damaging when he secures the ball forward of centre, At his best, Hewett places kicks out in front of targets inside 50m to lead onto and is a dangerous finisher around goal.

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
Another is Jack O'Sullivan at Oakleigh/Xavier. Lot of injuries and again, size counts against him (177). Generally plays mid with Xavier but he can play small forward very effectively and is tough, and skilled. Xavier coaches love him (as they all do I guess). He plays for VC despite playing with the Chargers because he's from Kyneton.
His older brother cost my son a flag in juniors a fair few years ago. He was an unbelievable runner at a young age. A very strong footy family.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
His older brother cost my son a flag in juniors a fair few years ago. He was an unbelievable runner at a young age. A very strong footy family.
So I believe Shad. Apparently Jack is very ‘intense’ about his footy.

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
So I believe Shad. Apparently Jack is very ‘intense’ about his footy.
Someone told me his brother ran a 15k in 70 minutes-as a 11/12 year old. Don't know if it was true or not, but it made sense after watching him play. Intense is a correct description I reckon.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Someone told me his brother ran a 15k in 70 minutes-as a 11/12 year old. Don't know if it was true or not, but it made sense after watching him play. Intense is a correct description I reckon.
Geepers.

Yeah. Apparently a very deep and intense focus.

Who was your boy playing for a couple of years ago Shad ?