2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

Pick 13 (Richmond): Mitch Szybkowski, midfielder

Have fun pronouncing this one, BT!

When Tom Mitchell trade rumours circulated in 2020 and 2021, Richmond were telling the world they wanted a workhorse midfielder who in the next generation can find the ball, can feed the ball to the likes of Shai Bolton and be ultra consistent.

AFL-generic

(Photo by Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images)
Well, that’s what you’re getting from the Caulfield Grammar gun who averaged 26 touches at the Carnival, is averaging around 25 at NAB League and for the incredible Caulfield Grammar side, is continually in their best.

An elite fit for an elite footy club.

Reactions: 1 users
Cadman at 5. That shipped has sailed for us.

Tsatas at 3. I need to watch more footage of Tsatas, I’m not huge on him.

Phillipou is coming into our frame, I’m a huge fan.

Cadman at 5. That shipped has sailed for us.

Tsatas at 3. I need to watch more footage of Tsatas, I’m not huge on him.

Phillipou is coming into our frame, I’m a huge fan.
Humphrey B. Bear is the one. But he is bolting up the charts.

Reactions: 1 user
I've watched a fair bit of elite u18 footy this year, the Nat champs, NAB league, northern academy games. A strong theme for me is a lot of players seem to be leaving their run very late. Improving dramatically as the season gets to the closing stages. I haven't watched that much in previous years so I can't really compare, but this would be explained by 2 wasted and/or truncated seasons due to covid. This seems less so for the small elite top 10/20 cohort, but even then, I reckon there will be more top 10/ 20 standard picks outside the top 10/ 20 due to interrupted development effecting some players more than others, and some players not being effected and looking better than they are.

Maybe the champs should have been delayed a couple of months this season? On the one hand I guess all the players are dealt the same hand, cream rises to the top, but on the other, it's a difficult year for recruiters. A lot of extra variables and considerations in the mix as a result of covid.

Reactions: 2 users
Humphrey B. Bear is the one. But he is bolting up the charts.
I understand you mean Bailey, with a bullet, but you've reminded me of a funny story. It might be well known I dunno. Years ago there was a celebrity charity match at the MCG, well attended, and Humphrey B Bear was on a HFF. Apparently Humphrey's side was getting beat and he hadn't had a touch, which is hardly so very surprising, and a punter screams out 'FFS Humphrey, LIFT". Got a big laugh.

Last edited:
  • Haha
As a kpf or ruck ? Or both ?
As a future star.

Bit of Ryder about him, bit of Buddy. I like him as a forward who can play second ruck.

Loads of talent, fast, skilled, kicks the ball well (and long), great at ground level for such a big lad, and takes a good mark. Massive scope. Tackles like they stole his bike. Could be anything.

Reactions: 2 users
I can see the Ryder but not the Buddy.
Yeah, he’s probably more Ryder. But the pace and the hunting of smalls reminds me of Budwah. Not as mercurial. Plays bigger.

Anyway, I like him. If we got him we wouldn't have to draft another tall for years.

Reactions: 3 users
The NAB League has a bizarre finals system/Wild Card roound. Knight (13th) beat GWV Rebels (4th) in the wild card round so now Knights are in finals and GWV are knocked out.

Super weird

The concept of a ladder and awards when some sides play 4 games and some play 12 is pretty nonsensical too

Cadman screaming up the charts, he's the type of KPF who has a high success rate, total opposite to Lemmey who I've discussed in the other thread. Probably out of reach even if we combine our top 20 picks. But the good news is Sheezel maybe slipping, big upside & could be in the running for the best player in the draft.

As a future star.

Bit of Ryder about him, bit of Buddy. I like him as a forward who can play second ruck.

Loads of talent, fast, skilled, kicks the ball well (and long), great at ground level for such a big lad, and takes a good mark. Massive scope. Tackles like they stole his bike. Could be anything.
I like him to,but at the moment his best position for maximum impact is in the ruck ,he can be very laconic up forward ,and seems more focused playing in the ruck.
Like you say he has a lot of really good attributes for AFL footy ,l wouldn't mind him at the Tiges,but l would be surprised if he got through to the second round .

I do think he's a better player than Jefferson,but he's not better than Lewis Hayes IMO.

I like him to,but at the moment his best position for maximum impact is in the ruck ,he can be very laconic up forward ,and seems more focused playing in the ruck.
Like you say he has a lot of really good attributes for AFL footy ,l wouldn't mind him at the Tiges,but l would be surprised if he got through to the second round .

I do think he's a better player than Jefferson,but he's not better than Lewis Hayes IMO.
I'd be more than happy to take him at pick 18.

I like Hayes but think we're well stocked for young key defenders. This bloke's ceiling is higher, imo.

I'd be more than happy to take him at pick 18.

I like Hayes but think we're well stocked for young key defenders. This bloke's ceiling is higher, imo.
Hayes l reckon could/should play forward ,his reading of the play is really good ,l think it's the best of all Kp player's this year .
He is a strong mark and quite quick for 197cm ,only knock on him is his build he is only 81kg ,but that doesn't seem to effect him against bigger bodies,and he doesn't turn 18 till mid december

What about Jedd Busslinger if he's still on the board for our 1st round pick? That's assuming we don't trade it. Do we take him or the best midfielder?

What about Jedd Busslinger if he's still on the board for our 1st round pick? That's assuming we don't trade it. Do we take him or the best midfielder?
Handy but is a tall defender a priority v mids and a kpf ?

He's a good player,l think he will go in the top 10,l think Cadman and the Gunslinger will be the 2 kp taken before our pick .