2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Are they? Nothing has come from the Pies. Only media.

If your open to listening, Leysy will explain why your theory on targetting Mitchell and Crouch Potato is not aligned (or up with) those currently employed at our club (and nearly, if not all, clubs in the country).

You say Mitchell can deliver what Taranto can next year and keep pumping out stats and such. On just stats he might, but that is only one part of the game. The other is true impact on the scoreboard. Then the other is when your side doesn't have the ball, which you need to watch football to understand.

Transition two-way running is everything now. Richmond, Geelong now, Collingwood, Sydney etc - You can't have purely stoppage to stoppage midfielders in your system. They need to get back and help, then sprint forward and do the same. Hence the Potato and Mitchell are on the outer at their clubs. Conversely Meatball is world class at that balance.

Taranto (and full disclosure would have preferred Dunkley), is an endurance beast. For a big guy he keeps running. Full running numbers are hard to get but in 2021 he averaged 14.36km a game. All our elite runners Graham (14.06) Broad (13.86) Lablett (13.63) Short (13.61) were behind him. Think about that - Leysy has no doubt that was near the number 1 thing that sold Blair and Co's to him.

He's a modern footballer who also has the other massive advantage over Mitchell - size/strength at a stoppage. His physical qualities to block opposition walking out from any type of stoppage is far above Mitchell's.

If the game was played on Footywire Leysy would agree with you BH. But guess what, it ain't.

Leysy's not holding his breathe, but maybe some of that resonates why you're thinking isn't aligned with our (and most) clubs on slow inside mids and is either blinkered, out of date, or both.
That's a very impressive post Leysy but I'm also not sold on his kicking, that is the point I keep ramming home, Mitchell isn't flash either but he doesn't come with a huge price tag in terms of draft picks. If you spend premium picks then you aim for premium kicking skills, particularly with a guy famed for his kick to handball ratio. That is what the stats tell me, it's what my eyes tell me, it may even be uncool at the minute but that is where I derive value when assessing a player's worth.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I could be wrong here but i'd have thought Mitchell is more similar to Hopper than Taranto.

Hopper or Taranto are like Tom Mitchell

In the same kind of way Maurice Rioli junior is like Tom hawkins

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
We might have one pick inside 50 if we are lucky, time to write off this years early picks.

How many rookie picks will we have? That's what we need to start looking at.

Reactions: 2 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
We might have one pick inside 50 if we are lucky, time to write off this years early picks.

If we get GWS's future 3rd, I'm wondering if we trade back in using that pick. Maybe GC's picks 45 and 46 for GWS's future 3rd. Those picks will end up inside 40 by the time the Lions have dealt away all the picks between 30-40 that they have (and I suspect they will get another one off the dogs).

2 picks just inside 40, might get a chance at Binns, Lemmey, Knobel, maybe even Barnett I've seen in some draft analysis potentially dropping to around 40.

Reactions: 2 users

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006

The folks at Rookie Me Central have Lemmey 25-50, that's pretty much how I see things unfolding. Might get lucky but there's a few clubs already sniffing, need to carefully monitor where Port & Adelaide are entering the draft, that may provide some clues as to whether we're in the frame.

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
According to a interview with Anthony Munkara in the Hun,the Tiges are interested in him ,will have to be a pick before 40,unless the Bombers can't match our bid because of theiur f/s selections.

Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
According to a interview with Anthony Munkara in the Hun,the Tiges are interested in him ,will have to be a pick before 40,unless the Bombers can't match our bid because of theiur f/s selections.
Another Brother !

Nice turn of speed. Just the 2 SANFL U/18 games at the start of the year. Kicked 4 off 14 possessions in the first game of the year and 2 off just 8 possessions in the second game of the year.

Lots of different numbers as to his height. Everything from 186 to 190. Go with 188cm.

Tiwi Island boy. Get Daniel and MJ onto it.

Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

Missed champs due to death in close family

• Sad

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
1798A109-0F6E-4D25-B9A9-CB64BE29449C.jpeg

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
He's a talent. Plenty of pundits had him rated in the top-20 early in the year. Might be tough to get him if we don't have a pick in the top 40. Be funny if we get 44 back from GWS and it becomes 39.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
If, as is looking likely we lose Soldo to GWS, picking up another ruckman should be a high priority. We have Ryan and Colina developing, so an experienced, ready to go ruckman we be a good strategy.
A VFL, SANFL or WAFL ruckman would be a good place to recruit one.
South Fremantle ruckman Hamish Free is one we should give serious consideration to. He's 24 and only been playing WAFL footy for 2 years, he has a crack and wont die wondering. He has been competitive against Lloyd Meek.
Probably get him with a rookie pick or a late draft pick, we could do a lot worse.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
He's a talent. Plenty of pundits had him rated in the top-20 early in the year. Might be tough to get him if we don't have a pick in the top 40. Be funny if we get 44 back from GWS and it becomes 39.
This is giving me Shai Bolton vibes.

• Love

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Will Brayden George go down to 40s,50s with him probably missing most 2023
That's a really good shout. If you could get him late, that would be a win.

If somehow we walk away with a Lemmey/George and you might even be able to rookie tall Tom Scully from South Australia that would be a hugggeee offseason of plugging holes now and trying to plug the right ones for the future.