2023 Draft Thread. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2023 Draft Thread.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Is the Reid vs Walter debate similar to the Deledio vs Franklin debate?
Good get. Parallels for sure. Again, my initial point was JW is closing the gap, and its a huge gap. Start of the year Reid number 1, then daylight, JW top 3 or 5. Now, Reid 1, daylight but less so, JW 2, Daylight

Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

I imagine it is.

Reid looks like a JHF bonafide latent star

And JW has Buddy/Richo type athleticism at 18yo.

JW has been AA CHF every year since he was 14.

He has a big body of work, 90% of which ive been watching over a fence.

My only knock when he was 16 was his 2nd efforts and workrate without the ball.

Hes 100% fixed these flaws.

Im repeating myself, because i am so bullish, but hes built like a 23 yo KPF, his acceleration needs to be seen to be believed, the timing of his vertical leap into a pack in relation to the balls trajectory is near perfect, and his selflessness is almost unique at u18 level.

He gets high like Nick Reiwoldt, he accelerates and hits packs like Richo, he leads like matthew lloyd, he stays down and ducks out the back like jack Gunston and he provides ample defensive pressure.

He scores and creates goals in a myriad of ways; hes incredibly multi-dimensional.

Id say the only flaw in his game is his set shot goal kicking, which can be more harry mckay than judson clarke

You cant compare Him to Reid, as you cant compare Lids and Buddy,

But ill say this; hes a significantly better prospect than Cadman,

And if a side like Port (or richmond), who bat pretty deep in the engine room but need a CHF, they seriously could have JW at No.1 if he plays 2/3 more champs games as good as his last month.

In relation to the GCS - there may be a sliver of opportunity to shake Ethan Read out of their orchard with some deft strategy (i dont know how?)

Im not over draft points, but i expect a bid on JW top 3, and Jake Rogers somewhere between 5-15. Im not sure where that would leave GC if say theyve paid 4000-5000 points for the first 2?

I suppose theylle trade their first down for the points, and take Reed with their 2nd rounder?

its a good haul.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
In relation to the GCS - there may be a sliver of opportunity to shake Ethan Read out of their orchard with some deft strategy (i dont know how?)

Im not over draft points, but i expect a bid on JW top 3, and Jake Rogers somewhere between 5-15. Im not sure where that would leave GC if say theyve paid 4000-5000 points for the first 2?

I suppose theylle trade their first down for the points, and take Reed with their 2nd rounder?

its a good haul.
Incredible haul. They'd just go into deficit wouldn't they? I'd be interested to know what is required if say JW no 2 and JR and ER top 20, which could happen.

ATM my money would be on Read top 15 or 20, Rogers top 25 or 30, but that could reverse, one or both could improve or drop right off, a lot of water to flow under the bridge.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
So Gold Coast will have King, Likosius, Walter & Humphries all parading in their forward line come 2024.

Can they give us Chol back?

• Wow

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Incredible haul. They'd just go into deficit wouldn't they? I'd be interested to know what is required if say JW no 2 and JR and ER top 20, which could happen.

ATM my money would be on Read top 15 or 20, Rogers top 25 or 30, but that could reverse, one or both could improve or drop right off, a lot of water to flow under the bridge.

Im getting more and more sold on Rogers and less sold (off a high base) on Reed.

I think Rogers is best described as a quicker dion prestia.

Hes super busy at stoppages - like a jack russel at a rat,

And when he takes off, hes just not getting caught. You almost never see him tackled, and he plays in congestion (not so much on Sunday).

My knock on him last year was decision making and ball use: both seem entirely fixed. He used to try do too much, and could miss targets; now he often puts a teammate in space with a handball and regularly hits Walter on the tit with a searing pass at full pace.

(Edit: my other knock on Rogers, which he hasnt addressed, is the 173/70)

Reed is gifted athletically (runs close to a flat 6min 2km and i think a sub 3s 20m). Hes really agile, great below the knees and clunks the down the line mark.

Having written that, im not sure why i switched draft places with him and Rogers (last year i rated them JW, ER, JR, now jW, JR, ER)? It maybe ive seen Reed competing against some equally athletic rucks this year and hes come back to the pack slightly?

But i think its more a case of JR rising than ER sliding.

All three are bonafide first round prospects, evidenced by their presence and form in the AA Academy, and there prominence in the belting of SA on sunday (16 points doesnt reflect the game, they utterly dominated them in the first half and took the foot off the gas)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
It wouldnt surprise me at all to see Walter playing as a 3rd tall in the seniors next year.
I'd be surprised if he wasn't.

Don't disagree re ER and JR. I'm a fan of both. To me Read, as an agile and athletic 202cm player will have to do a fair bit wrong to slide. And I've always been a fan of Rogers, and his stocks are rising.

I'll shut up about the suns academy now, but it is an insane haul, shaping up to be the best ever academy or FS haul by far.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I'd be surprised if he wasn't.

Don't disagree re ER and JR. I'm a fan of both. To me Read, as an agile and athletic 202cm player will have to do a fair bit wrong to slide. And I've always been a fan of Rogers, and his stocks are rising.

I'll shut up about the suns academy now, but it is an insane haul, shaping up to be the best ever academy or FS haul by far.

Agreed

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
King, Lukosious and Walter is scary.
So is the salary cap
I imagine it is.

Reid looks like a JHF bonafide latent star

And JW has Buddy/Richo type athleticism at 18yo.

JW has been AA CHF every year since he was 14.

He has a big body of work, 90% of which ive been watching over a fence.

My only knock when he was 16 was his 2nd efforts and workrate without the ball.

Hes 100% fixed these flaws.

Im repeating myself, because i am so bullish, but hes built like a 23 yo KPF, his acceleration needs to be seen to be believed, the timing of his vertical leap into a pack in relation to the balls trajectory is near perfect, and his selflessness is almost unique at u18 level.

He gets high like Nick Reiwoldt, he accelerates and hits packs like Richo, he leads like matthew lloyd, he stays down and ducks out the back like jack Gunston and he provides ample defensive pressure.

He scores and creates goals in a myriad of ways; hes incredibly multi-dimensional.

Id say the only flaw in his game is his set shot goal kicking, which can be more harry mckay than judson clarke

You cant compare Him to Reid, as you cant compare Lids and Buddy,

But ill say this; hes a significantly better prospect than Cadman,

And if a side like Port (or richmond), who bat pretty deep in the engine room but need a CHF, they seriously could have JW at No.1 if he plays 2/3 more champs games as good as his last month.

its a good haul.
The difference between Cadman and Walter is,Cadman only started playing as a key forward in his draft year,he grew 6/7 cm over summer.
Walter has been playing as a kp forward for a few year's .

People are saying The Suns will trade there 1st rounder,but if they take all 3 academy player's they are going to need quite a few points,l can see them trading next year's 1st for a extra 1st rounder this year.

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
I hear ya. But even so they'll get 2 or 3 seasons with all three before trading the one they think is least good, or most homesick, which won't be Walter.
Seriously ,l would be as frustrated as hell,being a list manager and coach of GWS and the SUNS,as soon as they show some progress player's leave.
I guess with academy player's ,theirs no go home factor.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Seriously ,l would be as frustrated as hell,being a list manager and coach of GWS and the SUNS,as soon as they show some progress player's leave.
I hear ya. Doesn't seems to happen to us though. Its because in admin terms, they are sheltered workshops, which flows through to culture.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Walter has been playing as a kp forward for a few year's .

Interestingly, and ive watched him play probably 50 games from 14yo - 17 yo and ive never seen him play a minute anywhere but FF or CHF.

Unusual that nobodies ever been curious taking a look at him in the ruck?

Or maybe i was grabbing a pie when he had a 5 min spell?

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

I dont think its geography preventing GCS retaining players.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
No, Reid is better than Lids at same age and Walter is a more known commodity than Bud was at draft time.

Bud had huge question marks about his attitude, his ability to play tall, consistent performance. Turned out everything was wrong but the questions were there and it doesn’t mean Walter will be better than Bud. Not many ever will be.

Walter has no major questions or flaws, it’s can he do it against men? same as all draftees.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
No, Reid is better than Lids at same age and Walter is a more known commodity than Bud was at draft time.

Bud had huge question marks about his attitude, his ability to play tall, consistent performance. Turned out everything was wrong but the questions were there and it doesn’t mean Walter will be better than Bud. Not many ever will be.

Walter has no major questions or flaws, it’s can he do it against men? same as all draftees.
I tend to agree. Unless Reid flops at the champs, which I can't see happening, he's no. 1. When was the last mid that was equal in the gold standard no 1, lay down mezere-type stakes? Judd ability-wise but the busted shoulder made him slide to 3? I can't think of one. There tends to be a factor muddying the water, Kreuzer over Cotchy, Dusty was 'troubled' because he didn't go to Xavier, etc etc.

Has there ever been a hotter favourite for the number 1?

I still reckon if Walter dominates in 2 of his 3 remaining champs games, he'll close the gap, and give cause for thought. A big reason for the Reid hype, which is thoroughly deserved, is dominating on the big stage, the MCG. I've seen JW dominate, but he hasn't done it on a big stage, and that partly and simply because the Allies don't get the big stage.

Last edited:

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I tend to agree. Unless Reid flops at the champs, which I can't see happening, he's no. 1. When was the last mid that was equal in the gold standard no 1, lay down mezere-type stakes? Judd ability-wise but the busted shoulder made him slide to 3? I can't think of one. There tends to be a factor muddying the water, Kreuzer over Cotchy, Dusty was 'troubled' because he didn't go to Xavier, etc etc.

Has there ever been a hotter favourite for the number 1?

Its splitting hairs, but i reckon JHF and Nick Daicos are contempories of HR,

Both in their draft year, and probably as AFL footballers.

That is, all three are barely (judd, buckley?) precedented stars