2024 Richmond Coach | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Richmond Coach

Be interesting to see if Grigga puts his hand up. There was talk of him as a player that he would be a coach one day as he was tactically very astute and it was something he would gravitate towards. At the least he would have a good inside view of Geelong.
Would love to pull (Ruckman :))) Grigga aside and ask what the Salty one really thinks about us. 2020. etc
Off course Grigga would have to agree to a de-salting process before applying.

Reactions: 1 user
Main criteria for our next coach should be someone who’s tasted :cupgold success as a player
More important than past premiership success as a player is choosing someone who will have future premiership success as a coach.

Would love to pull (Ruckman :))) Grigga aside and ask what the Salty one really thinks about us. 2020. etc
Off course Grigga would have to agree to a de-salting process before applying.
Quarantine him here for a week before coming back to PRO1688533115397.png

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Was listening to Bucks on the radio this morning. Very impressed - more than ever before.

He has only ever done Collingwood. Somewhere new may completely unshackle him. Superbly qualified. Was the first time I actually thought, mmm. maybe..

ps. Steve Morris is very, very impressive when he speaks after games
Old mate Figgy talks a good footy game n some nice dry humour at times, but I'm not sure he has the emotional I.Q. that Benny n the admin will be looking for. Figgy got all touchy feely as a coach for a season or so after he saw how well it went for us, but Fly has shown in five minutes at Colonwood how far it goes when it's genuine. Also recall how Harriet Lambada tore strips out of Figgy's *smile* cover ups recently in regard to some of the racism saga at the Pies.
He can stay a media x spurt for mine, don't want him sniffin around the Tiges.

Reactions: 8 users
Old mate Figgy talks a good footy game n some nice dry humour at times, but I'm not sure he has the emotional I.Q. that Benny n the admin will be looking for. Figgy got all touchy feely as a coach for a season or so after he saw how well it went for us, but Fly has shown in five minutes at Colonwood how far it goes when it's genuine. Also recall how Harriet Lambada tore strips out of Figgy's *smile* cover ups recently in regard to some of the racism saga at the Pies.
He tried to go touchy feely. He had the words but not the actions/emotions that told you it was real and not manufactured. Just not the way he is wired and the opposite to how we he grew to be the player he was. Would be a very difficult thing for him to change.

Reactions: 3 users
He tried to go touchy feely. He had the words but not the actions/emotions that told you it was real and not manufactured. Just not the way he is wired and the opposite to how we he grew to be the player he was. Would be a very difficult thing for him to change.
Yeah kinda like when Salty attempted to give us credit in a contrite manner once in a presser.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I like Carr.
Does lines and loves orgies.
Or do I have the spelling wrong?

Last edited:
‘Been down that path’: Tigers’ contender’s honest admission on whether he’d want the top job

Fox Sports
July 8th, 2023

Collingwood assistant coach Justin Leppitsch has seemingly ruled himself out of the running for the vacant Richmond job with a brutally honest take on where he wants his future to go.

Leppitsch joined the Magpies in September 2021 to work under coach Craig McRae, after he was sacked as Brisbane head coach in at the end of 2016 before spending five seasons as an assistant at Richmond.

Speaking on 3AW on Friday, Leppitsch said he’d rather be a second in charge on a “good journey” than be the front man at a struggling club – like he was at the Lions.

“I think I’m in a great position as far as experience in my coaching journey – there’s no doubt about that,” he said.

“I’m 18 years in, I think I’ve experienced as many heartaches and seen the good and bad in footy.

“But whether you want to be a senior coach – that’s such a different thing nowadays.

“I’ve been down that path – I’m actually really happy supporting Craig and supporting this team and this journey.

“One thing I’ve learnt is I’d rather be part of or I guess a background part in a good journey, than the front man of one that’s going to struggle for years.

“I think that would be my preference.”

Leppitsch, a three-time Brisbane premiership star, endured a tough time as Lions coach winning just 14 of his 66 games at the helm.

He led the Lions to a 15th finish in his debut season as coach before back-to-back second-last spots saw the former defender handed his marching orders.

“It was a hard situation back then in terms of just where the club was – he would have had to be a genius coach to get much out of the squad,” 3AW’s Leigh Matthews added.

But while Matthew Lloyd said it was “interesting” to hear Leppitsch talk about rather being “number two in an environment like this than somewhere else”, there was still scope for him to eye off the Richmond job – if the right support was put in place.

“I haven’t heard that too often – AFL coaches I know a very different sport, but similar situation to Formula One drivers. There’s only a certain amount of seats and everyone wants them,” journalist Sam McClure added to the debate.

“Whether it’s with the best team or it’s with the worst team, you want to get in and show people that you can be the best.”

Fox Footy commentator Anthony Hudson agreed Leppitsch’s comments didn’t fully rule him out of the running at Richmond.

“I read into that that if the team is right, it could be Richmond,” he said.

“If you thought you were going to have a team that could have success..”

Leppitsch is reportedly one of a number of contenders in the race to replace Damien Hardwick, including current club caretaker coach Andrew McQualter and the likes of Josh Carr, Shaun Grigg and Hayden Skipworth.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/be...b/news-story/698653d1df9ee53e6a70c41dd45fcbf9

Reactions: 1 user

I think he's a great analyst but I'm not convinced it translates into being able to motivated a diverse group of players. I can listen to him all day long. I think he would probably make an excellent assistant coach, strategist type. But I would his ego get in the way. No way I'd have him as senior coach.

Reactions: 5 users
I like McQualter.... appears a decent sort of fella.
I worry he could be like Justin Longmuir, where it looks like the tail's waggin the dog over in the west.

Most of the best, and therefore successful coaches, have a ferocious streak.... with the ability to deliver a spray as required
ie.. Dimma, Clarkson, Matthews, Sheedy, Malthouse, Choco and even old salty Scott too.

I know we're in the age of cuddling each other these days, but I still think players respond to a foot up the arse when required!
Just can't see it in Mini.

That said.....in Benny and Balmey I trust!

Reactions: 7 users
The Lovett court trial also paints a good picture of mini and not putting up with trash