A-League threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

A-League threads [Merged]

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Ian4 said:
I'll put my hand up and say he should have been retired at the end of the season, but we'd be stuffed if he did. He's the ultimate club man.

Appears to be incredibly durable too - a few seasons ago he was mostly not getting a game or coming off the bench early in the season. Now he's getting on he may start playing that more restricted role again, but for now he just keeps doing his job.

Toivanen is one goal behind in the Golden Boot race despite not playing in the four first games in the season, and then coming off the bench for a few games. Amazing player.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
So Western Melbourne have made their first signing... Greek international Panagiotis Kone.

and on Sunday the voting for name and colours opens. these are the rumoured 5 names to vote for:
Western Melbourne Athletic FC
Western Athletic FC
Western Melbourne Warriors FC
Westside Pride FC
Western United FC

personally, i think they're all sh!t and Western Athletic FC is the best of a bad lot. Westside Pride FC is exceptionally cringeworthy... I can definitely imagine this winning by being hijacked.

JoMamma

Tiger Rookie
Oct 4, 2004
Ian4 said:
So Western Melbourne have made their first signing... Greek international Panagiotis Kone.

and on Sunday the voting for name and colours opens. these are the rumoured 5 names to vote for:
Western Athletic FC
Westside Pride FC
Western United FC

personally, i think they're all sh!t and Western Athletic FC is the best of a bad lot. Westside Pride FC is exceptionally cringeworthy... I can definitely imagine this winning by being hijacked.

A club without a home ground and home base.

They should be called the nomads. They'll forever be on the move...

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Ian4 said:

Western Athletic FC
Westside Pride FC
Western United FC

Yeah westside pride sux. They're all meh. westside window wipers would be better

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
JoMamma said:
A club without a home ground and home base.

They should be called the nomads. They'll forever be on the move...

Ummm... no they won't

antman said:
Surely Marcus Babel has to go as coach of WSW- just copped 5 against Newcastle.

WSW are just hangin on by a thread in anticipation of the new Parramatta Stadium. My gut feel is that Babel will stay, but the playing squad will be heavily turned over. But they'd just be polishing a *smile*. They have some engrained cultural issues at that club.

JoMamma

Tiger Rookie
Oct 4, 2004
Ian4 said:
Ummm... no they won't

No agreement with Kardinia Park Trust.

Kardinia Park Trust saying they have no hope of playing
all home games there.

$150-$200 Million of ‘private’ money from ‘somebody’ who will
build a stadium that will play host to 13-15 home games? Really?

Why haven’t these ‘backers’ been revealed?

Where is the return on investment/economic benefit
for ‘somebody’ building a $150 million stadium?
Nobody will invest that amount of money on
a projection of 15 home games a year.

It’s a flawed model. Approved by a corrupt organisation whose
sole objective was to accept the bid offering the most
amount of money.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
JoMamma said:
No agreement with Kardinia Park Trust.

Kardinia Park Trust saying they have no hope of playing
all home games there.

How many events are there at Kardinia Park between October and May? 1 x Victory home game. 2 x BBL games. Roughly 3 x AWFL games and roughly 3-4 AFL games. At most that is 10 events over a 6-7 month period. And you're telling me they cant find room for roughy 10 more events per season for 2 years? What planet are you on? How many events do Marvel and the MCG hold annually?

JoMamma said:
$150-$200 Million of ‘private’ money from ‘somebody’ who will
build a stadium that will play host to 13-15 home games? Really?

Why haven’t these ‘backers’ been revealed?

Where is the return on investment/economic benefit
for ‘somebody’ building a $150 million stadium?
Nobody will invest that amount of money on
a projection of 15 home games a year.

They have invested this money and they will spend it. It won't be just a Football ground, but training ground and academy and home base of the Matilda's and a full on entertainment precinct.

Yes the backers have chosen to remain in the dark, but they are all Australian, many of which are from the region and understand the demographic.

JoMamma said:
It’s a flawed model. Approved by a corrupt organisation whose
sole objective was to accept the bid offering the most
amount of money.

Its based on the MLS model which is hugely successful. And its my understanding there are other consortiums interested in following suit.

I so admit that money was a major factor in choosing the next 2 expansion sides, but it had to be as the league is in desperate need of a injection of money.

JoMamma

Tiger Rookie
Oct 4, 2004
Ian4 said:
How many events are there at Kardinia Park between October and May? 1 x Victory home game. 2 x BBL games. Roughly 3 x AWFL games and roughly 3-4 AFL games. At most that is 10 events over a 6-7 month period. And you're telling me they cant find room for roughy 10 more events per season for 2 years? What planet are you on? How many events do Marvel and the MCG hold annually

Go and read an article dated 31/1 on The Age website regarding this very topic.

Unlike you and the rest of this MV/WMG circle jerk, I’m firmly planted in reality.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
For me awarding a licence to another team in Melbourne made no sense. City/Heart have always struggled and the Victory supporters are pretty entrenched so not sure how well the new team will be supported and make only take some City/Heart supporters away. JM makes some valid points and it seems that FFA simply awarded the licences to those that gave them the most money in the short term.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
The Roar 3 nil up, concede a goal in injury time in the 1st half against Adelaide who were a man down.
The Roar had 2 players sent off in the 2nd half and lose 4/3 after conceding a goal in the 6th minute of injury time.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
jb03 said:
For me awarding a licence to another team in Melbourne made no sense. City/Heart have always struggled and the Victory supporters are pretty entrenched so not sure how well the new team will be supported and make only take some City/Heart supporters away. JM makes some valid points and it seems that FFA simply awarded the licences to those that gave them the most money in the short term.

Nah don't agree. The A league has become stale and needs more teams in general. It needs to target melbournes west, north and south east with smaller boutique stadiums being built there. City/heart needs to build itself a 15k stadium in the north.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Harry said:
Nah don't agree. The A league has become stale and needs more teams in general. It needs to target melbournes west, north and south east with smaller boutique stadiums being built there. City/heart needs to build itself a 15k stadium in the north.

Ok fair enough H.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Ian4 said:

Western Athletic FC
Westside Pride FC
Western United FC

68% voted for a name other than those nominated - not surprising. 73% voted for the color green.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
JoMamma said:
Go and read an article dated 31/1 on The Age website regarding this very topic.

Unlike you and the rest of this MV/WMG circle jerk, I’m firmly planted in reality.

post the article you're referring to then and I'll respond. either way, i stand by everything I have said about this team.

jb03 said:

actually it makes pefect sense.
- Melbourne's west will grow by 3 times more in the next 20 years than the entire current population of canberra (which was the location pushed by many people and almost certainly next in line).
- The west is geographically different to Victory and City. don't forget that in the long term when the second division starts, Melbourne will probably need to cater for another 2-3 teams.
- A-League teams are playing in multi-sports stadiums where they are treated as second class citizens and play on sub-standard pitches, while other sports (especially NRL) take priority. building a Football Specific stadium is a national first and the template for the future of the A-League IMO.
- in the fine print of the TV rights deal, it includes an extra $5 million per year if the next 2 teams are from Melbourne and Sydney.

They are the main ones, but there are others.

tigerman said:
The Roar 3 nil up, concede a goal in injury time in the 1st half against Adelaide who were a man down.
The Roar had 2 players sent off in the 2nd half and lose 4/3 after conceding a goal in the 6th minute of injury time.

what an insane game that was. there have been a few come from behind wins this season, but Adelaide v Brisbane was one out of the box.

Harry said:
68% voted for a name other than those nominated - not surprising. 73% voted for the color green.

in hindsight you'd think they are fishing for ideas from the fans, hence the "other option." I'm not massively surprised by green being popular as the team's primary colour, but I thought black would win. they still might of course... i don't think there is a set date for the close of the poll.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
I would go for green and white hoops and something simple like West Melbourne Bulls or West Melbourne Lions.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Harry said:
I would go for green and white hoops and something simple like West Melbourne Bulls or West Melbourne Lions.

hoops might appeal to Geelong residents i guess, but i don't think its very original. Westgate Diggers has always been my preferece. Westgate as it is the road that leads to the west, Geelong and Ballarat (which is their target fan base) and Diggers due to its historical reference to the Eureka Stockade.

JoMamma

Tiger Rookie
Oct 4, 2004
Ian4 said:
post the article you're referring to then and I'll respond. either way, i stand by everything I have said about this team.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/western-melbourne-s-kardinia-park-plans-uncertain-20190131-p50uwe.html