A-League threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

A-League threads [Merged]

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
So the new A-League season starts tonight with the GF replay. I’m hearing Western United have sold out their Active Bay… which isn’t anything to be excited about for most teams, but it’s probably a big thing for them… maybe some green shoots after winning the toilet seat.

I’m flying up to Sydney tomorrow to see the new Allianz stadium where 30,000 tickets have been sold (including over 1,000 Victory).

It feels like there is a lot more enthusiasm going into the new season. A lot more promotion and marketing (TV ads during the NRL GF for example). A slick season launch. More interactive stuff on the KeepUp App. Certainty around the fixture. The Men’s and Women’s World Cup around the corner.

The APL is targeting a 10,000 crowd average this season (up from 5,300 during the COVID interrupted 2021-22 season). Personally, I think that’s too ambitious, and it’ll be closer to the 9,000 mark.

Probably the most disappointing stuff is coming from the broadcaster. Paramount Plus are yet to bring in the Pause and “Play from Start” function. Subscription discount codes weren’t released until this week. And the jury is still out on the change of FTA broadcasting (we have gone from 1 game on the main channel Saturday night to 2 games on 10Bold, while the women’s have moved to 10Play).

From a Victory point of view, we have signed Nani. Big names have come to Australia in the past and haven’t always been committed. But Nani arrived early, played in the Australia Cup and played preseason games at places such as North Geelong and Avondale.

On the park, many people will consider us favourites to win the league. I think we’re stronger offensively, but maybe slightly weakener defensively. Personally, I’m expecting a top 2 finish.

Off the park, a company called 777 Partners have bought a stake in the club. They part own numerous clubs around the world as well as non-sporting business interests. They also own Bonza Airline, who is now our major sponsor (our biggest sponsorship deal ever apparently). So the club has received financial investment, but still is (and hopefully always will be) majority Australian owned.

On the negative, the club didn’t release its home kit until this week… and I think its terrible. The away kit hasn’t been released yet (although we know we are returning to the fluoro yellow).

My predictions:
1. Victory (Most of the squad have been together for 12 months. Should improve with Nani).
2. WSW (Surely this year?).
3. City (Haven’t really improved their squad greatly but will still be up there).
4. Adelaide (Pretty consistent team).
5. Wellington (Well coached team).
6. Western United (Potential championship hangover coming).
7. MacArthur (will be in the fight for bottom half of finals).
8. CCM (See MacArthur).
9. Sydney (Long needed rejuvenation of squad, but the signings don’t seem that exciting).
10. Newcastle (Could be surprise packets. Probably won’t be).
11. Brisbane (Austin should boss this league, but will he get the service?).
12. Perth (In a state of dog5hit).

Reactions: 1 user

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
So the new A-League season starts tonight with the GF replay. I’m hearing Western United have sold out their Active Bay… which isn’t anything to be excited about for most teams, but it’s probably a big thing for them… maybe some green shoots after winning the toilet seat.

I’m flying up to Sydney tomorrow to see the new Allianz stadium where 30,000 tickets have been sold (including over 1,000 Victory).

It feels like there is a lot more enthusiasm going into the new season. A lot more promotion and marketing (TV ads during the NRL GF for example). A slick season launch. More interactive stuff on the KeepUp App. Certainty around the fixture. The Men’s and Women’s World Cup around the corner.

The APL is targeting a 10,000 crowd average this season (up from 5,300 during the COVID interrupted 2021-22 season). Personally, I think that’s too ambitious, and it’ll be closer to the 9,000 mark.

Probably the most disappointing stuff is coming from the broadcaster. Paramount Plus are yet to bring in the Pause and “Play from Start” function. Subscription discount codes weren’t released until this week. And the jury is still out on the change of FTA broadcasting (we have gone from 1 game on the main channel Saturday night to 2 games on 10Bold, while the women’s have moved to 10Play).

From a Victory point of view, we have signed Nani. Big names have come to Australia in the past and haven’t always been committed. But Nani arrived early, played in the Australia Cup and played preseason games at places such as North Geelong and Avondale.

On the park, many people will consider us favourites to win the league. I think we’re stronger offensively, but maybe slightly weakener defensively. Personally, I’m expecting a top 2 finish.

Off the park, a company called 777 Partners have bought a stake in the club. They part own numerous clubs around the world as well as non-sporting business interests. They also own Bonza Airline, who is now our major sponsor (our biggest sponsorship deal ever apparently). So the club has received financial investment, but still is (and hopefully always will be) majority Australian owned.

On the negative, the club didn’t release its home kit until this week… and I think its terrible. The away kit hasn’t been released yet (although we know we are returning to the fluoro yellow).

My predictions:
1. Victory (Most of the squad have been together for 12 months. Should improve with Nani).
2. WSW (Surely this year?).
3. City (Haven’t really improved their squad greatly but will still be up there).
4. Adelaide (Pretty consistent team).
5. Wellington (Well coached team).
6. Western United (Potential championship hangover coming).
7. MacArthur (will be in the fight for bottom half of finals).
8. CCM (See MacArthur).
9. Sydney (Long needed rejuvenation of squad, but the signings don’t seem that exciting).
10. Newcastle (Could be surprise packets. Probably won’t be).
11. Brisbane (Austin should boss this league, but will he get the service?).
12. Perth (In a state of dog5hit).
What has happened to Perth?

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Great trip to Sydney. But as always, Sydney fans didn’t turn up because of rain.

The new Allianz stadium is brilliant except for one thing… the acoustics are terrible. AAMI Park 5hits all over it.

What has happened to Perth?

The main issue is that there have been delays in renovations to their home ground in preparation for the women’s world cup and they’ll be playing most of the season out of an NPL ground that’s holds about 5,000 (with temporary grandstands). They have refunded all memberships, forcing everyone to buy tix for every game.

Then you add the fact that they have an inexperienced coach and an average playing squad. They are destined for last.

• Love

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Great trip to Sydney. But as always, Sydney fans didn’t turn up because of rain.

The new Allianz stadium is brilliant except for one thing… the acoustics are terrible. AAMI Park 5hits all over it.

The main issue is that there have been delays in renovations to their home ground in preparation for the women’s world cup and they’ll be playing most of the season out of an NPL ground that’s holds about 5,000 (with temporary grandstands). They have refunded all memberships, forcing everyone to buy tix for every game.

Then you add the fact that they have an inexperienced coach and an average playing squad. They are destined for last.
Considering all the rain the pitch was in amazing condition.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I highly recommend A-League All Access. It’s a behind the scenes weekly doco. Week 1 was Nani. Week 2 was Charlie Austin. The Charlie Austin was a real eye opener and brilliant. It was raw and passionate. No editing. Great production.

I honestly believe its award-winning TV.

If you wanna watch it, its on 10Play, Paramount Plus, YouTube and the KeepUp App.

FYI, Derby tomorrow night. Limited tickets left. It looks like it we’re heading for a record crowd at AAMI Park for a home and away game.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
So any momentum or good will resulting from the world cup evaporated today with the announcement that Sydney will host the A-League GF for the next 3 years. This is the worst decision ever made in the history of the A-League and the socials are going ballistic. Another own goal for the domestic game, and it’s so depressing. This really could be the final nail in the coffin. Expect protests and boycotts to come. And I’ll be front and centre.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
So any momentum or good will resulting from the world cup evaporated today with the announcement that Sydney will host the A-League GF for the next 3 years. This is the worst decision ever made in the history of the A-League and the socials are going ballistic. Another own goal for the domestic game, and it’s so depressing. This really could be the final nail in the coffin. Expect protests and boycotts to come. And I’ll be front and centre.
I laughed when I heard this. Those running this competition have NFI.

They refuse to look at the clubs who have the facilities and supporter base due ‘ethnic’ backgrounds. So they proceed with adding clubs who are soulless.

Now they bring in this rubbish. If the A League wasn’t already dead it now is.

Reactions: 1 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Victory and City fans are walking out at 20 minutes on Saturday night. I think Townsend and the APL thought we would be angry for a few days then it'll blow over. it won't. They have no choice but to overturn this decision or destroy the game.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Nice puff piece on KeepUp:

They failed to mention the $$$. Somewhere suggested an 8 figure sum- so at least $10M.

Maybe the best thing would be a City v Victory GF in front of 5k.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Nice puff piece on KeepUp:

They failed to mention the $$$. Somewhere suggested an 8 figure sum- so at least $10M.

Maybe the best thing would be a City v Victory GF in front of 5k.

You should have seen the KeepUp interview with Danny Townsend yesterday. The spin coming out of the APL is cringe… Scott Morrison chicken curry-type cringe.

When asked about the prospect of the highest placed team missing out on hosting the grand final his response was “They can still choose which change rooms they wanna utilise and which end their fans sit.”

I’m not joking, he actually said that.

Its more than $10 million BTW. I’m hearing at least $15 million. Personally, I wouldn’t care if its $100 million. No dollar amount is acceptable.

• Angry
Reactions: 2 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
The APL have called an emergency board meeting. So they will either double down and destroy the league, or we will win.

I actually wonder if Melbourne Victory have instigated this, because we have been brutal on our club for being complicit in this.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Gee Carlton Victory supporters can really whinge when they wish to

Get educated before commenting mate. This is the single worst decision ever made in 18 years of A-League. And we are not the only ones angry. City fans are walking about with us on Saturday. City, Sydney FC. WSW, Adelaide United and Western United fan groups have all criticised this. Wellington fans have also hinted at a wlk out this weekend.

Have a read of the brilliant OSM post today. It might give you a batter understanding of the mood of the fanbase:

"***OSM Announcement***
- Part 3

We demand answers from Melbourne Victory, today. No excuses.

What was Di Pietro's vote as the APL representative from our club on this matter?

There is currently unanimous support across our supporter base on the opinion which OSM has made public.

You have backed us strongly for over 3 years now. We have appreciated this highly. But it all counts for nothing if you do not back your supporters on this issue. This is a different level of anger, and a different level of disrespect.

The fanbase has spoken. You must back your most loyal. There is no other option. Without us there is no club. There is not a member at this club who would seriously support this decision.

A direct statement condemning the decision by the APL, and the ways in which Melbourne Victory will fight against this move, is the requirement for the continuing of positive relations. We cannot stress the importance of this point.

Silence will be considered collusion and won't be forgotten.

We're not looking for a response that's sitting on the fence either like yesterday. You are either with us, or against us. The truth will set you free.

This decision strikes at the heart of the integrity of our game. There is no alternative. This cannot continue. Otherwise, the walkout on Saturday will only be the beginning.

Support your supporters. You need to take action against this decision, or you will be known as the administration that sold the finals to Sydney, and put the terrace into boycott.

On another note, what player is going to be all good with getting the home final incentive stolen from their own hard work? That's one way to make yourself a fan favourite. Make it public like others have in the league.

Cross out this plan Danny.

There's already a combined walkout at the Derby, and this is only just the start of our campaign.

Admit that you've f**ked up, reverse the decision, and we can return to providing the most famous atmosphere in the land.

More coming in the evening.

Clocks ticking..."

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I am struggling to see a reason for the scale of the angst. Many sports have a designated Grand Final home.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users