A-League threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

A-League threads [Merged]

Berwick boy

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2004
I see his point 100%.

The AFL was an off shoot of the VFL…other teams agreed to join the strongest league in the land which was ALWAYS playing the Grand Final at the G.

You knew that…end off story.

"A" league “totally” different. From day one top of the pop hosts the Grand Final...end of argument.

Out of nowhere the rule just changes overnight to the secret highest (?) bidder, or so it seems.

I don’t even like soccer that much but my relatives do and they are going ape sh!t. This is BIG in the soccer world…trust me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I am struggling to see a reason for the scale of the angst. Many sports have a designated Grand Final home.

With all due respect, you don’t get it because you are not a Sokkah person. Literally every A-League scribe is gobsmacked by this decision and every fan is outraged. The players too (many have commented on social media). It’s a grab for money at the expense of the fans and we are not taking it.

One thing is for sure... If you don’t understand it yet, i think you are about to find out. The APL declared war last night. If we lose, the A-League dies with it. This is how serious it is.

Yeah Ian is at risk of being called a hypocrite. If I was a crows or eagles supporter I could relate but I’m not and I get to have my cake and eat it with the GF locked in at the G.

Footy has 100+ years of tradition of playing the GF at the MCG. Interstate teams joined a Victorian comp, The A-League has 18 years of the highest qualifying team hosting the GF. I’m not a hypocrite. You just don;t get it.

FWIW, this is Simon Hill's take.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
This explains the mood of your A-League punter very well: If you have any questions, feel free to ask, because there is a lot to digest.

Mike Tuckerman 4 hours ago

A late-night statement on the back of the most tumultuous 48 hours in A-League history suggests the only way things will change is if fans initiate a league-wide boycott of games.

Monday’s extraordinary announcement that the A-League Grand Final has been sold to the city of Sydney and the New South Wales government’s tourism arm Destination NSW has unleashed the most visceral outpouring of rage we’ve seen in decades in Australian football.

It’s worse than when former FFA chief executive David Gallop failed to defend fans after The Sunday Telegraph published the identities of 198 banned supporters back in 2015 – many of whom had been banned for entirely spurious reasons.

A concerted boycott saw attendances drop by more than a third in the wake of that report, and you could argue they’ve never really bounced back.

But what’s different about this decision to sell off hosting rights to the Grand Final for three years is the fact that it affects every A-League fan.

All across Australia and New Zealand, fans in every A-League city have spent the past 17 seasons dreaming of the right to watch their team host the decider.

Many of our most cherished memories hail from Grand Final day – from the first Orange Sunday in Brisbane, to Archie Thompson’s five-goal haul at Docklands, to the afternoon South Australian fans painted the Adelaide Oval red and finally celebrated a championship.

But not anymore.

After two days of roiling anger across every social media channel you care to read, the Australian Professional Leagues released a four-paragraph statement at 11pm AEDT overnight reaffirming their commitment to hosting this year’s decider in Sydney.

Signed originally by representatives of all 12 A-League Men clubs – at least until the APL pulled the post down and re-posted to social media with names removed – the statement is proof that administrators plan to double down on what is undoubtedly the most unpopular decision is A-League history.

And the only way to respond to them is by voting with your feet.

No one denies that Australian football has long been desperate for more cash. But the APL signed a $200 million, five-year broadcast deal with Paramount barely 18 months ago.

They sold a 33 per cent stake in the league worth a reported $140 million to private equity firm Silver Lake hardly six months later.

What on earth have they spent the money on? KeepUp, for one thing.

A couple of the big-name journos they’ve brought in-house to produce content got an unfortunate taste of corporate propaganda when they were tasked with lobbing a few softballs the way of APL chief executive Danny Townsend in the wake of the announcement.

I’ve tried a few times to secure an audience with Danny myself, but I’ve always been given the run-around.

I can’t hold my peace on what I think is unequivocally the worst decision the A-League has ever made though.

If the APL thinks the way to get more fans into the A-League is by doing surreptitious deals with Destination NSW, they should quit the football business and start running some hotels.

Because this decision is anti-football. It’s a slap in the face to fans and it erases 17 years of actual Grand Final history – not the laughable ‘tradition’ the APL claims they’ll create.

And it’s not the first time the APL and its executives have spectacularly misread the room.

What happens next is largely up to them – but only because they seem so determined to compound their egregious error.

The alleged $15-20 million they’ll receive for the deal isn’t worth it. If the game goes broke without it, it was in even worse shape than anyone thought.

But more than at any other time in the A-League’s checkered history, now is the time for fans to make a stand. Already there’s a mass walk-out planned on the terraces at the Melbourne Derby on Saturday night.

And on the back of the Socceroos’ glorious World Cup campaign, it seems incredible it has come to this.

But it’s the only way they’ll learn.

The APL must be reminded: football without fans is nothing.

Reactions: 1 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Would you have the same reaction if Aami Park was named as the home of the GF?

OK, so when the APL made the announcement on Monday, Danny Townsend stated that they spoke to other state governments and NSW made the best offer. Then later that day the VIC Government confirmed they were never approached. Straight out of the Scott Morrison gaslighting playbook.

To answer your question, yes. I would not have supported it. Much like how Sydney FC and WSW fans are criticising it now. However, the possibility of this ever occurring is zero. They were never interested in negotiating with Victoria.

Reactions: 4 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
There is widespread condemnation of the decision - fans, players, media etc. And I am yet to read a good article justifying the decision.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Would you have the same reaction if Aami Park was named as the home of the GF?
As I4 said Sydney fans are against the move.
As far I know i n Australia we have 3 national leagues where the GF is held in the same city every year. The 1st 2 were born out of leagues from that city- AFL and NRL- very different from the A League- are both are big enough to sell out no matter who plays. the 3rd is netball which sold the GF to Perth (I think). there was a level of outrage too amongst the netball community, but they dont have the same level of passionate fans, or the same level of media interest.

Initially i thought the money sounded pretty good, but the Mike Tuckerman article does put it in some context.
it is a good slap in the face to any committed fan from outside of NSW, and really adds to the idea of the Sydney centric governing body- Football Australia.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
There is widespread condemnation of the decision - fans, players, media etc. And I am yet to read a good article justifying the decision.
yeah, the KeepUp article I posted earlier was terrible- the only justification is money but they wont admit that, and probably the major reason is FA's love of Sydney, and they cant admit that.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne

Actually, the official KeepUp podcast spent 5 minutes doing a bit of a propaganda routine on Monday. Tom Smithies, who is/was a respected journalist in the industry, is now a laughing stock. :mhihi

Initially i thought the money sounded pretty good, but the Mike Tuckerman article does put it in some context.
it is a good slap in the face to any committed fan from outside of NSW, and really adds to the idea of the Sydney centric governing body- Football Australia.

I've tried to keep the whole “Sydney Centric” theme of out of this, but it’s hard to can’t ignore the fact that Danny Townsend used to be the Sydney FC CEO and a couple of the APL board members have close ties to NewsCorp and the NSW Liberal Party… especially considering they did not put this deal out to tender and only negotiated with the NSW Govt.

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
I've been a Victory fan since day dot, stood in the terrace at the old Olympic Park, seen the league ebb and flow over the years, and have enjoyed watching the younger players in various teams over the last few seasons in particular.

This decision by the APL is the worst, most short sighted, idea possible. Totally neglects the fans, is a short term money grab. If 2 Vic based teams couldnt fill AAMI park for the decider last year, how might Perth vs Wellington go in Sydney? Or Western United vs Macarthur? Will be embarrassing to see a large stadium look essentially empty.

There is also not the corporate support in the A-Leauges that exist in AFL and NRL, so they cant pad the stadium attendance to make it seem full. And even then, nearly every team's active support has said they will boycott, removing atmosphere which is one of the main points of difference between A-Leagues and the other codes

Horrendous decision, off the back some really positive sentiment created by the national teams

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Devil's advocate - Given that lack of attendance by either fans or corps, doesn't that make the deal given by NSW Govt more lucrative?

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I've been a Victory fan since day dot, stood in the terrace at the old Olympic Park, seen the league ebb and flow over the years, and have enjoyed watching the younger players in various teams over the last few seasons in particular.

This decision by the APL is the worst, most short sighted, idea possible. Totally neglects the fans, is a short term money grab. If 2 Vic based teams couldnt fill AAMI park for the decider last year, how might Perth vs Wellington go in Sydney? Or Western United vs Macarthur? Will be embarrassing to see a large stadium look essentially empty.

There is also not the corporate support in the A-Leauges that exist in AFL and NRL, so they cant pad the stadium attendance to make it seem full. And even then, nearly every team's active support has said they will boycott, removing atmosphere which is one of the main points of difference between A-Leagues and the other codes

Horrendous decision, off the back some really positive sentiment created by the national teams

well said.

People do not understand that Sokkah and the AFL are culturally different terms of the way they support their team and their game. If this situation happened in footy, footy fans just bend over and cop it. I’m sorry, but it’s true. I can provide numerous examples of this.

Victory and City supporter groups both announced today that there will be a season long boycott after the walk out on Saturday night. We will fight this to the bitter end. And we will win. we have to.

Devil's advocate - Given that lack of attendance by either fans or corps, doesn't that make the deal given by NSW Govt more lucrative?

I get what you’re saying, but i would look at it another way. If no one visits NSW from interstate for the GF, then what is the incentive for the NSW to stick to the deal? If there are no visitors, there is no return on their investment.

The Sydney FC supporters group came out today… while they have not announced a season long boycott, they have announced a ban on attending finals. They specifically talked about refusing to attend the GF as a neutral. So again, what is the incentive for Visit NSW?

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
well said.

People do not understand that Sokkah and the AFL are culturally different terms of the way they support their team and their game. If this situation happened in footy, footy fans just bend over and cop it. I’m sorry, but it’s true. I can provide numerous examples of this.

Victory and City supporter groups both announced today that there will be a season long boycott after the walk out on Saturday night. We will fight this to the bitter end. And we will win. we have to.

Soccer supporters try and claim some sort of superiority in passion. To me its a self-indulgent attitude, it's like they are the spectacle. And perhaps because of the nature of games, the lack of scoring, lack of action at times, the idea that fans need to "entertain" themsleves becuase the game itself doesn't, encourages the fan to entertain themselves. Flares, chants etc are much easier and perhaps needed when not much is happening on the pitch. I think this is more self-indulgence than passion.

I go to the footy and love wtaching the game. Atmosphere is generally dictated by the game itself. It can't be manufactured. I could care less about chants and what other supporters are doing. I love crowd banter. I love the fact opposition supporters can sit together, have some digs at each other and walk away without a fight erupting or security required. I love the game and admire the players talent and skill. Fan behaviour is almost irrelevant to my enjoyment. That being said the 2017 finals series is still my favourite memory of supporting the AFL. The crowd atmosphere was amazing. But the fans are not the game, just another part of it.

All that being said the decision is still crap.

Reactions: 3 users

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
For an atmosphere that cant be manufactured, AFL clubs sure spend a lot of time playing music, doing count downs, roar metres, etc. AFL and AFL clubs do everything possible to get the crowd involved to create an atmosphere.

I think thats why 2017 was such a special moment for Richmond fans, so much pent up emotion in always being laughed at, or losing finals we should win, that emotional rollercoaster (especially the prelim when it was 95% Richmond in the G) really stood out.
Soccer like that every week when you closely follow a team because it's a game of inches much moreso than aussie rules. The best atmosphere in an AFL game is when it is close, neck and neck, where every decision on field is super important, that's when they talk about how much momentum the crowd gives them, the Tiger Army. Tis the same in Soccer. And some people do genuinely go to soccer games because they love being part of the active support.

Much higher % of people get ejected from AFL and Cricket games than A-Leagues, worst fights I've seen have been in AFL, and all bar one involving richmond supporters, with 2 of them being richmond vs richmond. (Carlton fan vs North fan was the worst, genuinely thought one bloke was going to fall over the ledge in the GSS he was that punch drunk)

Point is. Different sport, apples/oranges/etc

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Those complaining about the A League for sending the grand final to NSW should spare a thought about those supporters who had their club ripped out of the National League with no ability to return to the top flight.

I have zero sympathy for this league.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Those complaining about the A League for sending the grand final to NSW should spare a thought about those supporters who had their club ripped out of the National League with no ability to return to the top flight.

I follow and watch the EPL and SPL but couldn’t give a rats about the phoney B-League. It’s dying a death.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Facebook post i found from a fan that provides a bit more perspective:

I wanted to provide a bit of context to my last post as there have been a few casual fans or those that are based overseas that I've seen over the last couple of days who may not be across what is happening to Australian domestic football.

There are also those perhaps suggesting that the backlash to the A-Leagues decision is an overreaction to moving a game of football. After all, it's what the AFL and NRL do quite successfully.

To clarify, the massive backlash to this is NOT due to the decision to move a football match (although that decision is awful for a number of reasons that I won't go into here). It goes well beyond football.

The backlash is due to an organisation that has decided to disrespect, mislead, gaslight and outright lie to every single one of it's key stakeholders.

Australian domestic football fans are not naïve and they are not stupid. We KNOW we don't support a league that is of the highest quality. We KNOW that there are not sponsors lining up to give us cash. We KNOW that sometimes in order to survive, you have to think outside the box. We get it.

If the league is cash-strapped and needs this quick financial hit, then so be it. Be honest. Tell us and we will find a way to accept it, and will find a way to make it work. We've dealt with worse.

This is NOT what is happening.

This is NOT simply the league saying we need the windfall from a big financial deal and the fans rejecting the idea.

Danny Townsend and the APL (the group responsible for running Australian domestic football) have openly admitted that the focus groups they "consulted" about this concept indicated that they DID NOT support this move.

They have openly admitted that they expected backlash. Yet they decided to proceed anyway. Fair enough, that is their prerogative. But they knew the fans didn't want this and still they marketed it as something that the fans wanted.

There was an immediate backlash to this and it was abundantly clear that this was not the case. They doubled down and INSISTED that the main motivation for this decision was the fans.

A glimpse at any social media post (Original Style Melbourne, Melbourne City Terrace, Red and Black Bloc or The Cove as some of the bigger active supporter groups, For Vuck's Sake, Talking City, A-League Banter or A-League Memes as some of the more prominent supporter run sites/podcasts, or even any post on the topic by Optus Sport, Fox Sports Football (or any media outlet except 10 Football who have their heads so far buried in the sand they haven't even noticed this has happened yet)) will make the fan view immediately apparent.

For the first time in history, social media is completely united!

The launch video for the idea featured footage of many Australian footballers taken out of context, to suggest they were in favour of this move. The likes of Socceroos and Adelaide United forward Craig Goodwin and CommBank Matildas and Sydney FC forward Remy Siemsen who featured in the video have both come out to say that they DO NOT support the move and have been misrepresented in the video.

On top of this, the initial post from the A-Leagues (released at 10:20pm on a Tuesday night!) doubling down on their insistence that this was both a unanimous decision AND in the interests of the game, had to be deleted and revised because it featured the names of several club representatives who had vehemently opposed the move.

These included Perth Glory owner Tony Sage and Brisbane Roar FC chairman Chris Fong, who both indicated that they had not even been given an opportunity to vote on the proposal, which they claim was due to occur three days AFTER the APL announced the move.

In addition, Melbourne Victory chairman Anthony Di Pietro resigned his position on the APL board because the backlash from fans was so strong he couldn't stand by the initial decision in good conscience (or keep both jobs, pick which you prefer depending on your level of cynicism). Smaller clubs such as Western United FC and Wellington Phoenix FC were never even asked.

Yet STILL Danny Townsend, Paul Lederer and the APL maintained their insistence that they are acting in the best interests of the game.

Finally, there's the timing of this. Even if you take the APL at face value and accept they are acting in the best interests of all parties and ignore ALL of what has been posted above. They've said that they expected backlash to the announcement... So why on Earth would you think that releasing a controversial announcement that was likely to divide the Australian footballing community was a good idea in the aftermath of the Socceroos performances at the World Cup?

Football in Australia had finally united in a way that has barely ever been seen.
We had momentum.
We had hope!

Why would any sane person possibly think that this was the time to risk dividing the fans? What possible benefit could that have? It is genuinely beyond comprehension.

When the APL took on the running of the A-Leagues, their promise was that the fans would take centre stage in their decision making.
They lied.

They continue to insist that this is a decision that the fans want.
They don't.

They continue to use images and video of fans, players and clubs who have clearly rejected this proposal as evidence that this is an idea that the Australian footballing community is behind.
They are not.

This is why Australian domestic football fans are apoplectic. This is why they are planning walkouts across the country. This is why they are willing to let the leagues that they have invested so much time, money and heart into, die.

This is Australian football's "European Super League" moment, but rather than backing down as clubs in Europe did, the APL are doubling down on their ignorance.

This is why fans who have been there since the beginning are leaving. I am one of them. It's unlikely we'll be back.

Soccer supporters try and claim some sort of superiority in passion. To me its a self-indulgent attitude, it's like they are the spectacle. And perhaps because of the nature of games, the lack of scoring, lack of action at times, the idea that fans need to "entertain" themsleves becuase the game itself doesn't, encourages the fan to entertain themselves. Flares, chants etc are much easier and perhaps needed when not much is happening on the pitch. I think this is more self-indulgence than passion.

Grog Squad says hello.

I love the fact opposition supporters can sit together, have some digs at each other and walk away without a fight erupting or security required.

WTF? lol.

When i go to a Richmond away game where supporters of both teams sit together, i see fights more often than not. Where the hell do you sit? I hate going to game with opposition fans nearby. Hate it. I have slowly been reducing my attendance at away games in recent years.

In fact i remember round 1 this season., Essendon v Geelong at the MCG. I was at the Cricketers Arms meeting up with Victory mates before a game. I left to meet my brother on Swan St and I see 20-25 police outside the cricketers twiddling their thumbs. At the same time my brother texts me to say there is a massive brawl outside the precinct hotel between Essendon and Geelong supporters.

Interesting to note that “SMFC Mike” (a South Melbourne fan known for being a critic of the A-League) has been retweeting a lot of my tweets this week. Former NSL bitters are eating this up.

azzatiger

Tiger Cub
Nov 29, 2021
Peacock and Joey Lynch reporting that the deal was 12 mil over 3 years. Must have been desperate for the $. These franchise owners are all for themselves.

I’m a SMFC fan and know Mike personally he’s a great guy and means well.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Peacock and Joey Lynch reporting that the deal was 12 mil over 3 years. Must have been desperate for the $. These franchise owners are all for themselves.

some are saying its as high as $20 million. No one knows the real figure. $100 million isn't enough. No dollar amount is.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
For an atmosphere that cant be manufactured, AFL clubs sure spend a lot of time playing music, doing count downs, roar metres, etc. AFL and AFL clubs do everything possible to get the crowd involved to create an atmosphere.
That's the point. You can't manufacture it. Real fans hate all that garbage.

Reactions: 2 users