A-League threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

A-League threads [Merged]

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
When is the B-League (old NSL) starting? Might get more attendance than the A-league.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
So as things stand, it looks like 5 of the 6 original members of the APL board and the dogs who negotiated the Sydney GF deal, have left (or are about to leave) the APL board. 4 of them have of them have also departed the board of their respective A-League clubs.

- Anthony Del Piero (former Victory chairman)
- Danny Townsend (former Sydney FC CEO)
- Scott Barlow (former Sydney FC board chairman)
- Chris Fong (former Brisbane Roar board chairman and CEO)
- Paul Lederer (WSW board chairman - I believe he is staying on at WSW)

The only one left is the biggest cancer out of all of them… Simon Pearce (City board member and Silver Lake Board member).

When is the B-League (old NSL) starting? Might get more attendance than the A-league.

the NSD is starting next March. They are at the final phase of the application process.

Last edited:

JoMamma

Tiger Rookie
Oct 4, 2004
I'm hearing rumours that the APL might be disbanded and Football Australia will returm to running the A-League.

What a farce.
Don’t know if I’d be reading too much into Robbie Slater’s article. Gives a clickbait opinion piece without actually quoting any facts.

My take on the article anyway…

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Don’t know if I’d be reading too much into Robbie Slater’s article. Gives a clickbait opinion piece without actually quoting any facts.

My take on the article anyway…

It was more really Adam Peacocks response on Twitter that raised my eyebrows, but I take your point.

I think "rebundling" or reintegrating the AL back into the FA fold would be impossible to do when you factor in the $130m investment from Silver Lake. That money would have to be paid back with interest.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
The fans have won :love:

An important update from the A-Leagues

Today, the A-Leagues announced a brand-new round.

In partnership with the NSW Government and Destination NSW (DNSW) the A-Leagues will play all 12 Isuzu UTE A-League Men and Liberty A-League Women matches in Sydney between Friday January 12 and Sunday January 14, 2024.

The round will be called ‘Unite Round’ and is being introduced for both this season (2023-24) and next season (2024-25).

The new A-Leagues round does not replace our Club's traditional U-NITE matches (men and women) on 26 January, which has celebrated multicultural Australia since the 2009/10 men's season.

With the introduction of the new A-Leagues round, the hosting rights for the Grand Final will revert to the traditional system, with the highest ranked Semi Final winner playing host.

During the A-Leagues ‘Unite Round’, a range of double header matches will be hosted at Allianz Stadium, CommBank Stadium and Leichhardt Oval, and grassroots tournaments for junior boys and girls will take place at venues across Sydney. A live site at Moore Park will also feature a fan park and viewing party for the AFC Asian Cup match in Qatar between Australia and India’s men’s teams on Saturday 13 January at 10:30pm AEDT.

For the Isuzu UTE A-League Men, there will be an additional round - making it a 27-game regular season and the existing Round 12 fixtures will be moved to new midweek dates. For the Liberty A-League Women, the round will use the existing Round 12 fixtures, keeping the season as a 22-game regular season.

Melbourne Victory’s new Round 12 fixtures will commence on Friday 12 January when our Victory Women host Perth Glory at Leichhardt Oval, before the Victory Men match up against the Champions Central Coast Mariners on Saturday 13 January at Allianz Stadium.

As a result of the ‘Unite Round’ fixture, the Isuzu UTE A-League Men’s Round 12 home clash against Western United, originally scheduled for Friday 12 January will be rescheduled to an alternate date, to be confirmed.

With Melbourne Victory maintaining home rights for the Liberty A-League Women's ‘Unite Round’, all Melbourne Victory Members will receive priority access to this game, with details being provided closer to the women's match.

Tickets for the A-Leagues new Unite round will go on sale from Monday 6 November. Further information to come.

This A-Leagues event is supported by the NSW Government through its tourism and major events agency, Destination NSW.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne

Perhaps it may rekindle a long lost interest in local club football....Wait & see....

There is a lot to digest here.

I’ll start with the 8 foundation teams. Some people will roll their eyes as all teams are from VIC and NSW. But at least 2 more will be added by 2025 (possibly 4). Keeping costs down will be a factor in the early years.

There was a rumor a month ago that 10 teams have been told they are in. 8 of the 10 teams rumored back then were the announced 8 foundation teams. The other 2 teams were South Hobart and Sunshine Coast. I am pretty confident they will be named teams 9 and 10 soon.

I would suggest teams 11 and 12 will be Adelaide City and Brisbane United (dependent on Football Queensland coming to the table and stop stuffing everyone around).

Season 1 will start in March/April 2025 and will be a normal home and away format, plus finals.

There is also talk of a possible third tier starting in 2025. If it happens, it will be run under a champions league format (group games and knockout games).

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010

Perhaps it may rekindle a long lost interest in local club football....Wait & see....
There is a lot to digest here.

I’ll start with the 8 foundation teams. Some people will roll their eyes as all teams are from VIC and NSW. But at least 2 more will be added by 2025 (possibly 4). Keeping costs down will be a factor in the early years.

There was a rumor a month ago that 10 teams have been told they are in. 8 of the 10 teams rumored back then were the announced 8 foundation teams. The other 2 teams were South Hobart and Sunshine Coast. I am pretty confident they will be named teams 9 and 10 soon.

I would suggest teams 11 and 12 will be Adelaide City and Brisbane United (dependent on Football Queensland coming to the table and stop stuffing everyone around).

Season 1 will start in March/April 2025 and will be a normal home and away format, plus finals.

There is also talk of a possible third tier starting in 2025. If it happens, it will be run under a champions league format (group games and knockout games).
Does this mean back to the good old days where one can't tell what is the more important contest - the one on the pitch, or winning ethnic superiority on the terraces, shaping up against the opposing fans?

• Haha

JoMamma

Tiger Rookie
Oct 4, 2004
Does this mean back to the good old days where one can't tell what is the more important contest - the one on the pitch, or winning ethnic superiority on the terraces, shaping up against the opposing fans?

Must have been ethnic superiority that made that heroic Melbourne Victory tough guy throw a sand bucket at that ethnic keeper Tom Glover.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne

Not gonna lie. I do have concerns about Sydney United. I think they should have been banned for the first 1-2 seasons. Not sure if they deserved the privilege of being an inaugural member.

Must have been ethnic superiority that made that heroic Melbourne Victory tough guy throw a sand bucket at that ethnic keeper Tom Glover.

The Sydney GF was cancelled mate. Happy days.

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
SBS now!!
11.30am kick off
Live World Cup Qualifier
Brazil v Argentina
Maracana, Rio de Janiero

20231122_112712.jpg

20231122_112516.jpg