Adem Yze | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Adem Yze

1969. I was in the forward pocket at Princes Park that day with my Dad and older brother as a very young fella not far from the cheer squad. We had to win that game to play finals and even then rely on the Cats to beat the Hawks at Kardinia Park. We looked gone and Bugsy was moved to FF late in the 2nd quarter and kicked 8 and we won by a few kicking away late. He took one ripping mark flying over the pack really close to us, I can still see it in my mind.
That day was also famous because we were all listening on our radios to the Cats/Hawks game late in the last quarter and an almighty cheer went up when Doug Wade (I think) kicked a late goal to give the Cats the win. The players were all looking around wondering what had happened !!
History shows we smashed the cats by 20 goals in the semi final and went on to win the flag.
Maybe a flag winning move by T-Shirt Tommy
Gee Sin. For an old bugger you have a great memory for detail! :giggle:
I was there that day and had forgotten so much of it. The bit about listening to the results on the radio I definitely do remember! :)

Reactions: 5 users
I was there that day and had forgotten so much of it. The bit about listening to the results on the radio I definitely do remember! :)
steady on Quickdraw , semi old if you don't mind. I have older brothers who I have listened to over the years talking about these games.

Do you remember that the week before we beat the Hawks at Glenferrie oval as well ? Richmond versus Peter Hudson

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
steady on Quickdraw , semi old if you don't mind. I have older brothers who I have listened to over the years talking about these games.

Do you remember that the week before we beat the Hawks at Glenferrie oval as well ? Richmond versus Peter Hudson
My only memory of Glenferrie was a game where it absolutely bucketed down all day. We were standing behind the goals at the Northern end (other end from the railway). I have never been so wet.

In one play *smile* Clay gained about 70m down the wing by continually kicking the ball along the ground while hotly pursued by his opponent. Stupid Hawks supporters were yelling out "it's football, not soccer".

Funny what stick in your mind :cool:

Reactions: 3 users
My only memory of Glenferrie was a game where it absolutely bucketed down all day. We were standing behind the goals at the Northern end (other end from the railway). I have never been so wet.

In one play *smile* Clay gained about 70m down the wing by continually kicking the ball along the ground while hotly pursued by his opponent. Stupid Hawks supporters were yelling out "it's football, not soccer".

Funny what stick in your mind :cool:
I may have been at that game, I remember one match where it was a quagmire.

“Smile” Clay :ROFLMAO: . Need to call him Richard to beat the swear filter

Reactions: 3 users
Listened to it on a hmv transistor in the shed. Carried 24 on my back at school.
Probably his most famous game.
The stuff of legends. Shattered that we traded him. But Ian Stewart was a freak footballer.

Reactions: 1 users
Good call snags.

I can recall a bloke called Tom Hafey being interviewed on World of Sport and when asked after a good win if Richmond would go into the next week we'd have an unchanged lineup.

Tommy said something to the effect that we'd look at the opposition and pick a team to counter/defeat that. The panel were intrigued that a successful team could leave out a player and bring someone else in because the likely opposition skills/traits/attributes. These days it's probably called team balance.

Just on Tommy, I saw a couple of comments that he didn't move players if they were getting beaten. I call recall a few instances where Barry Richardson was moved to CHF because Royce wasn't having much influence (probably the knee that cruelled his amazing career). I can also recall Billy Barrot going to FF and kicking goals (on Wes Lofts from memory). :cool:

Hey, it isn't an absolute, even Hafey and Hardwick moved players occasionally. But I do remember seeing Hafey say a few times that he didn't move specific players because he expected them to improve and beat their opponent.

DS

Hardwick moves were big clunky moves. A damn wall to stop a flood, usually too late. Ooz seems to tweak and tweak again. Smooth moves that roll with the game. A Taoist coach?

Reactions: 4 users
Hardwick moves were big clunky moves. A damn wall to stop a flood, usually too late. Ooz seems to tweak and tweak again. Smooth moves that roll with the game. A Taoist coach?
Dimma’s background is accounting; he puts numbers where they need to go to create balance.

Whereas Ooze (so far), seems to be more of an architect; developing structures for how he wants things to flow.

Reactions: 6 users
AFL coaching is an ecosystem like everything else.

System coaches like Hardwick are like big Brontosaurs - tactically, you know what is coming, but the sheer momentum of their system collects everything in its path.

This is how we played 2017-2020.

If we accept that there are system coaches value tactical consistency above all else, we must also accept that there are predators to the system coaches too.

There’s great opportunity to be the T-Rex and bring these system coaches down. If you know what a side is going to do tactically, the adaptive coach looks to skewer them by exposing known weaknesses.

Adaptive coaches - and skilled forward scouts - can wreak havoc in the AFL landscape. Literally bring the best-laid plans undone.

Like it or not, Chris Scott is an adaptive coach. So is Yze.

The difficulty of adaptive coaching is clear - you don’t rely on consistent tactical systems like some teams do. You rely on your players to show initiative and leadership instead. They need to be ready to perform varying roles from week to week, quarter to quarter.

More than anything, adaptive coaches like to shut games down. Until Yze has a better list to work with, a list with which he can first shut games down, then blow them open, we can expect to be a dour side in 2024.

Which is perfectly fine if we are developing as a team and learning how Yze wants to set up and play.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Hardwick definitely backed his system to win, but he also made many in-game moves, both in personnel and in system that helped win games, including big games, over the years.
A couple of examples stand out- there will be many others but- a game we played in Brisbane- i think the 2019 final, Luke Hodge was dominating early, constantly picking off our forward handball. So we stopped the long forward handballs into space, and Hodge stopped constantly intercepting, and after conceding the early lead we got right on top. Another was the 2020 GF. Stewart was close to BOG early, so we moved Castagna to be his closet opponent, then dragged him away from where he wanted to intercept by getting dangerous. Again we then ran over the Cats.
Not big moves, not earth shattering moves, but changes that helped us win.

Hardwick definitely backed his system to win, but he also made many in-game moves, both in personnel and in system that helped win games, including big games, over the years.
A couple of examples stand out- there will be many others but- a game we played in Brisbane- i think the 2019 final, Luke Hodge was dominating early, constantly picking off our forward handball. So we stopped the long forward handballs into space, and Hodge stopped constantly intercepting, and after conceding the early lead we got right on top. Another was the 2020 GF. Stewart was close to BOG early, so we moved Castagna to be his closet opponent, then dragged him away from where he wanted to intercept by getting dangerous. Again we then ran over the Cats.
Not big moves, not earth shattering moves, but changes that helped us win.

Yeah Hardwick is tactically superb. Amazed it still gets overlooked here.

How many times did we either 1) Come back in big games and 2) Get beat during the year, Dimma would disect why and how we lost, make changes to style/personell and turn the tables in big games. See's the game amazingly does Dimma.

See that he already has Gold Coast flying defensively. Small sample size but they are ranked number 1 in the league by Champion Data for what they do without the football i.e.

- They are the hardest team to turn a possession into a score
- Ranked number 1 in defending scores from an inside 50
- 5th best in stopping opposition ball movement

He just needs to get them playing better offensively and get some good quality half-backs to kick start a rebound game. Mac Andrew will help turn that around as an elite intercept defender shortly.

Note - We are the 4th worst team in defending opposition ball movement.

Reactions: 7 users

How many times did we either 1) Come back in big games and 2) Get beat during the year, Dimma would disect why and how we lost, make changes to style/personell and turn the tables in big games. See's the game amazingly does Dimma.

See that he already has Gold Coast flying defensively. Small sample size but they are ranked number 1 in the league by Champion Data for what they do without the football i.e.

He just needs to get them playing better offensively and get some good quality half-backs to kick start a rebound game. Mac Andrew will help turn that around as an elite intercept defender shortly.

we were clearly a tactical basket case in 2016. none of what hardwick tried worked, with a pretty good list too.

part of making the club a happier place was freeing the players up offensively. this is amazing in itself because Hardwick is first and foremost a defensively-oriented coach. but he had to try something and the rest is history.

there was very little system in our ball movement in 2017. mistakes with ball in hand were celebrated, but the one thing Hardwick demanded was defensive accountability. plenty of player accounts at the time suggest that training was defensive drill after defensive drill.

the other side of the game, the chaos that confounded the competition, is what gets all the attention. what gets forgotten is how difficult we were to score against during our golden run.

that is hardwick to a tee.

Reactions: 1 user
Let's not forget Dimma was on the verge of getting sacked in 2016 offcourse he deserves credit for turning it around. Let me tell you through credit needs to go to all his assistants and Balme they made a huge difference like it or not when they left one by one he wasn't great in the box to slow to react don't overlook that.

Let's not forget the talent Dimma has available to. There not in a rebuild mode we a. We got a beauty in Yze , but he needs time. The systems and numbers will come slowly. Good sign of a coach is when young player improve and we're seeing that to. What I like about Yze he doesn't over complicate the basics players play in there best position see Miller and Ross and he said no Balta will stay forward. Dimma didn't do that and it stalled a few kids progress.

Reactions: 4 users