Adem Yze | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Adem Yze

This may be splitting hairs but I would say Hardwick was a strategic coach and Yze is more tactical.

Strategy is generally used to denote an overall approach. Hardwick set up his systems and let them run making a few changes here and there. But the bigger emphasis is on strategy.

Tactics are what happens in the moment, the changes made at a more micro level. Yze seems to do this more often.

All coaches do both but some rely more on strategy and some more on tactics. There is no correct way to balance the two although a good coach will understand which they are better at and coach accordingly.

DS

Reactions: 8 users
I reckon Zieball doing a good job with our midfield clearances and stoppages a real focus now change of the guard.

Reactions: 3 users
Let's not forget the talent Dimma has available to. There not in a rebuild mode we a. We got a beauty in Yze , but he needs time. The systems and numbers will come slowly. Good sign of a coach is when young player improve and we're seeing that to. What I like about Yze he doesn't over complicate the basics players play in there best position see Miller and Ross and he said no Balta will stay forward. Dimma didn't do that and it stalled a few kids progress.
That's right daniel. Depends on what quality you have. I've noticed some players look more relaxed under Ooze, especially Bolton.

Reactions: 4 users
This may be splitting hairs but I would say Hardwick was a strategic coach and Yze is more tactical.

Strategy is generally used to denote an overall approach. Hardwick set up his systems and let them run making a few changes here and there. But the bigger emphasis is on strategy.

Tactics are what happens in the moment, the changes made at a more micro level. Yze seems to do this more often.

All coaches do both but some rely more on strategy and some more on tactics. There is no correct way to balance the two although a good coach will understand which they are better at and coach accordingly.

DS
Early days yet David. Dimma knew his players inside out. He also had a more mature list and usually picked those same players he was comfortable with. Or so it seems.
Yze still finding his feet and learning his players strengths, weaknesses and what makes them tick. I think he’s playing a lot more of the younger, inexperienced kids as well. He’ll make this team “his own”.

I think further on, Yze will amalgamate the two facets of play. I look forward to see how he implements them.
Another draft or two, some older players going out, new players in.
His team, his style, long term strategy and game day tactical knowledge. His assistants imbuing and developing their style and a good knowledge of his players. I look forward to what may be. It’s not all doom and gloom for me.

Reactions: 10 users
No doom and gloom here either, I reckon we picked the right bloke to coach. We recently won a few flags, there was always going to be a lean period following this. He is doing well with what he has.

Just have to make sure we give him the time to develop a new dynasty team.

He may alter the balance between strategy and tactics as he develops the team and gains more experience as a coach. We are on the next part of our journey and it looks to be exciting. Can't stay up the top forever, what you do need is hope - Yze is showing we can have hope and the young players are starting to give us hope.

DS

1969. I was in the forward pocket at Princes Park that day with my Dad and older brother as a very young fella not far from the cheer squad. We had to win that game to play finals and even then rely on the Cats to beat the Hawks at Kardinia Park. We looked gone and Bugsy was moved to FF late in the 2nd quarter and kicked 8 and we won by a few kicking away late, I think we kicked 8 or 9 in the last quarter. He took one ripping mark flying over the pack really close to us, I can still see it in my mind.
That day was also famous because we were all listening on our radios to the Cats/Hawks game late in the last quarter and an almighty cheer went up when Doug Wade (I think) kicked a late goal to give the Cats the win. The players were all looking around wondering what had happened !!
History shows we smashed the cats by 20 goals in the semi final and went on to win the flag.
Maybe a flag winning move by T-Shirt Tommy
Great story Sin and brings back one of my favourite memories. I was at the game too, with my parents, standing room on northern side of the ground in front of the old press box.
We were standing around after the game soaking up the atmosphere of seeing a phenomenal game by my idol and also the news of making the finals.
We were very close to the visiting team players race and Billy suddenly appeared and was surrounded by autograph hunters like myself. He was about to be interviewed live on radio and had to make his way to the press box.
Just my luck I was last in the queue for an autograph (still have the book). He was still in full playing gear and the old Richmond dressing gown. As he tried to walk up the hill to the press box he was slipping on the asphalt with the nail in stops in his boots. Guess who had to assist him up the hill? Only 55 years ago and seems like yesterday!

• Love
Great story Sin and brings back one of my favourite memories. I was at the game too, with my parents, standing room on northern side of the ground in front of the old press box.
We were standing around after the game soaking up the atmosphere of seeing a phenomenal game by my idol and also the news of making the finals.
We were very close to the visiting team players race and Billy suddenly appeared and was surrounded by autograph hunters like myself. He was about to be interviewed live on radio and had to make his way to the press box.
Just my luck I was last in the queue for an autograph (still have the book). He was still in full playing gear and the old Richmond dressing gown. As he tried to walk up the hill to the press box he was slipping on the asphalt with the nail in stops in his boots. Guess who had to assist him up the hill? Only 55 years ago and seems like yesterday!
Love it Billy. We probably passed each other as I was a young tacker with a duffel coat which read Billy 24 Barrot 😁

He would be turning 80 next month. RIP

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah Hardwick is tactically superb. Amazed it still gets overlooked here.

How many times did we either 1) Come back in big games and 2) Get beat during the year, Dimma would disect why and how we lost, make changes to style/personell and turn the tables in big games. See's the game amazingly does Dimma.

See that he already has Gold Coast flying defensively. Small sample size but they are ranked number 1 in the league by Champion Data for what they do without the football i.e.

- They are the hardest team to turn a possession into a score
- Ranked number 1 in defending scores from an inside 50
- 5th best in stopping opposition ball movement

He just needs to get them playing better offensively and get some good quality half-backs to kick start a rebound game. Mac Andrew will help turn that around as an elite intercept defender shortly.

Note - We are the 4th worst team in defending opposition ball movement.

I wouldn't read too much into GC defensive record at this stage. Against two good sides (Giants and Dogs) they were towelled up. They held us and Adelaide (currently winless) to low scores. I have a feeling the former will occur more than the latter.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Love it Billy. We probably passed each other as I was a young tacker with a duffel coat which read Billy 24 Barrot 😁

He would be turning 80 next month. RIP
Love hearing those stories lads.
It was a bit before my time, but my Dad used to refer to that game as an exception to Tommy's usual coaching style. Like all Tiger fans, he loved Tommy, but would often bemoan his reluctance to move players around on game day.
Interestingly, quite a few years ago I worked for a bloke who is great mates with KB and knows Tommy quite well through him. He told me that Tommy would talk about how Billy was copping an absolute bath that day and he had no choice but to get him out of the middle, but didn't know what to do with him and was worried about how to move him without crushing Billy's (fragile) ego.
So instead of giving it straight to Billy "You're get'n killed in there son, we need to give someone else a go", he tucked him under his arm and went on with a bit of a line about how "the only way we're gunna beat 'em is if you go forward and kick a few goals for us", "the team needs you", "you're our only hope", all that sort of guff, but really, he was just trying to get him out of the way.
Reckons he was as surprised as anyone when his brilliant move paid off.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Let's not forget Dimma was on the verge of getting sacked in 2016 offcourse he deserves credit for turning it around. Let me tell you through credit needs to go to all his assistants and Balme they made a huge difference like it or not when they left one by one he wasn't great in the box to slow to react don't overlook that.
*smile*

• Haha
Love hearing those stories lads.
It was a bit before my time, but my Dad used to refer to that game as an exception to Tommy's usual coaching style. Like all Tiger fans, he loved Tommy, but would often bemoan his reluctance to move players around on game day.
Interestingly, quite a few years ago I worked for a bloke who is great mates with KB and knows Tommy quite well through him. He told me that Tommy would talk about how Billy was copping an absolute bath that day and he had no choice but to get him out of the middle, but didn't know what to do with him and was worried about how to move him without crushing Billy's (fragile) ego.
So instead of giving it straight to Billy "You're get'n killed in there son, we need to give someone else a go", he tucked him under his arm and went on with a bit of a line about how "the only way we're gunna beat 'em is if you go forward and kick a few goals for us", "the team needs you", "you're our only hope", all that sort of guff, but really, he was just trying to get him out of the way.
Reckons he was as surprised as anyone when his brilliant move paid off.
Ha, great story

I don’t know about his ego but Billy was a really up and down player. When he was on he was one of the best players in the game, unbeatable. When he played poorly it was really poor.

Big games and finals were his go. If there was a norm smith medal in those days he would have won in 1969.

Reactions: 1 user
He just needs to get them playing better offensively and get some good quality half-backs to kick start a rebound game.
Dimma is working on that, played Atrocious half back for 2 weeks running, & Ned Flanders half back last week (equal second high disposals for the game against GWS). Sure beats Sexton & Budarick.

Last edited:
Poor bloke might be pulling on the boots himself going by our injury toll.

Ha, great story

I don’t know about his ego but Billy was a really up and down player. When he was on he was one of the best players in the game, unbeatable. When he played poorly it was really poor.

Big games and finals were his go. If there was a norm smith medal in those days he would have won in 1969.
I think Billy admitted not long before he passed away that he would have been diagnosed as bipolar now. One of his team mates said in the book The Hafey Years that there would be days when he’d turn up full of beans, couldn’t wait to get out there, and they knew on one of those days, he’d dominate, but others when he was lethargic and didn’t really want to play, he’d be horrid.

• Sad
I always wonder if Ooze can convince a good player to come over from the Deez as a trade next season.

I think Billy admitted not long before he passed away that he would have been diagnosed as bipolar now. One of his team mates said in the book The Hafey Years that there would be days when he’d turn up full of beans, couldn’t wait to get out there, and they knew on one of those days, he’d dominate, but others when he was lethargic and didn’t really want to play, he’d be horrid.
Wow, didn’t know that

Makes sense when you think back

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah Hardwick is tactically superb. Amazed it still gets overlooked here.

How many times did we either 1) Come back in big games and 2) Get beat during the year, Dimma would disect why and how we lost, make changes to style/personell and turn the tables in big games. See's the game amazingly does Dimma.

On the money Leysy.
Some posters seem to think the best way to pump up Ooze is to belittle Dimma.
Or are really heartbroken his marriage broke up while he was working at the Tiges.

As Brodders pointed out Dimma made in-game moves. Sure he didnt always do it when some wanted him to, but he made enough to win some big games.
1) and 2) so very true.
I always go back to the 2017 GF.
FIrst quarter the crows could move the ball forward. At 1/4 time and half time there were positional adjustments, maybe a tighter zone or a more attacking cross ground zone? Whichever way the result was the crows went down the line to Dave or kicked it to Alex. Their run was gone. Thats Dimma in the box tweaking for the win.

It looks like Yze is a good coach and makes good in-game decisions. We don't need to run down Dimma to say that.

Reactions: 17 users