AFLX | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFLX

Will it be any good?

• Yes

Votes: 14 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 50 47.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 21 20.0%
  • Cheese Sandwich

Votes: 28 26.7%

• Total voters
E

easy_tiger

In an ideal world, Dusty and Taylor Harris would pop heaps of IVF drugs, make loads of love and have quintuplets. Boys would be ideal, but 5 girls would not to be dont argued with either.

wait a minute, it is an ideal world :shakehead

just realised I confused AFLXXX with AFLW. sorry, its a mixed up ever changing crazy world jungle.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
The last few posts have left me scratching my head. Sorry, I'm just not there I'm afraid.

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
I don't have any problem with the AFLX if the club treats it as a training drill.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
yandb said:
I don't have any problem with the AFLX if the club treats it as a training drill.

we played 2 10 minute halves of X @ PRO today after an intraclub game

Players to play X were, Broad, CEllis, Higgo, Balta,Short,George,Miller,Smith, Marbs, Moore, Wombo, Shai, Lloyd & Concs

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
I only just realised they are playing one of the AFLX tournaments at Etihad. WTF? Surely the Storm home ground would have been more appropriate when the object is to display AFL on a different ground shape. Instead, it will look odd at Etihad only using a portion of the ground, much like the rugby games and international rules games look on a larger oval ground.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
BrisTiger24 said:
I only just realised they are playing one of the AFLX tournaments at Etihad. WTF? Surely the Storm home ground would have been more appropriate when the object is to display AFL on a different ground shape. Instead, it will look odd at Etihad only using a portion of the ground, much like the rugby games and international rules games look on a larger oval ground.

firstly, AAMI Park is Melbourne Victory's ground. And secondly, Etihad does have a rectangular configuration, which I assume will be in place for this event.

Mr Monkey

Tiger Cub
Jul 2, 2013
Ian4 said:
firstly, AAMI Park is Melbourne Victory's ground. And secondly, Etihad does have a rectangular configuration, which I assume will be in place for this event.

If you want to be 'correct' about who the tenants are for AAMI Park, the stadium hosts Home games for Melbourne Victory, Melbourne City FC, Melbourne Rebels & the Melbourne Storm. Out of the four tenants, Melbourne Storm would probably have the claim to being the 'primary tenant' considering they played the first club level game at the stadium, while Melbourne Victory is probably the lowest considering they split their home games between AAMI Park & Etihad Stadium.

Either way-- the Etihad Stadium rectangular configuration looks horrible, even if they do bring the level 1 seats in-- the seats on Level's 2 & 3 are suited to a rectangular game.

If the Melbourne Storm weren't already playing at AAMI Park on Friday night, the Melbourne-based AFLX round should've been played there.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Mr Monkey said:
If you want to be 'correct' about who the tenants are for AAMI Park, the stadium hosts Home games for Melbourne Victory, Melbourne City FC, Melbourne Rebels & the Melbourne Storm. Out of the four tenants, Melbourne Storm would probably have the claim to being the 'primary tenant' considering they played the first club level game at the stadium, while Melbourne Victory is probably the lowest considering they split their home games between AAMI Park & Etihad Stadium.

bait taken, so thanks champ. :hihi

but if you wanna be technical, Victory are comfortably the primary tenant. Not just because we have had better crowds over the years, but because the stadium was built for us. Melbourne storm wanted a 20,000 capacity. Victory wanted 40,000. If it wasn't for us, Storm would be playing out of a dog box no bigger than the old Olympic park.

As for us playing some games at Etihad, its a combination of money and because the 30,000 capacity has historically been to small for us. Our training and admin base are still located at AAMI Park of course. And one day, AAMI Park will be upgraded for us.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Ian4 said:

Touchy touchy! I'm not going to get into the debate about who owns the primary rights to AAMI, except to say as an impartial on looker from Brisbane, I associate the Storm with the ground more than any of the other co-tenants ;)

On Etihad, agree with Mr Monkey that the rectangle configuration looks half-arsed. But surely you see the irony of playing AFL on an oval like Etihad but on a rectangle playing area?

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
BrisTiger24 said:

How else are they going to fit 53,359 spectators in?

Mr Monkey

Tiger Cub
Jul 2, 2013
Ian4 said:
bait taken, so thanks champ. :hihi

but if you wanna be technical, Victory are comfortably the primary tenant. Not just because we have had better crowds over the years, but because the stadium was built for us. Melbourne storm wanted a 20,000 capacity. Victory wanted 40,000. If it wasn't for us, Storm would be playing out of a dog box no bigger than the old Olympic park.

As for us playing some games at Etihad, its a combination of money and because the 30,000 capacity has historically been to small for us. Our training and admin base are still located at AAMI Park of course. And one day, AAMI Park will be upgraded for us.

The only reason AAMI Park will get upgraded for the Melbourne Victory is because their supporters struggle to understand the concept of what a seat is.

Most people understand that seats are for sitting in-- where as Victory supporters are more interested in tearing them out and throwing them onto the pitch because their didn't see a single goal in 90 minutes of 'action'.

There's no bait to be taken, we just have two different perspectives on the purpose of AAMI Park and the claim to 'ownership' but clubs that we support.

E

easy_tiger

Mr Monkey said:
The only reason AAMI Park will get upgraded for the Melbourne Victory is because their supporters struggle to understand the concept of what a seat is.

Great handle Mr Monkey. welcome to PRE.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
BrisTiger24 said:
But surely you see the irony of playing AFL on an oval like Etihad but on a rectangle playing area?

of course I do. the strange paradox about this for people who love footy codes played in rectangular stadiums is that if AFLX takes off, it might end up being great news for sports infrastructure. The southern states have a huge shortage of rectangular stadiums and lose most of the big events to Sydney. everyone knows that footy gets most of the sports infrastructure funding in the southern states. If AFLX takes off, it could one day mean more rectangular stadiums or an upgrade of the AAMI Park capacity.

Mr Monkey said:

ah that old chestnut. luckily the ignorant bogan attitude towards the World Game in this country is not as bad as it used to be, but you still see the occasional uneducated comments. Happy to educate you in the ALeague/Socceroos/Premier League threads buddy. Otherwise, I think you should keep your opinions on subjects you clearly know nothing about to yourself.

E

easy_tiger

Ian4 said:
Otherwise, I think you should keep your opinions on subjects you clearly know nothing about to yourself.

If we all did this, it would be like the Essendon Football Club's ethics charter around here.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
easy said:
If we all did this, it would be like the Essendon Football Club's ethics charter around here.

You mean ... they actually have one?

Oh right! "Whatever it takes."

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Mr Monkey said:

Most people understand that seats are for sitting in-- where as Victory supporters are more interested in tearing them out and throwing them onto the pitch because their didn't see a single goal in 90 minutes of 'action'.

There's no bait to be taken, we just have two different perspectives on the purpose of AAMI Park and the claim to 'ownership' but clubs that we support.

Check it, a League supporter Vs a Soccer fan arguing over crowd behaviour at a square footy ground, on the Dyer-Tribe page of PRE. This off-season has officially jumped the shark, lets get on with BACK-TO-BACK FFS.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
hutstar said:
Check it, a League supporter Vs a Soccer fan arguing over crowd behaviour at a square footy ground, on the Dyer-Tribe page of PRE. This off-season has officially jumped the shark, lets get on with BACK-TO-BACK FFS.

:clap