Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Bulldogs Morris going down with another, (all but certainly career ending), knee injury might be a timely reminder to all concerned to shelf Rancey's comeback till next year.

Reactions: 4 users

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
Bulldogs Morris going down with another, (all but certainly career ending), knee injury might be a timely reminder to all concerned to shelf Rancey's comeback till next year.
Talk around the traps, he will be ready. However, I agree why mess up the current back-line. Could he be used as a forward tagger? The thing for us is flexibility.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004

Morris’s knee’s are painted on.
Rance has the ability to get back, but it’s not necessary.
The back 6 (besides short) have been in A1 form.
Plus people forget how bad Rance was in the preliminary final. He virtually handed a spot in the grand final to Collingwood.
Degoey slapped him and then his efforts on Dumb *smile* in the 2qtr ended our season.
Bring him back next year. No interruptions.

Reactions: 1 user

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
Campaigns are all about chemistry and momentum.

Said it months ago, will say it again - the coaches won’t green light this from a conditioning and tactical perspective.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Campaigns are all about chemistry and momentum.

Said it months ago, will say it again - the coaches won’t green light this from a conditioning and tactical perspective.

That settles it, rance is a certainty to play

Butch67

Tiger Rookie
Mar 31, 2014
From a very reliable source, Rance wants to play and the club doesnt want to and wont let him

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Balme has ruled out the possibility of Rance returning this year.
Also being on the LTIL means the earliest he can come back is the first week of finals ( I think)

Last edited:

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
Cannot take injured or underdone players into finals campaign. Remember Conca - came back in to play
elim final and tore his hammy again. Missed a lot of the season thru hammy injuries ( sound familiar).

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
I heard on the radio today that in the NFL an ACL recovery is 5-6 months (without LARS), which is half what we would normally go for.
I'm not a medical or biomechanics expert, so not sure what the load on the body would be in both sports, but it does make us look conservative.
BT read a text message from a surgeon however which was hugely critical of Richmond for accelerating his rehab, and said that the early work would compromise the strength of the graft. The follow up to that was we might as well play him, as there's no benefit in holding back until next year as the "damage" to the rehab is now done and can't be reversed.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I heard on the radio today that in the NFL an ACL recovery is 5-6 months (without LARS), which is half what we would normally go for.
I'm not a medical or biomechanics expert, so not sure what the load on the body would be in both sports, but it does make us look conservative.
BT read a text message from a surgeon however which was hugely critical of Richmond for accelerating his rehab, and said that the early work would compromise the strength of the graft. The follow up to that was we might as well play him, as there's no benefit in holding back until next year as the "damage" to the rehab is now done and can't be reversed.
I am no doctor but surely the recovery of ones injury is purely up to the individual. The average is 1 year but doesn’t mean one can’t recover quicker or alternatively take longer. And I am not sure how a surgeon could criticise what we have done when they are not privy to the details.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Like most supporters I want to see Rance back in Tigers colours soonest but for me only when he is fully fit including match fit, and the medico's give him an unqualified sign off as injury free. That is unlikely to happen this season so as the backline is starting to gel so well (I would still like to see Stack in there) I reckon our finals campaign will be in good hands without him. There is always next year

Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
From a very reliable source, Rance wants to play and the club doesnt want to and wont let him

"Richmond will resist the temptation to bring Alex Rance back for a finals tilt as Dale Morris’ handed the Tigers another telling reminder of the risk on Sunday.

Rance is desperate to return to play despite a Round 1 knee reconstruction and is well ahead of schedule.

But the Tigers will only play him if his surgeon Julian Feller can tell the club his knee graft is as strong as it was pre-injury.

There is little to no prospect of that diagnosis given Rance is only four months post-surgery.

The Tigers are also aware Rance would need up to a month of football conditioning as well as one or two VFL games, another challenge in his return.

Tigers football boss Neil Balme is adamant the club will not risk its five-time All Australian if there is any increased risky returning early."

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...9/news-story/b91a21d334d1d189878097480613f340 (paywalled)

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne

NFL is not a 360 degree sport like AFL.

Straight line running is not the issue its the twisting and turning and landing on uneven ground.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
NFL is not a 360 degree sport like AFL.

Straight line running is not the issue its the twisting and turning and landing on uneven ground.
That's pretty much what my gut instinct was Craig. Rance is powering his way through straight line running now. But I haven't seen him do any change of direction yet. That's where my concern would be right now, particularly for someone as agile as him. It's second nature for him to try turn on a 5c piece and sprint the other way. Sometimes you gotta be cruel to be kind I guess.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I'm starting to think that Rance will only return now if something happens to Grimes or Astbury. Not because of what happened to Morris (its completely irrelevant IMO), but because our current backline is doing the job beautifully. the biggest score we have conceded since the bye is 70 points.